Anyone tired Morimoto LED fogs? Not bulbs but entire assembly. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tired Morimoto LED fogs? Not bulbs but entire assembly.

vital

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
Seems like it could be a perfect solution for those who want to match look of their xenon headlights and fog lights without going with HID kit. I'd also assume (based on Morimoto's reputation) that these assemblies are a LOT better vs just plugging some leds in your oem fog housing.

Link below:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...xb-led-fog-lights-ford-cars.html#.VmZD04QmTdk

P.S.
I'm sure this thread will turn into "fogs are meant to be halogen/yellow to cut thru fog....yellow is more useful vs white....white looks better then yellow...leds only look good but don't put out as much useful light as...." I'm more interested in how assembly itself actually fits on our cars, if it looks out of place or exactly like oems do, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have them, 2nd Gen

I bought them following the update with darker optics. This summer I retrofitted Evo-XR projectors with D2S bulbs and have been hunting a good solution. I initially didn't order Morimoto's as they were so silver in appearance. As soon as they updated I ordered!

The performance is amazing. Very clean cut off, good wide angle on the output. The kit was perfect, installation was easy. The light assemblies are amazing. The best aftermarket headlight / fog light assembly I have seen. They fill in below the Evo's very well, adding some solid cornering light and giving additional illumination to reflective surfaces. I don't much care about the white vs. yellow vs. LED battle. The light output, measured by my Tenma light meter, is about 105% of the factory lights.

A few quick pics following install. Sorry for the dirty rig, Minnesota is hell to keep paint clean in the winter.

http://imgur.com/a/FkHOy

Re-stated what OP said: No need to bash it, or tell me that "white fogs are bad" or "Leds are bad". I like what I like.

Thanx.

Got any pics pics of output on the road or against the wall?

Either way looks like it's getting on my "to-buy" list.

No good output pics yet, really need to dig a better camera out than my iPhone.

I just bought these Morimoto XB LED fog light replacements myself. I looked under the car today and I looks like a PITA to remove the old fogs

Yes it probably is only those 4 bolts holding in each light but did you guys need to remove the shielding or bumper to get to the far side bolts?
I can only actually see 2 bolts but I assume there are 2 more on the other side (side closest to the outer edge of car). Looking for some input as I don't have alot of wiggle room under there!

I just bought these Morimoto XB LED fog light replacements myself. I looked under the car today and I looks like a PITA to remove the old fogs

Yes it probably is only those 4 bolts holding in each light but did you guys need to remove the shielding or bumper to get to the far side bolts?
I can only actually see 2 bolts but I assume there are 2 more on the other side (side closest to the outer edge of car). Looking for some input as I don't have alot of wiggle room under there!

I did it with a 1/4" ratchet with a 4" extension if I remember. I didn't use the new supplied bolts, the factory ones were much easier to get back in. Only took about 20 min total.

Should be four bolts per side, very quick and easy!

I did it with a 1/4" ratchet with a 4" extension if I remember. I didn't use the new supplied bolts, the factory ones were much easier to get back in. Only took about 20 min total.

Should be four bolts per side, very quick and easy!
Thanks for the quick reply!

Did you need to remove the shield at all? I don't have the luxury of a lift but I do have those ramps to give the front end a 12 inch lift to work under.

J

Sorry, I do not have any pictures. When I installed my LED fog lights I went in from the wheel well. No lift needed. I think there were five little screws that needed to be removed. There are a few more underneath if you need more room. After install remember to align the lights vertically before you button it back up. There is a little adjustment screw similar to the stock housings. I put mine at 2" below center at 25'.

Back