ATF drain & fluid change

fvumbaca

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford sport
Hi,

I just purchased a 2013 XLT V-6 with about 60k miles on it. And I am due for a oil change, so I figured while I was down there I would drain the trans pan and add some fresh fluid. But what I have been reading online the new explorers don't have a drain plug nor a trans fluid dip stick that is convenient to get to. What I use to do with my older explorers and escapes was every 10k do a trans drain or pump up through the dip stick. So my question is, is this true? And if so what do you guys recommend?

Oh and I also hear that changing the spark plugs on the 5th gen are a pain in the ass to. Any truth to that as well?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fluid exchange at 60K. Since there is no pan or filter accessible, using an exchange machine (BG), or extraction / drain (there is a drain plug) is the only method.

I used a local BG equipped shop for an exchange. The key is to keep the temperature of the transmission up to keep the internal thermostat open while the exchange machine is working. Simply have them hook up to the radiator cooler lines, parking brake on, foot on brake, transmission in 'R', and 1500-1700 RPM until the fluid runs clean. They used Castrol Transmax Dexron VI/Mercon LV.

This works better, and is cheaper and less hassle than extracting / draining only a small portion of fluid every 10K. My local shop at first said they couldn't do Ford transmissions due to the thermostat, until I pressed them and showed them that it could indeed be done as above.

Sheltonfilms I normally do the vac thing too. So this is my wife's car and of coarse she isn't here so I can't visually confirm this but the 2013 doesn't have an easily excessable trans dipstick. If it did its a no brainer pump out 5 quarts or so and replace the same amount. I've done this for my 98 explorer, my 05 sport trac, and my 06 escape, all of which I owned till they had at least 150k miles on them before I sold them with all never having trans issues. My idea was that changing atf in the pan every 10k or so would leave the fluid pretty clean and new. it has seemed to work.

If the trans is like I think it is with a dipstick on pan below the car ill just wait till it has about 75k or so and bring it to the shop to change. And I know the manual says from 100k to 150k, but im a firm believer in preventative maintenance is way cheaper then a transmission.

And I did some research on the plugs on line and they don't seem any different then then my escape and sport trac was....just have to remove the manifold which is just another 10 minutes or so of work.

My dipstick is right under the airbox if you have a v6.

6F35 trans doesn't (4cyl)

6F50 and 6F55 does.

Never mind - more reading

good luck

So finally had a chance to look at my wife' car. The ATF level check is under the air filter after all, don't know why online everyone was saying it was under the car on the side of the pan. Sheltonfilm have you ever used a vac on your car to pull out the ATF? Just wondering what im looking at for replacement fluid.

So finally had a chance to look at my wife' car. The ATF level check is under the air filter after all, don't know why online everyone was saying it was under the car on the side of the pan. Sheltonfilm have you ever used a vac on your car to pull out the ATF? Just wondering what im looking at for replacement fluid.

I haven't done it on the Ex yet (only have 24k miles).

On my 2000 2.5L Ranger w/ 4r44e trans, I have done it multiple times. When I did a pan drop/filter change I would always pull the 3-4 quarts out of the pan through the dipstick tube just so I wouldn't get the tranny fluid "shower" when taking the pan off. When its empty it will start doing the kid sucking up the last bit of soda sound, then I just wiggle the tube around to catch any other areas.

If it was me I would suck it out and measure it. Then replace how much I pulled out. Checking the fluid level can't be fun because of the air box in the way.

BTW filter is inside the transmission as in between the two halves. Unless you pull the transmission and split it, this filter stays in.

yeah I wont touch the filter. My escape didn't even have a filter to change, and on one of my explorers when I did a pan drop the filter wasn't even attached. you have the 6F50 trans too right?

yeah I wont touch the filter. My escape didn't even have a filter to change, and on one of my explorers when I did a pan drop the filter wasn't even attached. you have the 6F50 trans too right?

I think I have the 6F55 because I have the tow package. Probably the same transmission just beefier, more clutch discs/steels per pack.

I think I have the 6F55 because I have the tow package. Probably the same transmission just beefier, more clutch discs/steels per pack.

thought it was different final drive ratio and more fluid capacity.

is there a shop manual for page for doing the fluid check or the flush?

I wonder if it's anything like the GM auto's (as they were designed in partnership) or the various DCT transmissions.

has to be at operating temp (some spec like 90-120 degrees F) and then you can safely determine the amount of Full.

So, since I'm planning on doing the F150 ATF this year (just shy of 85k miles) I'm also thinking about the Explorer (70k miles, 6F55 transmission I think). Very little info about this on google, which surprised me. Has anybody done there ATF yet? Are the cooler lines thermostatically controlled like my F150? What about doing a pan drop and fill a couple times?

I'm doing a fluid exchange at the dealer on my F150 just to keep it simple. Haven't had our Explorer up in the air yet, but I could be happy doing a pan drop or a fluid exchange depending on the details.

So, since I'm planning on doing the F150 ATF this year (just shy of 85k miles) I'm also thinking about the Explorer (70k miles, 6F55 transmission I think). Very little info about this on google, which surprised me. Has anybody done there ATF yet? Are the cooler lines thermostatically controlled like my F150? What about doing a pan drop and fill a couple times?

I'm doing a fluid exchange at the dealer on my F150 just to keep it simple. Haven't had our Explorer up in the air yet, but I could be happy doing a pan drop or a fluid exchange depending on the details.
Your thread has been merged with this one. As indicated in this thread, there is no pan to drop. You may also be interested in the following; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/transmission-fluid-change.385062/

Peter

Smaller version of our transmission but same procedure:

The only difference is that you have to basically remove the air box to get EASIER access to the transmission fluid dipstick (You might be able to reach without having to remove the airbox).

1995E, thats a perfect video. Looks like I'll just do some drain and fills with each engine oil change for a little while. Thanks!

*I just received a notification that a thread I started with the post below was merged with this thread. Either way I appreciate any help.

My 2011 Limited 2wd just hit 70k miles and I would like to put fresh ATF in it. I haven't found just a ton of information on this by googling. From my reading this explorer has a 6F50 trans and there is not a serviceable filter. It appears from the video in this thread that there is also not a transmission pan to drop, its just a drain and refill. I would like to get a little more information from someone who has performed this service before I tackle it. I appreciate any help.

*I just received a notification that a thread I started with the post below was merged with this thread. Either way I appreciate any help.

My 2011 Limited 2wd just hit 70k miles and I would like to put fresh ATF in it. I haven't found just a ton of information on this by googling. From my reading this explorer has a 6F50 trans and there is not a serviceable filter. It appears from the video in this thread that there is also not a transmission pan to drop, its just a drain and refill. I would like to get a little more information from someone who has performed this service before I tackle it. I appreciate any help.

Refer to video in the above post. It's basically the same thing. None servicable filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks 1995E. I guess the refill is just using the dipstick? I ask these questions because my 2003 explorer fill required a handpump and then you monitored the drip from overflow to know when it was full.

Back