18" vs 20" wheels? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" vs 20" wheels?

since I didn't care about the look I actually wanted to have the 18's on my explorer. I don't think it looks bad.

saves some 1K or so

and saves money when buying new tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drove a Limited today... more comfortable all around... seats, driving, etc... Not sure why but all together ... spend a little more money it gets a little more comfortable

The 17' model year 20" tire is now different. It looks like the side wall is slightly larger.

IMO, tires make little difference in ride unless there is a drastic difference I overall side wall height.. Suspension is usually the dictator.

The tuned suspension in the Sport and Plat, or any sport tuned suspension will ride slightly harsher because the "tuned" part means a slightly thicker sway bar. The thicker the bar, the less body roll and definitely a stiffer feel.

Our Yukon came with 22" rubber, and I run 20" in the winter. There is absolutely no ride difference that I can tell.

The 17' model year 20" tire is now different. It looks like the side wall is slightly larger.
The standard 20" tire is a 255/50, and there is a $995 option for 265/45 summer tires. I believe this carries over to 2017. You may be seeing a picture of each.

The standard 20" tire is a 255/50, and there is a $995 option for 265/45 summer tires. I believe this carries over to 2017. You may be seeing a picture of each.

From the guide. Although I'm not sure what the 303A is..

The standard tire on the Limited 303A has been changed from P245/50R20 All-Season (A/S) BSW to P255/50R20 AllSeason (A/S) BSW

T........The tuned suspension in the Sport and Plat, or any sport tuned suspension will ride slightly harsher because the "tuned" part means a slightly thicker sway bar. The thicker the bar, the less body roll and definitely a stiffer feel.
This what the 2017 Order Guide shows;
For the Sport,
● Sport-Tuned Suspension

For the Platinum,
● Independent Front and Rear Suspension

Peter

Hello everyone. Found this forum on my search for 20 inch rims for the family vehicle. Trying to keep a very close to stock look. It currently has the XLT 18s on it. Any help or guidance would be appreciated as far as where I can post about this or find some great prices on wheels.

Thanks,

JCorrea
Edinburg, TX 78539

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks should see it.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Hello everyone. Found this forum on my search for 20 inch rims for the family vehicle. Trying to keep a very close to stock look. It currently has the XLT 18s on it. Any help or guidance would be appreciated as far as where I can post about this or find some great prices on wheels.

Thanks,

JCorrea
Edinburg, TX 78539
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Keep in mind that going from 18" to 20" will give you a slightly harsher ride as well as a greater potential for "curb rash".
Check out this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/18-or-20-wheels.421533/
If you do go to a 20" wheel, then a 245/50R20 tire will almost be an exact replacement; https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-245-50r20

Peter

Back