4.0L Rear (left Bank) Timing Chain Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Rear (left Bank) Timing Chain Noise

timing belt maintenance

For many overhead cam (OHC) engines with a timing belt it is supposed to be replaced every 60K miles. Most OHC engines are interference engines and if the belt breaks or slips enough the valves will be damaged by the pistons. I prefer chains to belts but they should be located at the front of the engine and not at the rear requiring removing the block to replace them. Also, the chain "plastic" contact surface should be as reliable as the chain. My Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider had a good implementation.
AlfaDOHC.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that in this day and age we have a tendency to over complicate things. We make things more intricate for no reason. This design if truly bad. It sells more cars I suppose.
Bob T
:usa:

Ford created tons of bad designs on this truck. Will add this one to the list.

Well when you look at it, they just stuck a jackshaft where a cam used to be and hooked it up to overhead cams the cheapest way they could. The basic block design is quite old. If they just would have used quality tensioning components we would all love this engine a lot more. It makes great power and other than timing and plastic cooling components they really don't have many issues.

Plastic chain guides and a thermostat housing were some pretty dumb ideas on the 4.0 SOHC. Hopefully Ford and Fisher-Price have long since severed their relationship...:D

Thermostat housing is an innovation brought on by those liberals who think we can save the planet. Weight reduction = less fuel consumed. Guess they didn't take into account all the coal that would have to be burned to power the plants that have to kick out all the replacement parts.

UPDATE: Compression check performed and according to the Shop it indicated valves were not damaged. I gave 'ok' to start repairs (replacement of rear chain and associated parts) for $2500. Just received call from Shop and was informed when the rear chain is replaced the mechanic stated the fronts need to also be changed. The Shop apologized for the error/misunderstanding between Shop front desk and the mechanic. New estimate is $3700 for replacement of all chains and associated parts (Motorcraft). Any thoughts or comments appreciated. I really do not want to shop for a replacement SUV for $4,000-$6,000 for which I have no history on and simply start down a similar path. Ours has been very well maintained, rear diff. rebuild, all new hoses, wires, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, tires, brakes in great condition, clean inside and out. We purchased for $2600 in Aug. 2013 and did all of the above items since purchase other than the brakes. We only put 5-6,000 miles a year on it.

experience & timing tool kit

I would ask them how many engines they have successfully performed the cassette replacements on. If none, I'd tow it somewhere else. If more than one I'd ask them to show me the OTC 6488 timing tool kit they use. If they don't have one I'd tow it somewhere else. The cassette replacement and timing procedure is fairly complex and the instructions can be misinterpreted. You don't want to pay someone to learn how to do it correctly at your expense. $3,700 is approaching the cost to purchase and install a remanufactured engine that will have a warranty.

You can see why people choose to do this themselves when they can.

I'd be tempted to get a remand engine installed. Check with your local Ford dealer to see what they say.

A shop in Dallas is Hocking reman 4.0 engines with all new timing (they claim motorcraft but I'm not sure) and new head gaskets for 1200 bucks exchange. I would gamble on one of those before I ever paid more than a vehicle is worth in repairs. That price is just too much for me.

These 4.0 sohc timing chains are not hard to work on, you just have to find someone who is familiar with them. 3 days is all I need to put a full set of chains in a 4.0 sohc engine start to finish as long as it was still running when it comes in. In my shop I charge $1800 for a Cloyes timing set and all new gaskets (except head) installed. If you want FoMoCo timing parts then add about $350.

These 4.0 sohc timing chains are not hard to work on, you just have to find someone who is familiar with them. 3 days is all I need to put a full set of chains in a 4.0 sohc engine start to finish as long as it was still running when it comes in. In my shop I charge $1800 for a Cloyes timing set and all new gaskets (except head) installed. If you want FoMoCo timing parts then add about $350.

That's not a bad deal. Tempting to take a road trip to your shop for the job, and shack up at a motel for a few days while the work is being done. My '05 4.0 has over 186,000 miles and has the rattle, but runs great otherwise.

I thought the Cloyes and Ford timing sets were the same.

I was told it was a 24 hour effort for engine removal and replacement of a complete set of chains. I priced the Ford parts (chains, gaskets, guides & tensioners) at $835. Your labor rate must be fantastic, wish you were closer!

That's not a bad deal. Tempting to take a road trip to your shop for the job, and shack up at a motel for a few days while the work is being done. My '05 4.0 has over 186,000 miles and has the rattle, but runs great otherwise.

I thought the Cloyes and Ford timing sets were the same.

Come on, I'm 2 miles from the oceanfront. I consider the Cloyes and Ford timing sets comparable in quality but they are in fact made by different manufacturers.

I was told it was a 24 hour effort for engine removal and replacement of a complete set of chains. I priced the Ford parts (chains, gaskets, guides & tensioners) at $835. Your labor rate must be fantastic, wish you were closer!

My labor rate is $75 an hour. All-data calls for 18 hours I believe. I come in at a cheaper price on the chain jobs because I want the job. You got to consider value of the vehicle sometimes. Not to mention I am very familiar with the job and have the ford master timing kit in the shop. $835 is about right for the retail price on the ford timing set.

Back