Aftermarket wheels | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

I think the whole brake pad/rotor wear issue is driving habit related. I've been running Michelin 275/55/19's since right about 1500 miles and just changed out the pads/rotors at over 45,500 miles.(Interceptor pad upgrade:thumbsup:) I didn't take the time to do that percentage math but they were *substantially taller* when stood up side by side versus stock tire combo. I drive aggressively, no question. Triple digit speeds (uh, on a deserted road in Mexico right:D) more times than I can count and probably 75% of those miles are city driving. I'll do 150 miles in a day and never leave the OC because I have so many stops to make. My point is (if there is one) the increased brake wear from larger tires is questionable at best. I suppose the caveat in my case is that my rim/tires set up weighs substantially less than stock. IIRC is was 6lbs per corner, I posted about it but have forgotten the numbers.

Attachments

• 20140131_095738.jpg
    20140131_095738.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,305

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.......My point is (if there is one) the increased brake wear from larger tires is questionable at best. I suppose the caveat in my case is that my rim/tires set up weighs substantially less than stock. IIRC is was 6lbs per corner, I posted about it but have forgotten the numbers.
When using the tire size calculator the warning about not exceeding the 3% diameter variance specifically mentions the possibility of brake failure in doing so. I guess that could be interpreted to mean more wear and tear on them.

Peter

Originally Posted by Pratorb View Post "That size difference is so small that you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER notice a difference in stopping. Of course there will be a difference but nothing that will even come close to brake failure. If it was that sensitive then people who lift and put significantly larger tires on their jeeps would be having brake failure all the time." Pratorb, I quoted you for TRUTH! I went from stock 30" Wrangler GSA's to Dunlop 35" Mud Terrains 3-4 months after I got the Jeep. I drove my Jeep every day from 05' to April of 15'; until I was rear-ended from a stand still at over 40mph by an idiot looking at an accident and pretty blue lights instead of my tail lights... I never upgraded any brake components because I didn't need to. I could still lock up my Wrangler tires with the 35's as I used the Aluminum Alloy "Canyon Rims" that were OEM. I only put new (Wagner Thermo Quiet) brake pads and OEM rotors on her after 60K miles when it was time for a brake job. Were talking about a single piston caliber brake system here. The Explorer's brake system is more than capable of running larger wheel tire combo without any noticeable difference in stopping distance. I wouldn't go more than 1-2 inches larger in overall tire diameter over stock without upgrading the stock pads to something like EBC "Yellow Stuff" pads first. But that is a super easy upgrade and the Exp brake system will certainly handle it. Gone but not forgotten Jeep Wrangler on 35" Dunlop Mud Terrains, 3inch suspension lift, A-Z Fabrication front and rear armored bumpers and side rock sliders, and many, many more mods I did myself in my driveway/garage...

I also have a Jeep that is just for going off road and I did change the tires from something like a 28" diameter to a 33" diameter. The brakes on this Jeep were not great before the tire change and I could feel a difference but is was not very significant. I'm sure it wears the brakes out much faster but in this case I do not drive it enough for that to matter. Nice looking Jeep by the way. The bumpers and rock rails look great.

Do you have a bigger picture? Hard to tell what I'm looking at...

J/K ;-) I like the setup, but 18's are on the small side for me. Looks great though!

i think 18" would be working for me for winter tires.

i think 18" would be working for me for winter tires.
I think 18's would work. I ran 17" on my 2011 but the brake size has increased. My MKT came with 20" wheels and I ran the Ford Interceptor 18" steel wheels this past Winter with the Blizzak DMV-1 tires.

Peter

autoworksrussia, any details you care to share about the wheels?

Thanks [MENTION=290758]autoworksrussia[/MENTION]. Amazing job on the entire build!!!

now,read the whole 19 pages!im planning to go with 22x10.5 +38 offset with 265/40 tires.but im going to be lowered with h&r explorer spring which is dropped 1.6 front and 2.3 rear.will i be rubbing?or should i go with wider tires(what size),will cost more rubbing?or just stay with 22x9 +38 offset with 285/40 tires?any suggestion?

I am looking to put wheels on my new X for winter. I have 20" blizzaks and wasnt sure if I wanted to use stock rims for winter or get another replacement. Are there any other manufactures rims that would fit as it seems 20" are hard to come by.. Any known other OEMs that are same bolt pattern?

I have the same... 2014 sport w/ H&R Explorer Springs. The drop isn't the same for the sport model, due to the Sport models already lowered stance compared to other models. B&A measurements dropped it ~1.1" in front, and ~1.8" in back.

I have spacers, 19mm in front and 24mm in back. This would somewhat simulate a wider tire, though a wider tire may have rubbing on the inside of the tire. If I recall correctly, a user (from another forum) had 10.5" and didn't experience interior rubbing.

As far as rubbing on the top of the wheel, I do get that from time to time when going over bumps, especially when anyone is in the back seat. Guess that's to be expected.

I know you're probably sick of reading ;.p, but these threads were very helpful when it comes to lowering: (The last thread post 230 shows my ride with closeup pics ;))
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372389
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387554
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394483

now,read the whole 19 pages!i'm planning to go with 22x10.5 +38 offset with 265/40 tires.but i'm going to be lowered with h&r explorer spring which is dropped 1.6 front and 2.3 rear.will i be rubbing?or should i go with wider tires(what size),will cost more rubbing?or just stay with 22x9 +38 offset with 285/40 tires?any suggestion?

On a related note:

I'm trying to figure if there's something I can do temporarily (whenever I tow or am hauling a heavy load) to keep the back from rubbing? I've heard of spacers/cushions that go in between the springs. If anyone has experience with this, please msg me. Thanks!

After looking at hundreds of wheels, I didn't think any would look right on my explorer, but I ended up picking up some KMC Slides in 20 inch. Got Toyo Versado CUV 265/50/R20's mounted on it, and It looks great now IMO.

seRhCRv.jpg

The new wider tires look awesome from the front, gives it alot "meaner" stance and myModified front bumper plastic thing shows them off better too. Cut the rubber part off of it with an exacto knife and then sanded it down smooth. Gained an extra 3-4 inches of front ground clearance and it no longer scrapes when I drive off a 4 inch drop in a 4x4 SUV....

znFwjCm.jpg

The new wider tires look even better from the back, wish FORD would have used the 265 tire on all their models stock, looks 100x better when it fills the fenders up.

PntsEj3.jpg

Do you know where I can find this information? I called my dealer again today and spoke with the service manager. He kept swearing up and down that the Sport Rims were 1/2 inch wider than the 20" XLT Rims prior to 2015. He keeps saying that on the 2015 models, the 20" XLT rims are the same exact size as the 2015 Sport rims. I should have asked him for a specific part number and I don't feel like bothering him over this issue.

Bottom line, I'm just finding out if I can fit 265/50/20's or 265/55/20's or if 255 is the max width I can go on my 2015 XLT wit the 20" appearance package wheels.
The width is stamped on the rim. The sport is 9j and the XLTs I've seen are 8.5j

Your truck looks amazing with those wheels and tires and the stance is killer with the drop. How is the ride and does it rub? The one thing a hate about these Explorers is the rear fender thickness. Which tire company did you go with? Who did you purchase the wheels from? I am probably just going to go with Pirelli Plus 275/45R20's to be safe and to save a ton of money. I have not seen a 295/45R20 tire that I like that is affordable but I really like the way yours looks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Velgen VMB5
20x10.5 (+45 offset)
295/45/20
Since you haven't added the 'trim' level to your profile, I'm guessing the Ex is either a Sport or a Limited and the OEM tires were 255/50R20. Correct? Another member was asking how wide he could go with a tire but that would be on the OEM 20" wheel.

Peter

Back