Dropping 2000 AWD & using air shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dropping 2000 AWD & using air shocks

WncLee

Reaction score
City, State
Mars Hill,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2000 AWD 5.0 & live in the WNC mountains & want to do a torsion twist & slight rear lowering job for cornering & easier to get into as both of us have multiple lumbar spinal fusions.. On occasions we like to go hiking/mushroom hunting in an area that I wouldn't be able to access if I dropped my Ex,also we do get some snows that would be helpful to have a little extra height than a lowered truck has if needed. Are there any decent air shocks that will perform good for daily driving but allow me to pump them up to get some extra height to go over the rocks to access the hiking trails & snow? The only dealing I have had with air shocks is from my class A rv & they made a big difference with it getting into areas I wouldn't have been able to without. Just wasn't sure how much lift I could get from some, the trail I would need to go down is just 3/4 mile at slow speed & 2 miles to store if I run out of beer,milk,beer,bread or beer when deep snow. MY main goal is to have a truck that handles better than stock,not in any rush as working to fix things here & there before my upcoming quadruple lumbar fusion, I do want to start adding to my pile of parts once I heal up from surgery. Doing an airride system is out of the question for me,I will have an onboard compressor for horn setup/inflating & tools usage. Thanks for any help in advance.

Are there any decent air shocks that will perform good for daily driving but allow me to pump them up to get some extra height to go over the rocks to access the hiking trails & snow?
How can I increase my ground clearance? (Post #3 )
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79391
Really the only thing that gives you ground clearance are bigger tires. And in order to fit bigger tires you need more lift. Shackles will give you lift but no better ground clearance. A lift will give you better ground clearance in the middle i.e. breakover point and better approach and departure angles.

Back