• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer tow package

Dennych1

Reaction score
City, State
New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer
How can you tell if I definitely have a tow package in my 2013 explorer it has a class 3 hitch. Can you tell from vin number?
Thanks dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There'll be a passive air intake built into the air dam on the front passenger side. This leads to the channel that provides air to the oil cooler and probably the best indication of a factory tow package.

Goto http://www.etis.ford.com/

Click "Vehicle" in upper left.

Type in VIN

Look for "With Class III Trailer Towing" in the components listed on the right side.

Wouldn't have come with the OEM hitch with factory tow package?

I looked up vin and it says class III hitch engine oil cooler heavy duty alt and 3.65 rear end it doesn't have to say tow package what about larger radiator

How can you tell if I definitely have a tow package in my 2013 explorer it has a class 3 hitch. Can you tell from vin number?
Thanks dennis
It might help in answering your question if you added the 'Trim' level of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. re your question about the radiator. If you have the Sport, I don't believe it necessarily has the larger rad info listed. If you have the factory installed Tow Package, you would also have the Class III hitch as cwescapexlt4x4 alluded to.

Peter

Hi, been lurking for a little bit, but this is my first post.

I bought a used 2013 xlt about a month ago. While looking at the vehicle, before purchasing, I looked under the rear bumper to see if the class III hitch was there for factory towing, it was. Now that I own it, I did some more digging and found no wiring for the hitch plugs. after reading this thread, I looked up my VIN and found "less trailer towing" and "less engine oil cooler".

So my question is, why would my EX have a factory hitch, with removable bumper cover, but not have the towing package?

Hi, been lurking for a little bit, but this is my first post.

I bought a used 2013 xlt about a month ago. While looking at the vehicle, before purchasing, I looked under the rear bumper to see if the class III hitch was there for factory towing, it was. Now that I own it, I did some more digging and found no wiring for the hitch plugs. after reading this thread, I looked up my VIN and found "less trailer towing" and "less engine oil cooler".

So my question is, why would my EX have a factory hitch, with removable bumper cover, but not have the towing package?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
It could very well have been an aftermarket installation. If this is the case, it is not considered a Class III hitch. You also likely do not have the air intake cutout in the front bumper fascia on the front right side. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3161317&postcount=8

Peter

Might have been installed to just accommodate hitch mounted storage systems like bike racks, in which case, wiring, oil cooler, etc, would not be required.

Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

I do not have the cut out on the front bumper. If the hitch is aftermarket, they did a really nice job. The bumper cover doesn't look cut at all, it has the removable plate with 1/4 fasteners. The hitch is a FoMoCo hitch, that says class III on it (part #bb5a-19d534-aa ). The part that is odd, why go to such meticulous work adding a hitch and not add tow wiring?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZAIGCCrZsmT0VXY3BKSV8yV1E/view?usp=sharing[/IMG]

Peter do you know why when I lookup vin why it doesn't say tow package but says engine oil cooler and has tow haul mode

Yes Peter I have tow mode and cut out in 8

Yes Peter I have tow mode and cut out in 8
In that case, and along with the other info you provided, I'd say you have a factory installed class III tow package. I'm guessing that you were checking your VIN on Etis. If so, have tried or had any luck pulling up the Window Sticker?

Peter

Peter how do you get the window sticker

Peter how do you get the window sticker
Check the thread in the 'Sticky' section;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176
It may or may not work for you. You enter the VIN after the '=' sign before you hit 'enter'.
There is also another thread further down on that page about Window Sticker URL. You could try that if no luck with the first 2 links. Changes were made to the program so now they don't work for every body.

Peter

It could very well have been an aftermarket installation. If this is the case, it is not considered a Class III hitch.

Peter

A class III hitch is a class III hitch. A hitch's class is determined by the hitch itself not how or what it's installation is.

A class III hitch is a class III hitch. A hitch's class is determined by the hitch itself not how or what it's installation is.
True. It may be a Class III hitch in name only but it isn't recognized as a true class III hitch as far as enabling the Explorer to tow 5000 lbs like the factory installed tow package would. This has been stated here before a few times by members. The tow rating I believe they stated would be 2000 lbs.

Peter

You're right but Canadians are never wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're right but Canadians are never wrong.
Thank you. You'll notice I didn't say it wasn't a Class III hitch, I said it wasn't "considered" to be a Class III hitch. There's a difference.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back