What Year Seats Will Fit My 1994?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Year Seats Will Fit My 1994??

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am looking to refresh the interior of my 1994 XLT. It has tan leather seats that are tired.

Seats I know will fit the first generation Explorers:

91-94

95-2000

After that, I don't know.
I found several sets of newer Explorer seats around the city, but don't know if they will fit. Anyone know if seats from a 2007 will fit in the 94? I am not talking about in the same holes, or with the same electrical connections, just the same space width, height and length wise. Please, no speculation. Only if you know they will fit. Front leather buckets and a 60/40 rear bench.

I did search, but had no luck. I thought there was a thread in the forum about this, but maybe I am not searching correctly.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took a bunch of cab and seat measurements from my 1994 today. Tomorrow, I should have time to go check on the seats of a 2007 and see if they might fit.

I know you want real answers, but after sitting in 3rd & 4th gen Explorer's, those seats seem way wider then a 1st gen. The interior dimensions of those Explorers grew.

I know you said no speculation, but I've heard for people putting seats from a full size king Ranch in before. Fronts only, I'm sure... And I'm sure the center console had to take a hike to make that happen. Best of luck. Be sure and post your findings.

A lot of Ford seats should fit as long as you take it down past the tracks. The seat frames themselves should have multiple mounting points. I pulled seats from a newer Ranger (not sure what year but later 90's to early 2000's) and while they were very similar, I did have to run a tap through the existing holes in the frame to line up the bolts on my seat track.

To get a precise idea, you'll just have to take your current measurements and start lifting seats and taking a look at bolt patterns. A lot of them are going to be the same on the frame, it's just the padding and material that changed a lot.

"A lot of Ford seats should fit as long as you take it down past the tracks. The seat frames themselves should have multiple mounting points. I pulled seats from a newer Ranger (not sure what year but later 90's to early 2000's) and while they were very similar, I did have to run a tap through the existing holes in the frame to line up the bolts on my seat track."

I have 2nd gen seats in my truck and the 2nd ten seat rails did not fit. I ended up making a bracket to fit them in. The rears line up and bolt right in. The fronts on both sides are wildly different. It would have been better to separate the track from the old seats and move them to the new ones, but I messed up and sent the old seats and rails to the dump and found too late to make the switch. I understand form boys at TRS that seats all the way to 3rd gen fit no problems, with the tracks removed.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say. The seat frame is similar, it's the tracks and track location that changed more frequently. The bolt pattern that mounts the seat to the track frame are very similar and somewhat adjustable. I wish I got pictures when I did mine but I just swapped my 1991 tracks into the seat frames after tapping 2 holes per frame.

I was going today, but got sidetracked. Will go tomorrow and measure it out. Hopefully come back with new seats.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say. The seat frame is similar, it's the tracks and track location that changed more frequently. The bolt pattern that mounts the seat to the track frame are very similar and somewhat adjustable. I wish I got pictures when I did mine but I just swapped my 1991 tracks into the seat frames after tapping 2 holes per frame.

What seats did you use?

What seats did you use?

I regret not checking the year but it was a Ranger, newer body style. I think it had the same interior as a first gen Explorer, I think. They used those up to 1997 or so? Not as new as you're looking for but if you find a wrecked one with the windows rolled up in a junkyard... might be worthwhile. Mine looked new.

Thanks.

I am actually looking for an entire matching set, fronts and rear 60/40 bench. If I can't find a set that works, I might get the fronts and redo the rear to match.

Edit: Or, I might just say the heck with it and get some seat covers.

That's definitely going to make it harder without doing some fabrication. From what I remember, there's not much for frame on the rear seats. What I mean is, it's not like the front where you take the track off and you're good to go. I think the rears are pretty model and year specific.

Here is what I found out today:

Junk yards are full of Explorers. Most of them have trashed drivers seats.

But..
All the Explorers from 91-2007 have basically the same seat sizes (outer diameters). The seat faces are wider but the overall width are nearly the same. I measured out 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, all within an inch of my 94. All the electric motion controls are on the seats as well. Mounts are different, but not so much that they can't be modified to fit a 94. Including the rear seats. This would not be a job for the inexperienced fabricator, but anyone who can figure out an SAS should be able to make them work.

Just for info, the Flex, Escape and Expedition seats are all very close, but the mounting is so different it might not be worth the trouble.

One of the main issues would be disabling the air bag on 99 and up models before attempting to do any wiring.

Went to the first yard and they had the seats I saw in CL add yesterday. Perfect tan leather 2007. Problem is they sold the driver seat this morning. Guy offered me $175 for the rest. Need the complete set. I also found a set out of a 99, tan leather with a split in the driver seat that could easily be repaired for $150. I bet I could get them down to $100 cash.

The search continues.....

From what I saw today looking at several sports and 4 doors, they are completely different. The sport rear seats are set farther back to clear the front seats.

I'm no fabricator, but it was not that hard to create front brackets for the front mounts for my seats. However, I was using 2nd gen seats in a 1st gen truck, not really late model seats, so the gap wasn't so far. If I can find a great set of seats in Alaska, you can find some in your neck of the woods...keep looking and if you find some, grab them. You can figure out how to get them in easy enough when you have them in hand and I'm sure you a have a buddy or two who is handy with a welder. Beer and pizza goes far with my friends...just saying!!

I'm no fabricator, but it was not that hard to create front brackets for the front mounts for my seats. However, I was using 2nd gen seats in a 1st gen truck, not really late model seats, so the gap wasn't so far. If I can find a great set of seats in Alaska, you can find some in your neck of the woods...keep looking and if you find some, grab them. You can figure out how to get them in easy enough when you have them in hand and I'm sure you a have a buddy or two who is handy with a welder. Beer and pizza goes far with my friends...just saying!!

I am confident I can do the work, I was just warning others. The newer Explorers have different mounts altogether, but the seats are nearly exactly the same distance off the floor. Such as, the rear bench outside rear mounts on the earlier Explorers mount to the inside of the fender well whereas the newer generations mount to the floor in front of the fender well. The earlier Explorers front seat front mounts are angled down into the side of the foot well, whereas the newer generations are bolted flat to the floor and there is not much of a foot well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am confident I can do the work, I was just warning others. The newer Explorers have different mounts altogether, but the seats are nearly exactly the same distance off the floor. Such as, the rear bench outside rear mounts on the earlier Explorers mount to the inside of the fender well whereas the newer generations mount to the floor in front of the fender well. The earlier Explorers front seat front mounts are angled down into the side of the foot well, whereas the newer generations are bolted flat to the floor and there is not much of a foot well.

Its good to know we can physically fit most seats in our rigs with the swapping of the slide rail. I didn't know how for I could go so I grabbed the best 2 gens I could find. I would have loved to had newer ones but I'm happy with what I have.

In your case, wanting a complete front and rear set makes it quite a bit more challenging. I'm interested in how you complete this project.

Back