Time for tires | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now you know through experience why so call all season tires are not as safe or good as dedicated Winter tires, snow or no snow. Granted some do fairly well in snow but the main advantage of a dedicated Winter tire is flexibility and superior grip on cold bare pavement. Snow mode is a fantastic option to use in deep snow with the 'right' tires. That mode won't work if your tires have no traction.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100% agree and I knew that all along. I lived and Russia enough to know why you have to have winter tires during winter. Literally everyone had a set of winters for whatever car they drove.

In New York City thou winter tires aren't really nessesary - there's not much snow to begin with and when it does fall it's usually completly cleaned off the streets within a day or two, we barely see snow here. Temperature wise winters aren't cold for long periods of time either. So what you really need here in a set of good all seasons with good wet traction. I've had a lot of different tires (factory installed and sets I got from other places/internet) on 3 of my previous vehicles to have something to compare to. Those Hankooks are the absolute worst I've EVER had.

And as for snow option on Explorer - yes, I understand option / tire connection and how one depends on the other, I guess what I'm saying here maybe Ford guys should have used simple common sense selling that great of a car with such pos tires. I swear, for some time I thought Explorer was simply hyped up piece of junk all because of tires I had on it.

Does anyone know if a 265/50/20 tire will rub on a stock height 2011 Limited? I've seen people using the 265/50/20 tire with the traxda lift kit but have not seen any on stock ride height. My stock tires are a 255/50/20.

Any help is appreciated!

Does anyone know if a 265/50/20 tire will rub on a stock height 2011 Limited? I've seen people using the 265/50/20 tire with the traxda lift kit but have not seen any on stock ride height. My stock tires are a 255/50/20.

Any help is appreciated!

When I was purchasing tires, Mgr. Jeremy, at Discount Tires in Oak Lawn, IL, told me I can put 265s on as an option (without my asking) if I wanted to, but I stuck with the recommended stock size.

When I was purchasing tires, Mgr. Jeremy, at Discount Tires in Oak Lawn, IL, told me I can put 265s on as an option (without my asking) if I wanted to, but I stuck with the recommended stock size.
I'm guessing he meant 265/50R20 tires. Yes, you can and the diameter variance would be 1.31%. This is within the accepted 3% maximum variance but I don't know why one would want to do that. Perhaps they'll make a bit more on the sale. I think you did the right thing. The only time I have changed sizes was when going to dedicated Winter wheels and tires. Went from a 20" to an 18". I'm also guessing that you are replacing the OEM tires with other all season tires.

Peter

Note that some big box tire retailers will not mount any size other than factory spec on a car. Costco is an example of this.

When i replaced the tires on my Touareg, I went with a non-factory size (Bridgestone Alenza plus) that was within 3% difference of spec, and had the same speed rating, and actually a higher load rating. The Touareg takes a Porsche spec 'N0' tire, which is too soft, and very expensive, with limited manufacturer options.

The Firestone dealer mounted them as requested, but at the bottom of the invoice was a note that stated:

"Customer requested a tire size that does not match manufacturer specifications."

When I queried the service manager, he stated that in this situation, they would not honor a warranty claim since it was installed on a vehicle that does not specify that size.

So, cavet emptor. Ask before you do this and understand what it limits. I opted to continue on since the $ savings in purchase price, and better wear was several hundred $ to my advantage.

How did these do in the snow we got about a week and a half ago? I'm trying to decide between the two tires below. Seems like there are pros and cons for each (obviously) and people that will swear by one or the other. I'm interested in your opinion as we live in the same area.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

We are having a pretty good slushy ice storm, and I was driving around about 2 hours running errands on unsalted/unplowed roads, alleys, and lots. There is a BIG difference in the traction over those Hankooks, and I'm really happy with the performance and gripping of these Pirelli Scorpions. Really amazing what a better tire will do.

These are my next ones

co_extcondws06_pdpcrop.jpg

What you guys think about the Pirelli's Scorpion???

I have to change tires and was seeing the specs and the Hankook says 440UTG vs the Pirellis 660UTG. I have to say that my Hankook have 61,000 miles which it is advertised for 60K and the Pirelli is 65K. The price difference is around $40.00 overhere in PR between them.

What you guys think about the Pirelli's Scorpion??

Crap. They were OEM on my Touareg. Started getting incredibly noisy at about 15 K miles due to how the tread on the edges of the tire is designed. And I mean "turn up the radio" noisy. Wear was terrible. They barely lasted 30 K miles on a vehicle where alignment was checked and found to be in spec.

Bridgestone Alenzas are a much better choice. They have an 80K warranty.

Thanks for the headsup... More to think about now...

We are having a pretty good slushy ice storm, and I was driving around about 2 hours running errands on unsalted/unplowed roads, alleys, and lots. There is a BIG difference in the traction over those Hankooks, and I'm really happy with the performance and gripping of these Pirelli Scorpions. Really amazing what a better tire will do.

How are they now? We're having some good winter weather since December, I'm hoping you got to drive in some powder and ice!!, I'm curious and about to buy tires for my 03.

I had scorpion ATRs before and really liked the handing characteristics in every scenario with the exception of snow and ice, they weren't worthless but less than desirable in winter conditions. went to the Michelin LTX MS, I love them in the snow but can't stand living with them for handling characteristics (sloppy and.soft) and the tread life wasn't that great. I really like the ATRs (sexy looking tire too) but it would be nice to pick up some winter traction, I REALLY want those Pirelli handling characteristics back!!!

The ATRs really lasted , like 45000 miles, these Michelin LTX don't even have 20k on them and they are at 3 32nds, which is useless being the second winter on them.

Im willing to risk buying the Verde PLUS or get the Scorpion ATRs again and just run dedicated winter tires going forward. I'm torn! It's amazing how much thought I put into tires!! I feel it's a huge decision! It seems the Verde and the ATR are very different, but if the Verde is a stiff tire it might be just what I'm looking for.

If anyone wants exceptional handling and runs dedicated winters (or have mild to no winters) on your THIRD GEN Explorer you will love the ATRs! They are amazing off road too!!! but I rarely drive off-road or on unimproved roads.

I'm anxious to hear back from you on these Scorpion Verde PLUS!! I'm ready to make a buy, I have to!

How are they now? We're having some good winter weather since December, I'm hoping you got to drive in some powder and ice!!, I'm curious and about to buy tires for my 03.

I'm anxious to hear back from you on these Scorpion Verde PLUS!! I'm ready to make a buy, I have to!

So far, I'm really happy with the Verde Plus on snowy and icy roads. We have not had any deep snow like last year, and I was hoping to have that as the test before I made a final comment. I can confidently say that I have more control on slippery roads than I had with the Hankooks. I just need to see the performance in 8" plus snow, where I had originally major problems.

These are my next ones

co_extcondws06_pdpcrop.jpg

I put these on my RWD G37S and they were amazing. The G37 was absolutely terrible in the snow, I put these tires on and I had zero issues getting to work.

I am a long ways away, but when it comes time to replace the tires on the EX, these will be the first tire I look at.

So far, I'm really happy with the Verde Plus on snowy and icy roads. We have not had any deep snow like last year, and I was hoping to have that as the test before I made a final comment. I can confidently say that I have more control on slippery roads than I had with the Hankooks. I just need to see the performance in 8" plus snow, where I had originally major problems.

Thanks keep us updated please.

I put these on my RWD G37S and they were amazing. The G37 was absolutely terrible in the snow, I put these tires on and I had zero issues getting to work.

I am a long ways away, but when it comes time to replace the tires on the EX, these will be the first tire I look at.

What are they?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Freaking great tires! I run them on my Cadillac STS.

Back