Late model Sport vs Police Interceptor Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Late model Sport vs Police Interceptor Suspension

slicky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
As the title says, what are the difference in suspension between the civilian Sport and Police interceptor. I would have like to get some stiffer stabilizer bars, if available on the Interceptor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My info is that while the hardware is the same the programming is significantly different.

Programming of EPAS steering, Transmission, AWD and PTU.

The Police version is designed to hold the upshift a little longer to keep torque up even if it compromises fuel economy. Retail Sport is biased a little more towards fuel economy. The programming recognizes hard "stop/start" style driving that's common to aggressive emergency driving behaviour.

The brake pads on Police version are designed more for high heat applications as apposed to the retail pads on a Sport which is biased towards noise.

So the springs, struts and sway bars are identical? Are you sure? Reading car magazines leads one to believe that the Interceptor has beefier suspension. Of course there is no information on the Interceptor available to try to cross-reference part numbers.

So the springs, struts and sway bars are identical? Are you sure? Reading car magazines leads one to believe that the Interceptor has beefier suspension. Of course there is no information on the Interceptor available to try to cross-reference part numbers.

My information comes from the Engineers on the Police Program, but your information could be more accurate.

Ha ha. Ok good. Less money spent on mods. Thanks.

Anyone know if the sport/PI springs will fit on the base model front struts? My base has way too much body roll.

Anyone know if the sport/PI springs will fit on the base model front struts? My base has way too much body roll.

I am not 100% sure but they should. H&R has one part number for all trims.

My info is that while the hardware is the same the programming is significantly different.

Programming of EPAS steering, Transmission, AWD and PTU.

The Police version is designed to hold the upshift a little longer to keep torque up even if it compromises fuel economy. Retail Sport is biased a little more towards fuel economy. The programming recognizes hard "stop/start" style driving that's common to aggressive emergency driving behaviour.

The brake pads on Police version are designed more for high heat applications as apposed to the retail pads on a Sport which is biased towards noise.

If the police software puts more SPORT in the Explorer SPORT, is there any way to incorporate the software reprogramming into an aftermarket tune?

If the police software puts more SPORT in the Explorer SPORT, is there any way to incorporate the software reprogramming into an aftermarket tune?

I think that's what makes the aftermarket tunes drive like they do.

An aftermarket tune will be more sporty than the PI tune any day.

I upgraded to the police material pads at about 30K miles, Im at 57K now and they are noticeably better and more fade resistant. My understanding has always been that the hard suspension parts underneath the Sport and the PI model are the same.

For whatever it's worth, I have a '16 Sport and drive the PI for work and they feel very similar suspension wise. Almost identical in many aspects. I do wish the trans in my Sport was the same as the PI. It shifts up far to often.

Hi i am brand new to this forum and I just bought a 2017 Explorer XLT. I am looking to upgrade to the sport or PI suspension, and from Tasca.com, there are DIFFERENT part numbers for springs between the Sport and the PI. This leads me to believe there is a difference of some sort. I did read in Motor trend (ithink) that the PI was more lowered than other explorers

Hi i am brand new to this forum and I just bought a 2017 Explorer XLT. I am looking to upgrade to the sport or PI suspension, and from Tasca.com, there are DIFFERENT part numbers for springs between the Sport and the PI. This leads me to believe there is a difference of some sort. I did read in Motor trend (ithink) that the PI was more lowered than other explorers
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Sport also sits a little lower than the rest of the trims. Also remember that if you start changing suspension parts and something fails that is traced back to the modification, your warranty will not cover that part. Just FYI.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Sport also sits a little lower than the rest of the trims. Also remember that if you start changing suspension parts and something fails that is traced back to the modification, your warranty will not cover that part. Just FYI.

Peter
When I am in the tasca.com website it seems to differentiate the sport and police interceptor model by heavy duty brakes or not. Does anyone know which one has the heavy-duty brakes? The sport or the interceptor? I would have said that the police had the heavy-duty Brakes in the sport didn't but on another page I saw that the sport was classified as the one with the painted calipers which was the heavy duty brakes!

After the December 11th, (I think) 2013 builds, all trim levels of the Explorer were fitted with the same Heavy Duty brakes.

Peter

Back