Voice dictation using Bluetooth issue with 2016 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Voice dictation using Bluetooth issue with 2016

jeffvos

Reaction score
City, State
Northville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Tuxedo Black Ex
I just picked up my 2016 Explorer today, and noticed a function that I was able to do in the 2014, that I cannot do in the 2016.

While driving, I would respond to a text, by hitting the voice dictation button on the iPhone. If I was listening to FM, the Bluetooth would pick up, dictate my text, and when I hit Done, it would go back to the FM station. Now, it just stays on the Bluetooth connection to my phone, and I manually have to select FM again, to go back to the radio.

This is a total pain. I don't know if it's an issue with the MFT, (3.8) or the software in my iPhone (6s Plus, 9.2.1)

Is anyone else experiencing this now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on your new Explorer, jeffvos!

iPhones now need to be connected via USB in order to summon Siri and reply to texts. Once your phone is connected, hold the voice button down for three seconds to activate Siri. We're working with Apple on getting this corrected in a later iPhone update. Here's the announcement that was made about it:

Posted Dec. 18, 2015: Some 2011 thru 2016 Ford vehicles with MyFord Touch and 3.8 software may have a symptom of Siri Eyes Free not working over Bluetooth properly with iPhones at iOS 9.2 software. Ford is currently working with Apple on a resolution for this. For the time being, having the phone plugged into the USB port allows Siri Eyes Free to operate properly. We recommend that owners of MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles have their phones plugged into the USB port to operate Siri. If plugging into the USB port causes Autoplay to start playing USB media, please note that this can be disabled, or enabled, using the process described in the owners manual.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca

There are 2 current solutions.

1. Call SIRI a second time and dictating a text will work with Bluetooth, you still need to switch back to FM.

2. Download iOS 9.3 beta 2 or above. The issue was corrected in these versions.

The issue started with iOS 9.2

Thank you. I will give it a try!

I'm on 9.2. Works for me. Not plugged in. I hold the talk button on the steering wheel until it beeps. Then say a command like. " Text Julio"

I'm on 9.2. Works for me. Not plugged in. I hold the talk button on the steering wheel until it beeps. Then say a command like. " Text Julio"

Yes but if you were on a source other than your phone it doesn't go back to it.

What source is on your screen when you try it? My wife is on 9.2 and she usually is listening to SiriusXM(and on that screen) and it will switch to Bluetooth input on the first press and hold. The OP says it does it when they are on FM.

This is true. It remains on Bluetooth. Not a biggie for me. I just press the button for MFT and say Sirius or FM

Back