Terrain Management System Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management System Question

jcpskins

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, CT.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, just purchased a 2016 explorer XLT with 4WD. I have a general question about the TMS system. Could I change from normal to snow mode and vice versa while driving? or does the car need to come to a complete stop? Thanks Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the TMS mode while driving causes no issue as far as I can tell.

I didnt notice any issues in a 2016 ecoboost either, i went through all the modes to see how they differed, i preferred the 2wd the most

I didnt notice any issues in a 2016 ecoboost either, i went through all the modes to see how they differed, i preferred the 2wd the most

There's no such thing as 2wd mode. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

There's no such thing as 2wd mode. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

He must have meant normal mode. Normal mode is not a true 2WD mode. In my 2011 Explorer with the naturally aspirated 3.5L V6, a hard acceleration causes the power to split 50/50 front and rear throughout first gear. Then 100% goes back to the front wheels after like 10 MPH.

2wd mode is "normal" mode. It will only send power to the rear wheels if it's needed.

Before I purchased my 2015, I rented one and, as we all do with rental cars, used that as an opportunity to "test" things I wouldn't do on my own vehicle.

I switched modes consistently while driving to see what each mode would do. I did feel the difference, but saw and felt no ill effects from having done so. It didn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I am loving the 2016 Explorer. Its a big upgrade from my 2002 Explorer XLT that got 218K

Back