Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Nice tip, but am skeptical of asking for the upgraded hardware key?
I mean, why would they give you something they sell?

I saw the upgrade was $39, if it is the correct one.
But that still brings you in at less then $100. I also have a 1998 sport, 4.0 with only 1 key.
Making spare keys is worth the price of admission alone.

My owners manul states that I can make my own, if I have 2 working keys to use to program the 3rd key.

ForScan currently does not accept money (donations or for product) for it's Windows version. The extended license is free.

Correct, if you have two working keys you can add more without needing to hook up a computer as long as that option has not been disabled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great tip and promising software! I got the software setup and extended license in place and got it talking with my 04 Mounty. I only have one key but bought a Stratec blank to try and program. I went as far as seeing the keys in the software and playing around with the tpm to see tire pressures...why can't all readers see the tire pressures! Tomorrow I will get my blank cut and after a prayer or two I will attempt to learn my new key along with the old one. I have something else to drive if it bricks it. And AAA to get it to the dealer if needed....

:usa:The solution to my problem was to get a good key. Even though Forscan showed that the key that I had was compatible, it was bad. So I got a key from Ford and it programmed with no problem.
Bob T
:usa:

That is great news!! Santa brought you an early gift.. Lol

GREAT NEWS! I was able to get my key programmed without having to do any key erasing! I just went into the menu to learn additional keys and after the security wait and then sticking the new key in, viola. Both keys start the truck! I really like Forscan. I have been using Dashcommand and am happy with what it does using just my phone, but this software with a laptop is next level.

Side note: I went to Home Depot to get the my key blank cut and the lady said "we dont cut chip keys" I told her I did not want anything to do with the chip, just a key to open the door and BTW, I have the blank, but will be happy to buy one of yours if you cut this one. She kept repeating "we dont cut chip keys" and refused to help me. Go next door to Lowes and the guy cut it for FREE in 30 seconds. He offered to make me a clone key, but after I explained the difference in a cloned key vs a new key, he was interested in how I can possibly do that. Maybe he cut it for free thinking it would never work? hmm. Either way, I am happy. I also used it on the 2007 EB Explorer I am working on to see that there are 4 pats keys learned into it. I assume at least one of those is the remote start module.

GREAT NEWS! I was able to get my key programmed without having to do any key erasing! I just went into the menu to learn additional keys and after the security wait and then sticking the new key in, viola. Both keys start the truck! I really like Forscan. I have been using Dashcommand and am happy with what it does using just my phone, but this software with a laptop is next level.

Side note: I went to Home Depot to get the my key blank cut and the lady said "we dont cut chip keys" I told her I did not want anything to do with the chip, just a key to open the door and BTW, I have the blank, but will be happy to buy one of yours if you cut this one. She kept repeating "we dont cut chip keys" and refused to help me. Go next door to Lowes and the guy cut it for FREE in 30 seconds. He offered to make me a clone key, but after I explained the difference in a cloned key vs a new key, he was interested in how I can possibly do that. Maybe he cut it for free thinking it would never work? hmm. Either way, I am happy. I also used it on the 2007 EB Explorer I am working on to see that there are 4 pats keys learned into it. I assume at least one of those is the remote start module.

Ok, but now you still have programmed keys that you do not have correct? The point of wiping first is to clear out lost keys so whoever has them now can not use them to steal the vehicle.

Do you know by chance if they carry the correct flat (no chip) blank on hand? I would really like a door only key.

Also, I didn't know it was possible to clone keys, this may be why some ForScan users are experiencing problems. They may have been given one origional key and one cloned key with their vehicle so when they go to program them after a wipe they're essentially trying to program the same one key twice thus fail.

:usa:The solution to my problem was to get a good key. Even though Forscan showed that the key that I had was compatible, it was bad. So I got a key from Ford and it programmed with no problem.
Bob T

How much was the blank from them?

I'm seeing some on ebay that look genuine for $15 to $25

I had to pay $30.00 and they cut it for me also. The 2 that I got before was not original. Those I think I paid 10 or 12 for.
Bob T

The only other key is at the bottom of a very large, deep body of water. If you go to the effort of recovering them, then find my Mountaineer, you need it worse than I do. Lol. Both stores have a flat chipless key blank that will work on the door. A locksmith told me he would have to cut one of those first to be a master key to begin the process to learn the two chip keys. Either way, it worked for me and I am happy with it.

Also, you want a Stratec blank. They are the ones my dealer said look and act like factory keys. They are a licensed by Ford product.

A locksmith told me he would have to cut one of those first to be a master key to begin the process to learn the two chip keys. Either way, it worked for me and I am happy with it.

Hmm, must be a old fashioned locksmith with reg old key cutter machine. I prefer new originals to be made from a computer controlled key machine that goes by the key code and not copying an already existing key because they don't come out perfect that way and can requiring jiggling to get them to work.

There are some smartphone apps that offer key cutting services where you send them a photo and they decode your key and make new originals. But I think they only do house keys.

I just ad 4 keys cut the old fashioned way and all work just fine. I have not seen any computer controlled key cutting units anywhere around here. Now maybe a regular lock smith might have one.
Bob T

I just ad 4 keys cut the old fashioned way and all work just fine. I have not seen any computer controlled key cutting units anywhere around here. Now maybe a regular lock smith might have one.
Bob T

I would think dealers would have them. How else would they make you a key when you've lost them ALL? Unless they keep every key combo cut and in stock they would have to be able to make them from scratch or order them.

I just remembered that Walmart is selling keys and they program them also. So it is more than likely that there's is a computer type key machine.

Bob T

I just remembered that Walmart is selling keys and they program them also. So it is more than likely that there's is a computer type key machine.

Bob T

Walmart, HomeDepot, and Lowes all have them standard AXXESS+ machines last I saw.

axx4.jpg

I try to avoid Walmart and Lowes because their blanks say the store name on them, HomeDepot's say AXXESS on them.

Frack Me, Everything worked fine except the battery and with the cold weather, didn't want to be stranded. I took the battery out of the 04 Explorer at lunch time to get a new one, stopped at the parts store. About 6 hours went by between when I disconnected the old one and installed the new one, however in that time, the PATS disabled the ignition.

The PATS code flashing is 15;Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master

How is this possible? Both keys mind you, looks like I have to wait until Friday for Amazon to deliver the cable.

Update: After following the directions in the sticky, everything works properly. For some reason the memory of the keys was "lost" while the battery was disconnected.

Could this possibly help with a theft light issue?

I only have one key.

Could this possibly help with a theft light issue?

I only have one key.

You have no-start condition with theft light?

Yes this will help you but you're going to need to get a second key made first and it must be a new transponder key not cloned junk from Walmart.

You have no-start condition with theft light?

Yes this will help you but you're going to need to get a second key made first and it must be a new transponder key not cloned junk from Walmart.

Yah, its a no start.

The theft light does a slow blink until I try to start the car at which point the theft light will stay on for a few seconds then disappear but the car will not turn over.

So I would get the 2nd key cut using the 1st key so long as it has the transponder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yah, its a no start.

The theft light does a slow blink until I try to start the car at which point the theft light will stay on for a few seconds then disappear but the car will not turn over.

I only have the one key.

So I would get the 2nd key cut using the 1st key so long as it has the transponder?

What does the theft light do if you just turn the key to ON without trying to start? Just trying to determine this is a PATS issue and not a bad starter solenoid.

You can read PATS status (see how many keys are programmed) with ForScan without needing the 2nd key yet.

Back