Return of the Ranger and Bronco??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return of the Ranger and Bronco???

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...hind-fords-9-billion-spending-spree/75467028/

How Ford will spend $9B on plants, secure 8,500 jobs

Alisa Priddle and Brent Snavely, Detroit Free Press 10:12 p.m. EST November 9, 2015

Return of Ford Ranger and Bronco, new engines and transmissions part of $9 billion investment plans by 2020

Here are the details of the Ford’s product plan during the life of the contract:

Michigan Assembly: $700 million investment with a new product to be added in 2018, expected to be the Ford Ranger, followed by the revival of the Ford Bronco SUV by 2020. The stamping plant will continue to support the Ford Focus and C-Max families of vehicles until they are moved elsewhere in 2018.

DETROIT FREE PRESS
Jobs, plant investment cornerstone of Ford-UAW contract

Chicago Assembly Plant: $900-million investment to build the new Ford Explorer and Police SUV Interceptor. The plant will continue to make the existing Taurus with no plans to make the all-new version that was introduced for the China market. The plant will get a new product, expected to be the Lincoln MKC.

Dearborn Truck: $250-million investment to continue to make the F-150 as well as the new F-150 Raptor performance pickup.

Flat Rock Assembly: $400-million investment to continue making the Ford Mustang and add production of the all-new Lincoln Continental full-size sedan. The Ford Fusion mid-size sedan continues through its current product lifecycle as needed to augment assembly in Mexico but it does not appear that the next-generation will need additional capacity in Flat Rock.

Kansas City Assembly: $200-million investment to continue making the F-150 pickup and Ford Transit full-size commercial van.

DETROIT FREE PRESS
Ford deal: $10,000 at signing, $9B promised investment

Kentucky Truck: $600-million investment to make the next-generation Super Duty pickup with an aluminum body as well as the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator which are also expected to go aluminum. Ford will in-source work on the instrument panel, cooling module and part of the rear doors.

Louisville Assembly: $700-million investment to make the all-new 2017 Escape. The current Lincoln MKC will move elsewhere to provide more capacity for the hot-selling Escape.

Ohio Assembly: $250-million investment to continue making medium-duty trucks and E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis but a new unnamed product, likely another commercial vehicle, will be added.

Dearborn Engine: $50-million investment to make an upgraded 2-liter four-cylinder engine.

Cleveland Engine: $150-million investment to upgrade the 3.7-liter and 3,5-liter V6 engines and continue to make the 2-liter and 2.3-liter four-cylinder engines.

Lima Engine: $250-million investment to upgrade the 3.5-liter and 2.7-liter engines and build two new V6 engines. One is expected to be the new 3-liter V6 shown in the Lincoln Continental concept.

Romeo Engine: $150-million investment to continue to make upgraded versions of the 5.2-liter and 6.2-liter engines and also add a new displacement for the new Super Duty pickups. The plant will also continue to make connecting rods for the 5-liter V8 engine block and add a head machining module.

Woodhaven Forging: will continue to make the same forgings. It will no longer close in 2016.

Livonia Transmission: $1.8-billion investment to continue current transmissions and add three new ones: likely some of the 9- and 10-speed transmissions currently in development. The plant will also add gear machining.

Sharonville Transmission: $900-million investment to keep making current transmissions and do gear machining while adding a new transmission family and gear machining for the two new multi-gear transmissions.

Van Dyke Transmission: $650-million investment to add three new transmissions while continuing to make the current transmissions.

Rawsonville: $50-million investment to continue to make batteries for electric vehicles as well as other components, including a study into seats.

Sterling Axle: $400-million investment to make new axles for the Ford Explorer, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator while continuing to make current axles.

Buffalo Stamping: $30-million investment to make stampings for the Ford Edge, Expedition and Super Duty as well as the Lincoln MKX and Navigator.

Chicago Stamping: $200-million investment to make stampings for the new Explorer, a new product and continue existing work.

Dearborn Stamping/Dearborn Diversified: $80-million investment for a new press line, hydroform press and two machining lines as Ford uses more aluminum in future vehicles. Stamping and hydroforming work continues for the F-150 and new Super Duty pickups.

Woodhaven hot metal forming plant: $300-million investment for five new metal-forming lines and new laser cells.

Contact Alisa Priddle: 313-222-5394 or apriddle@freepress.com. Follow her on Twitter [MENTION=142049]Alisa[/MENTION]Priddle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm excited, new ranger is coming 2018! I'm hoping they mean model year 2018, so we'll start seeing the new truck mid 2017. Only 1.5 years

...As a huge Ranger fan....I will beleive it when I see it and it better not look like a hacked up f150. ..:)

..and I want the 4 door diesel 4x4 version. ..no snorkel option..:D

are the Ranger not for sale in the US?
this is a 2015 model fore sale here now:

Attachments

• 59_1135871931_xl.jpg
    59_1135871931_xl.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 575

Not in the States since the 2012 model IIRC.....:(

Best news from Ford since they announced the mid-sized SUV was keeping the Explorer name.

The current Ranger is a VERY modern looking truck. Ford would do well to bring it back to the US and get more vehicles that look like they belong in the 21st century. Hopefully the 2018 date means Ford will be making the new NEW Ranger with a facelift, so even better than the current model, with a Bronco to match.

Would also like to see the Ranger/Bronco get hybrid electric and all electric versions, but that may take even longer.

Looks like the global ranger is heads and shoulders above the other midsized trucks offered here. Tighter turning radius, skinnier, shorter, higher payload, and higher tow rating. My only concern is that the bed probably isn't 6' does anybody know?

According to the factory 2015 Ranger brochure, the cargo box is 2,317mm long on the single cab and 1,549mm on the double cab. 1,549mm is 5ft, so you aren't getting a 6ft long bed with the crewcab. 2,317mm is 7.6ft though, so you can get really long bed if you can deal with a single cab.

Keep in mind a US-made 2018 Ranger will probably have different dimensions. They might keep the 5ft bed length for the crewcab, but they might also offer a longbed crewcab option, or even a 6-6.5ft long bed with a 3 or 4 door extra cab.

Best news from Ford since they announced the mid-sized SUV was keeping the Explorer name.

The current Ranger is a VERY modern looking truck. Ford would do well to bring it back to the US and get more vehicles that look like they belong in the 21st century. Hopefully the 2018 date means Ford will be making the new NEW Ranger with a facelift, so even better than the current model, with a Bronco to match.

Would also like to see the Ranger/Bronco get hybrid electric and all electric versions, but that may take even longer.

According to the factory 2015 Ranger brochure, the cargo box is 2,317mm long on the single cab and 1,549mm on the double cab. 1,549mm is 5ft, so you aren't getting a 6ft long bed with the crewcab. 2,317mm is 7.6ft though, so you can get really long bed if you can deal with a single cab.

Keep in mind a US-made 2018 Ranger will probably have different dimensions. They might keep the 5ft bed length for the crewcab, but they might also offer a longbed crewcab option, or even a 6-6.5ft long bed with a 3 or 4 door extra cab.

I hope you're right, can't do a single cab again. Don't care if the back seat is small, just need to have one. And a 6'+ bed. A 7' bed would be awesome, I could put the dirt bike in straight and close the tailgate!

I hope you're right, can't do a single cab again. Don't care if the back seat is small, just need to have one. And a 6'+ bed. A 7' bed would be awesome, I could put the dirt bike in straight and close the tailgate!

You can always use a bed extender on a short bed.

In some ways, it's better than a tailgate, especially if it's made to hold the rear wheel. Well, unless you bolt something to the tailgate to hold the rear wheel, then that might be even better.

bedxtender-hd-moto-black-bed-extender-6.jpg

bedxtender-hd-moto-silver-bed-extender-5.jpg

I've been looking for a new vehicle for what seems like years, but never finding something worth giving up my Trac. (I was inches from pulling the trigger on an Xterra before my wife asked me if I wanted to wear her underwear, too.) This will do it.

Any news on the ranger? I can't find anything :(

Nice, but . . .

. . .real ? ? ?

I'd buy that. Doubtful Ford will make any two doors other than F-Series and the Mustang, but if it's real I'd buy one. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Don't count on a 2 door bronco. People like 4 doors

I also am not a fan of the 4 door rig. There are a lot of us that remember the trail eating bronco of yesteryear, (69-76) with the "tough as nails" strait 6. In my humble opinion they have enough 4 door models out there, it's time to bring back the 2 door coupe 4x4. Lets face it how many of you actually use the 4 door for taking family out on trail runs? Most of the pictures I have seen here, and I say most, have got just 2 people and the rear loaded for fun! Don't get me wrong the 4 door suv has plenty of use, I know because I have owned 2, but now in my older years I just don't need that many doors on 1 rig, I also did not need them in my younger years, teen though mid 20's, unless there target is the family man I would say make the 2 door and see how many scream for the 4 door or build both.
Robert

you also forgot 3.5 tonne payload to compete with the colorado. as you all know the Ford F-150 starts at 5 tonnes. i notice ford didnt mention the rangers brother thats still in development (the everest) yes its the ranger with a roof! all i do know is: its stillborn in australia till the Ford Territory (ford falcon and turbo based AWD) finishes production in 2017

GOOSEBOY, in the US, Rangers and F150s are considered 1/2 ton trucks.
I don't know tonnes, so I googled the word and it says a tonne is 1000 kilograms, or 2204 lbs.
I know the Ranger doesn't carry 7714 lbs, so can you explain what you're talking about? I must be missing something.
What country are you in, btw, Australia? Thanks.

3.5 Tonne Towing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah, that's makes sense. Payload usually refers to carrying capacity, that's what threw me.

Back