Front end popping noise question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end popping noise question

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have an 04 explorer 4.0 v6 with 66,000 miles. I have replaced almost everything that would need to be replaced through regular wear and tear including most of the front end suspension complements. The only problem I'm having is that after replaced the lower ball joints, and upper control arms, and sway bar links every time I back out of the garage and once the front tires go over the threshold there is a moderate popping noise. This only seems to happen when I leave for the first time every day, any ideas on what I should be checking. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's sat for a period, and then you back out of a parking spot, does it happen again? Going straight or with a bit of a turn?

I've had issues with what I believe is play in the control arms. The large bushings that the arms pivot on. I think they slide in and out or (or the metal housing slides on them,) just a hair, but enough to make the popping sound.

If it's sat for a period, and then you back out of a parking spot, does it happen again? Going straight or with a bit of a turn?

I've had issues with what I believe is play in the control arms. The large bushings that the arms pivot on. I think they slide in and out or (or the metal housing slides on them,) just a hair, but enough to make the popping sound.

Yes it seems like it happens everyone I back up after sitting for a period of time, especially when it does the half inch drop where the garage floor meets the driveway so I am usually always going straight back. I replaced the upper control arms on each side with Moog control arms.

Does the "popping" occur when the steering is turned to full lock and the tires are going over a curb? If so, could be
dry steering stops on the lower control arms and spindles. Pic below is of a ST, but should be similar to your Gen 3.
Apply heavy waterproof grease to BOTH contact points on each LCA and knuckle.

steeringstops.jpg

Steering stop "nubs" next to lower ball joints.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1328771&cc=1427767&jsn=50 (First image)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1328739&cc=1427767&jsn=49 (Second image)

Does the "popping" occur when the steering is turned to full lock and the tires are going over a curb? If so, could be
dry steering stops on the lower control arms and spindles. Pic below is of a ST, but should be similar to your Gen 3.
Apply heavy waterproof grease to BOTH contact points on each LCA and knuckle.

steeringstops.jpg

Steering stop "nubs" next to lower ball joints.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1328771&cc=1427767&jsn=50 (First image)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1328739&cc=1427767&jsn=49 (Second image)

It actually happens when the steering is completely straight and about a second or two after going straight backwards. Never have noticed it going forwards.

Reach up to the outer sides of the bushings I spoke of. There's a large washer on the outside of the bushings, locked in place with a crush nut.

1. See if the washers spin. They shouldn't.
2. See if the nuts have backed off. They may be movable with your fingers. They and the washers, may not be there anymore also.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 464

Is this a 4x4? If yes could be the front drive engaging for some odd reason...

Yes this is 4x4. It does sound similar to the 4x4 engaging noise but the fact that it maxes it as soon it backs over the slight bump makes me thing something is loose. I'll do more research and see if it happens when backing up anywhere after sitting.

Reach up to the outer sides of the bushings I spoke of. There's a large washer on the outside of the bushings, locked in place with a crush nut.

1. See if the washers spin. They shouldn't.
2. See if the nuts have backed off. They may be movable with your fingers. They and the washers, may not be there anymore also.

I know I have tightened these at least once since installing them. I remember one side being loose. Should I just tighten them as tight as possible? And do you happen to know what mm wrench?

I don't recall the wrench size. You really need to warranty them out, the nuts aren't supposed to be reused. Then, before installing the new ones, put some green Loctite on the threads. It should seep in and prevent the nuts from coming off.

You could attempt this with your current controls arms, it's just easier when you can set them on end.

front end poping noise

My '05 2WD Explorer that I replaced all the front end components on over the last Thanksgiving holiday is doing exactly what you described while backing out of the garage. Did you install Moog front end parts?

My '05 2WD Explorer that I replaced all the front end components on over the last Thanksgiving holiday is doing exactly what you described while backing out of the garage. Did you install Moog front end parts?

Yes, everything is Moog. Any ideas? I took the tires off yesterday and tightened everything possible and didn't notice it today. Time will tell though

Back