Oil Change interval | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

During the 152,000 miles on my 2011 I did oil changes at 7,500 mile intervals. The OLM routinely read about 25% remaining. Never burnt a drop of oil in all those miles. Full synthetic. Mostly Mobil. Several different viscosities over the 4.5 years.

Thanks for all the advice/tips. I don't think I can go the entire 10k even if the monitor says so. I'll pick my interval and stick with it.

Mileage Interval for Oil Changes

I'm curious when the majority of people on here are changing their oil in their Explorers? I'm about to turn 10K miles. I did the first oil change at 5K miles and I was thinking of doing my 2nd one at 10K miles since it's a new motor. But in the future, should I continue to do 5K or 10K mile intervals? Does the onboard computer really work in telling when you should change the oil or is it best to just change it at either a 5K or 10K mile interval?

You will get 20 responses and no clarity :)

Technically, Ford says you can go 10,000 miles or until the on board system tells you it's time.

Personally, I change it on the 5's on my odometers (easy to remember when to do it with a 1k mile window). Everything else, I follow the published maintenance schedule, no sooner.

Everyone will have their opinion and system for keeping track.

Good luck.

I wait for the vehicle to tell me, figure ford kinda knows what they're doing. Now I'll run for cover.

Say it with me...The owners' manual is your friend.

Oh ya, and the search function too...

I'm curious when the majority of people on here are changing their oil in their Explorers? I'm about to turn 10K miles. I did the first oil change at 5K miles and I was thinking of doing my 2nd one at 10K miles since it's a new motor. But in the future, should I continue to do 5K or 10K mile intervals? Does the onboard computer really work in telling when you should change the oil or is it best to just change it at either a 5K or 10K mile interval?
"Search" and ye shall find, this thread with which yours has been merged.

There are many topics that have already been covered in the 5+ years this generation has been out.

Peter

You will get 20 responses and no clarity :)

That actually isn't true lol.

Fact is, unless you send your oil to a lab like Blackstone for the $25 or so, you will not know how long it lasts and when you should change it.

The only FACT that one can show is a lab test. Besides that, it is just pure opinion which in this case is worthless. Why you ask (well you didn't but I'll say it anyways), because one could be throwing away perfectly good oil by doing it to early.

Change it early because it is cheap insurance?? Sure you can do that but again, if the oil is perfectly good, then why throw money away?

I'll leave it at this, I've had several oil samples sent in and the 10,000 mile change is fine. I've come to find that the Oil Life monitor works VERY well and that when it tells you to change it, it is still doing a great job protecting the engine.

Now I will add that I get several coupons a year from my dealer for a $7.95 oil change so I take advantage of them because you just can't beat that price. But I only take advantage of them when it is in the shop for service for something else because of convenience.

Now everything I just stated is Fact because it is backed my proof... documentation... tests... etc... not opinion. Hopefully that is a little "clarity".. and if not, then you are correct and I was wrong lol.

I encourage everyone to do an oil analysis just for your own peace of mind.

I really don't have any desire to read 20 pages, and in this instance, I couldn't find an answer to the question... How do you "prove" oil changes if you do them yourself? I have read a number of Carfax reports that show regular maintenance, so you know that the car has been maintained according to the manufacturers recommendations. I routinely do all my own oil changes in the past, and no one cares about these type of records unless it is a relatively new car trade. I plan on trading in 2 or 3 years, and want to maintain the best trade value, so I know that this record is important to buyers.
Also, what is the current beliefs about changing oil at 5,000 miles on a new vehicle. Wait for the oil monitor to say to change it, or not?

If you are selling privately then keep your receipts, mark the date and mileage in the maintenance log book and staple the receipt to the page.

Simple enough.

You can also go to mycarfax.com and update the service log for your car to keep CarFax current.

In the Vehicle Health Report, it states: "Your vehicle's Intelligent Oil Life Monitor uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change. The computation takes into account your driving habits when determining when it's time to change the oil. The Oil Life Remaining percentage you see is the calculation sent from your vehicle when this report was sent."

However, the "replace engine oil" light came on at nearly exactly 6000 miles since the last change. Statistically speaking, this is outside the realm of "coincidence". So, is the above statement just a total load of BS? or is there maybe some maximum value of 6,000 miles built in?

I put Mobil1 5W-20 Extended Performance full synthetic in at 3500 miles. I don't see how at 9500 miles, I could really need a change. This stuff is supposed to go 15,000 miles. I do drive hard, and its been 11 months since the last change, but that light coming on right at a 6000mi interval still makes me think I'm being lied to here.

In the Vehicle Health Report, it states: "Your vehicle's Intelligent Oil Life Monitor uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change. The computation takes into account your driving habits when determining when it's time to change the oil. The Oil Life Remaining percentage you see is the calculation sent from your vehicle when this report was sent."

However, the "replace engine oil" light came on at nearly exactly 6000 miles since the last change. Statistically speaking, this is outside the realm of "coincidence". So, is the above statement just a total load of BS? or is there maybe some maximum value of 6,000 miles built in?

I put Mobil1 5W-20 Extended Performance full synthetic in at 3500 miles. I don't see how at 9500 miles, I could really need a change. This stuff is supposed to go 15,000 miles. I do drive hard, and its been 11 months since the last change, but that light coming on right at a 6000mi interval still makes me think I'm being lied to here.

I'm confused on your question because it seems you answered it in the first part. The % calculation is based on several factors. How you drive, idle time, time between travels (age of oil).

Peter for example has his vehicle warn him far sooner then us but that's because he only puts on 6,000 miles a year (km for him) or so (trying to recall correctly Peter).

For my Explorer which is used 5 days a week and 1 hour commute each day gets between 9,500 - 10,000 miles per change. For example, I was at 28% the other day with just about 7,000 miles on the change. The standard is 10,000 mile changes.. 1% drop typically every 100 miles but it self adjusts faster depending again on driving habits.

It is going in for the door recall after the holidays so I will have them change it then just for convenience.

Edited - I didn't realize you were at 11 months until I reread your post. I do not think the Explorer likes the oil in there longer then 1 year so my best guess is that is why it is telling you to change it. 11 months is a long time to let used oil sit in the vehicle. The Engine Oil Life Monitor does not know whether you are putting synthetic in or not because there are no direct sensors in the motor to analyze the oil. So based on your driving habits, age of oil and mileage, it wants you to change it.

You can take an oil sample and send it to Blackstone to have it analyzed but I will tell you that if you don't change it at a minimum when it tells you to and you have an oil related failure, Ford has a right to deny the warranty because you have not performed the required maintenance.

Edit # 2 - The service manual also specifically says "Do not exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between service intervals." so that is why you are getting the warning at 11 months old.

I'm confused

Not sure whats confusing. When a light comes on at exactly 6000 miles later, I have a hard time believing that it was because the computer "uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change". My bet is that it would have notified me at 6000 miles later... regardless of how I drive, the conditions, idle time, or any data whatsoever Ford might collect.

Edit # 2 - The service manual also specifically says "Do not exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between service intervals." so that is why you are getting the warning at 11 months old.
That would make sense, if I had exceeded 1 year, or 10000 miles. But it's not going to warn me before a trigger happens. Manuals are written extremely conservatively, to protect the company, and to get the consumer to spend more money (many times at the dealerships).''

In any case, since Mobil guarantees with the extended oil against engine failure, I'm gonna go at least the 12 months. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-ep-oil-warranty

Not sure whats confusing. When a light comes on at exactly 6000 miles later, I have a hard time believing that it was because the computer "uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change". My bet is that it would have notified me at 6000 miles later... regardless of how I drive, the conditions, idle time, or any data whatsoever Ford might collect.

That would make sense, if I had exceeded 1 year, or 10000 miles. But it's not going to warn me before a trigger happens. Manuals are written extremely conservatively, to protect the company, and to get the consumer to spend more money (many times at the dealerships).''

In any case, since Mobil guarantees with the extended oil against engine failure, I'm gonna go at least the 12 months. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-ep-oil-warranty

It warns you when you have 10% life left to change soon and then when you hit 0%, tells you to change it (rather then "soon").

If Mobil guarantees it, you will be fighting with mobil, not Ford if you have a failure because Ford does not care what Mobil says.

Not sure whats confusing. When a light comes on at exactly 6000 miles later, I have a hard time believing that it was because the computer "uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change"..
You've mentioned 6000 miles a few times but never mentioned what % the IOLM showed when you received the warning.

Peter

Sounds like the OLM wasn't reset at the 3,500 mile oil change.

Sounds like the OLM wasn't reset at the 3,500 mile oil change.

It is warning him to change it because he is at the 11 month mark of a 12 month oil change requirement since his last change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is warning him to change it because he is at the 11 month mark of a 12 month oil change requirement since his last change.

Ok got it, it's been 11 months since his 3,500 change.

Back