Painted Trim With Bed Liner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Trim With Bed Liner

OK I did a little testing today, I went and got some of that Dupli Color bumper spray to try it out, I also had the truck bed coating as well and even tryed some of my touch up paint I got from the dealer. its not the stuff you buy at auto parts store. Anyways I prep the cladding by wet sanding and did three different sections. After drying for one day I went and strached each one to see how they held up. The bed liner paint came right off as well as my touch up paint. then came the bumper spray it actually held out the best. stayed on Oh and I failed to mention that I also tryed the fusion from krylon yeah it came off to. I figured I would share this to save some people some time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tryed three diffrent types of paint. the bedliner spray, fusion by krylon and bumper spray by dupli color I wet sanded a piece of the plastic trim and applied all three. olet set for a day and went back test the durablity by straching each one. The fusion came right off, the bed liner spray did as well. the bumper spray held up the best. Just thought I would share that with everyone.

See what i mean! I knew it was a good choice that's why I choose it glad i could help.

is it a bumpy texture like rhino lining that shops do? It looks really good and my 02 has bumper rust problems I wanted to do something like this that would look good and keep moisture out but I dont want the rough texture.

Anyone know if u can color match the bed bedliner paint. I drive about 50 miles a day on highway and my front bumper looks like s&*t. Also aj how do u like that bull bar def going to check him out on eBay. Bigrondo hit me up on that meeting I'm between the both of u in Manville RI.

looking good keep up good work

Hey ajthefisherman, just wondering how the Bed Armor on your trim is holding up? I was thinking about doing that today. Thanks.

Hey guys, my trim was all scratched and faded so i decided to paint my bumpers and trim all with spray on black bed liner. It came out awesome it stands out and has a nice rugged look i was going for. If you have any questions ask. Also tell me what you think!

How is the spray on liner holding up? I'm thinking of switching my tan/gold trim-running boards-bumper-and-such to black bedliner. Was your bumper plastic?

IMG_20151026_141324364_HDR_zpsmgybktp9.jpg

Here is the old and new together.....

My%20ex.jpg

Here is the finished job.... plus the Pillars as well.

bedliner%20plastics.jpg

Here is the old and new together.....

My%20ex.jpg

Here is the finished job.... plus the Pillars as well.

bedliner%20plastics.jpg

what kind of bed liner did you use, and did you take the trim off or just tape it?

I taped it off and it was pretty easy. I saw a post where a guy painted his rims using playing cards in between the rim and the tire so I used that method then taped it as well. Came out awesome. I used the rustoleum rattle can stuff and it is holding great. The only thing I can say is that if you have ever used any of the back to black or plastic rejuvenation stuff then make sure to wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinner first or else the paint will scratch off easily.

I taped it off and it was pretty easy. I saw a post where a guy painted his rims using playing cards in between the rim and the tire so I used that method then taped it as well. Came out awesome. I used the rustoleum rattle can stuff and it is holding great. The only thing I can say is that if you have ever used any of the back to black or plastic rejuvenation stuff then make sure to wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinner first or else the paint will scratch off easily.

Thanks! my ex is the same color as yours, right now it just has flat black spray paint and its chipping so im going to bed line it next. plasti dip your emblems! it would look dope!

Thanks! my ex is the same color as yours, right now it just has flat black spray paint and its chipping so im going to bed line it next. plasti dip your emblems! it would look dope!

I'm torn between blacking them out or just removing them and going with black ford emblems. My blacked out FX2 decals are on the way.

Back