2016 Explorer - Dimming in instrument cluster on start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer - Dimming in instrument cluster on start up

Tdp522

Reaction score
City, State
Holmdel, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
When I start my Ex Sport, I see "dimming" in my instrument cluster. It will stay on for about 5 seconds if I don't press ok on the steering wheel to acknowledge the message.
I'd rather not see this message all the time. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? My instrument lights are turned all the way up, so nothing should be dimming at all. Ive called Ford and they said its the first time they've heard about this problem. Seeing dimming at every start gets annoying and I'm shocked it doesn't bother other customers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also see this "DIMMING" at every startup. I think it has something to do with the cluster lights or daytime running lights. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

It has to do with the instrument panel lights. When I adjusted them with the controls just to the right of the lights switch, they said dimming when I was playing with them. Now it always says dimming at start up. It's so annoying. I wish I never touched them. I have them turned all the way up, so nothing should be dimming. And I called Fords main number and their tech says he never heard of the problem. How can that be? It seems like it's very common.
I was hoping someone figured out a solution and would post it on here. I can't find one.

It has to do with the instrument panel lights. When I adjusted them with the controls just to the right of the lights switch, they said dimming when I was playing with them. Now it always says dimming at start up. It's so annoying. I wish I never touched them. I have them turned all the way up, so nothing should be dimming. And I called Fords main number and their tech says he never heard of the problem. How can that be? It seems like it's very common.
I was hoping someone figured out a solution and would post it on here. I can't find one.

I have mine set to the lowest setting and see this popup at every startup also.
Never thought of it as being a problem, but going to try to turn off auto dimming from the mft settings, to see if that triggers the pop up.

I've tried that already. Msft has no effect on the instrument panel dimming. That's only for where the navigation system is. Has no effect on the instrument panel dimming. That only controls where the navigation system / sync unit is. I've also tried holding down the dimmer switch to full bright. Also holding okay. It seems like I have tried every possible scenario.

My '16 Sport does the same, and if that is all the problems that I ever have, I will live with it. I don't even notice it any longer. I think that it is just a software issue, that doesn't cause any harm.

Yes, I just find it annoying. I like to see the tach at start up. My Ex didn't do this until I adjusted the brightness of the dash and now I see this message all the time.

.....I called Fords main number and their tech says he never heard of the problem. How can that be? It seems like it's very common......
It really isn't very common. It looks like a problem with the 2016 models so it is a new issue. As I've posted before, it seems that every model year comes out with its own unique problem.

Peter

A new problem in 2016's?
Have you come across a solution for this?

I have the same message pop up. It started after I adjusted the light level manually. I also have auto dimming in SETTINGS.

Settings? In My Ford touch? That's apples and oranges. My Ford Touch has nothing to do with auto dimming dash lights.
If you're talking about a 2016 setting for lights in the left menu on the instrument cluster, that's all about exterior lights...daytime running lights and headlight timer after vehicle is off.
I may try to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or something. Maybe it'll reset to when I had bought it new, before I messed with that setting. I just hate the idea of having to mess around with stuff on a car with less then 2000 miles on it.

Settings? In My Ford touch? That's apples and oranges. My Ford Touch has nothing to do with auto dimming dash lights.
If you're talking about a 2016 setting for lights in the left menu on the instrument cluster, that's all about exterior lights...daytime running lights and headlight timer after vehicle is off.
I may try to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or something. Maybe it'll reset to when I had bought it new, before I messed with that setting. I just hate the idea of having to mess around with stuff on a car with less then 2000 miles on it.

Dimming or increasing the light using those two buttons also adjusts the lighting of the mft screen.
While I didn't repeat the test again, earlier today I turned off auto dimming and started the car and the pop up did not appear.

Dimming or increasing the light using those two buttons also adjusts the lighting of the mft screen.
While I didn't repeat the test again, earlier today I turned off auto dimming and started the car and the pop up did not appear.
Can't comment on that since I've never tried it. I do know that on pre 2016 models, the MFT has its own control settings for light/dim.

Peter

Can't comment on that since I've never tried it. I do know that on pre 2016 models, the MFT has its own control settings for light/dim.

Peter

2016 has it also, once you disable auto dimming.

If I turn the truck off, it won't appear on a restart until the car sits about 20 minutes.
Did you try that after 20 minutes?
Also, I tried turning that auto dimming off as well. Didn't work for me.

My 2016 Sport has it in MFT. "Settings" - "Display" - "Auto Dimming"

When "On", I get the same warning/advisement pop up to the left on the gauge cluster at start up. When "Off", I do not.

Just tried it while waiting on my wife to run into Starbucks

I'm pretty sure I tried that already, but I'll try it again just to make sure. I'll let you know what I come up with.

With auto dim off, I still get it after a 20 minute wait before startup. What is your brightness setting? Mine is all the way up.

I get it every time I start the car on my '16 Sport, and it isn't equipped with "auto dimming" headlamps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get it every time I start the car on my '16 Sport, and it isn't equipped with "auto dimming" headlamps.
They aren't referring to the headlights. See post 3.

Peter

Back