Locksmith couldn't program new PATS key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locksmith couldn't program new PATS key

juggar

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer XLT
So I took my explorer over to the locksmiths shop in town and tried to get a second PATs key made because my idiot friend lost the second one.

So he comes out with his OBD-II tablet thingy so he can make the second PATS key but he starts getting errors and isnt able to make a key. He says hes been making PATS keys since 2004 and has NEVER experienced this. Said hed call his tablet scan device manufacturer and see if they know anything since he recently updated it.

I provided the key that I got on eBay and he was thinking that was it but he verified it tested good as a "chip" key and was exactly like the ones he had in his shop.

All I can think of is back 5 years ago when my friend dropped the only key into the gutter and had a guy come out and make two new PATS keys for him.

So I ended up getting a cut key out of it that will do everything but start the truck.

Still worried that I might have only one key in the world that can start the truck though... :(

Any ideas? meanwhile im going to make my friend search his house high and low for the second key. God damn hes so stupid.:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 styles of Gen II PATS keys. They look different, one has a square'ish black plastic head and one has a rounded head. They are not interchangeable.

I've had several keys programmed at my Ford dealer. All my spare keys were purchased on eBay. The only time I ever had a problem was when I purchased the wrong style key. The chart said it would work, but it didn't and I ended up having to buy a key from the Ford dealer for $25.

My 2000 and 2001 Explorers/Mountaineers use the square headed key, but my 2001 ST uses the round headed key. I recently bought a spare round headed Ford logo key off Amazon for $10 w/free shipping. I will be taking it to Ford to get it programmed while I have some recalls performed.

Any possibility the remaining key was a "clone" and not a programmed key? Two original factory keys lost?

A properly equipped locksmith shouldn't have problems programming ANY key, aftermarket or not. Puzzling. :scratch:

What Is The Difference Between A Cloned Key And A Programmed Key
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-The...nd-A-Programmed-Key-/10000000178247159/g.html

I dont know all I know is that the key that works is not the original. Basically he lost both keys and had a locksmith come out and make 2 more. Im not sure if that locksmith did something that would affect me now. I had a hard time getting info on how all this works from the locksmith I went to.

I dont see why he cant just take the key and make a clone like they would at walmart or lowes. I tried going to my lowe's but they swear up and down they dont do chipped keys. But they sell them and will make you another while maintaining it will work in your car. Its like the guy working the key counter is mentally deficient or something. Bizarre.

Its my understanding that you can take the working key, go to lowes have them make another for like $50 and be good to go. God forbid you bring your own key though, they about had a mental breakdown and couldnt understand why I would ever bring them a key. How dare I right? I about got into it with the idiot at lowes.

My Ford dealer has never had a problem with me bringing them aftermarket keys. They charge $45 to cut and program it, I've had them do this on 4 different Explorers/Mountaineers over the years, I only bought one key from the dealership, as it was more convenient than getting an aftermarket key.

BTW, With cloned keys (no mater how many you have) you cannot program additional keys yourself. For that reason I prefer to have keys programmed by my dealership. A locksmith with the right equipment could also program new keys, but I find it costs more in my town.

With cloned keys (no mater how many you have) you cannot program additional keys yourself.
I think koda nailed it. If that's the case I'm surprised, but not shocked a "locksmith" didn't know that.

Might have too many keys programmed already

^ Another possibility, good catch. IIRC, a maximum of eight.

Might have too many keys programmed already

Wow, this is a thing?

Its quite possible, he got the truck in 09 with only 1 key and it didnt look OEM. It was a city work truck for the water treatment plant.

Then he got two more made in 2011 so maybe it did reach its limit.

I wonder what im supposed to do about that. My friend said dont worry we'll find the other key so I guess we will see.

I think the dealer can wipe all the keys and start over if that's the problem

1998 Owners Manual (Page 70)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98expog1e.pdf
Programming spare SecuriLock keys

Spare SecuriLock keys can be purchased from your dealership and programmed to your SecuriLock anti-theft system (up to a total of 8 keys). Your dealership can program your new SecuriLock key(s) to your vehicle or you can do it yourself using the following simple procedure. To program a new SecuriLock key yourself, you will need two previously programmed SecuriLock keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine). If two previously programmed SecuriLocky keys are not available (one or both of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must bring your vehicle to your dealership to have the spare SecuriLock key(s) programmed

I dont know all I know is that the key that works is not the original. Basically he lost both keys and had a locksmith come out and make 2 more. I m not sure if that locksmith did something that would affect me now. I had a hard time getting info on how all this works from the locksmith I went to.
Locksmith can make that very keys easily and program it also.If you learned how to make it , then it's good but don't try to do this because this is not an easy job to do.This can be done well by the professional locksmith.

Locksmith can make that very keys easily and program it also.If you learned how to make it , then it's good but don't try to do this because this is not an easy job to do.This can be done well by the professional locksmith.

Yup, I know.

Turns out my professional locksmith had something wrong with his computer. He was able to make me another key.

I used Forscan to program my keys. You can at least see how many keys are programmed and remove any you don't have any more.

Yup, I know.

Turns out my professional locksmith had something wrong with his computer. He was able to make me another key.

If you weren't on the wrong coast I could have helped you out . . . I have the programmer that Ford dealerships use.

Back