leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers

bstewart

Reaction score
City, State
brooksville florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ford ranger
need some help please. I've read many of the threads already, but i haven't seen one yet that covers my current issue. I got a set of rear leaf springs from a 98 explorer 4 door from a salvage yard. I want to put in new bushings, but everywhere i look, they can't get em. I even measured them out and the available sizes seem wrong. I can get the rear bushings for the shakle, but the front main eye is bigger than what explorers usually have. I measured it at 1 15/16" which is to say 1.9375" but nothing is close except jeep at 1.8something. Anyone have actual measurements for the front eye bushing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks a ton! Looks like that top link is perfect. I spent hours online looking without any results. That just made my life a whole lot easier. Thanks.

polyurethane is way easier

When I did my rear leaf springs I used the Energy Suspension kit for the Gen I Explorer (Part Number: 4.2124) and everything fit except the front eye bushing. I measured the 1998 front eye which is bigger than the one in the kit and matched it from the universal bushing list.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-link-flange-type-bushings.asp

I don't remember the part number for the universal bushing but it fit perfectly and is a hell of a lot easier to install than pressing in the stock type rubber bushing.
I will try to locate the bushing part number.

You might even be able to call them and see if they will substitute the larger bushing for the smaller one that comes with the kit.
Worth a try.

It is the least that I could do

I have gotten so much useful information from this forum..........

How can it be made a "sticky"?

IMPORTANT!!

It has been years since I did this leaf spring job but I am pretty sure that I had to leave the outer bushing shell in the big end spring eye.

Do not remove the outer bushing shell...

Just drill, burn and wire brush the old rubber out.

You can always remove the outer shell it if my memory is wrong but you can't put it back in........

Sorry for bumping an old'ish thread, but I finally got my Old Man Emu leaf packs in and found out they didn't come with bushings installed. I will also be swapping my stock shackles back in, so will be replacing the shackle to frame bushings also.

We have Energy Suspension part 3.2125 for the front leaf eyelet. Same as Prothane part 7804.
Prothane part 6810 for the shackle to frame bushing.
What would the part be for the rear leaf eyelet bushing?

I already ordered the shackle to frame bushing, so don't want to waste money on a kit for just the rear leaf bushing.

Also: do both eyelets need a metal bushing sleeve?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.2124

This is the kit from Energy Suspension that works for your explorer EXCEPT the front eye bushing.
Look on the right side of the page.....the " In The Box" tab shows all the parts in the kit with the part numbers that are molded into the urethane bushings listed.
Call the guys on that website and get them to help you match the rear eye bushing.
They can actually measure the parts and figure it out.
As far as the install goes......the kit is designed to remove the old steel outer shells and install the poly right into the spring eye with nothing but the poly in contact with the spring steel.
IMPORTANT! when you install your energy suspension part number 3.2125 you must LEAVE THE FRONT SPRING EYE BUSHING IN THE SPRING EYE. This is not the way the typical bushing from energy suspension is installed but it is what I did in order to find a fit and it has worked and is still working flawlessly 6 years later in my sons 1998 X.
I also recommend that you buy extra grease from those guys at energy suspension parts because they don't give you very much in the kits.
Let me know if you need any further info.

• 4 - 2086 - Bushing Halves
  • 4 - 2061 - Bushing Halves
  • 6 - Center Metal Sleeves '2061 '2089 '2086
It looks like the bushings that you need will be the smaller of these 2 molded on part numbers and the corresponding metal sleeves. These are all Energy Suspension part numbers.

PS sorry about the giant font. i think it defaulted to that size because I copied and pasted a word that was in bold letters.

the " In The Box" tab shows all the parts in the kit with the part numbers that are molded into the urethane bushings listed.

I must have missed that part of that page, because that's exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you for pointing that out.

IMPORTANT! when you install your energy suspension part number 3.2125 you must LEAVE THE FRONT SPRING EYE BUSHING IN THE SPRING EYE..

Do you actually mean to leave the outer metal bushing sleeve in the front spring eye?
This would explain why the 3.2125 bushing is too small for the OME leaf packs that did not come with any bushings...

Do you actually mean to leave the outer metal bushing sleeve in the front spring eye?
This would explain why the 3.2125 bushing is too small for the OME leaf packs that did not come with any bushings...
I spoke to them about this and for poly bushings you leave the old sleeve. What I usually do when I replace bushings is rent a "Upper Control Arm Bushing kit" which is basically a small Ball joint press. Then I push out the rubber along with the inner sleeve. Alternative is drilling small holes in the rubber or burning the rubber (I don't suggest this, its very toxic). If the replacement bushing has no metal sleeve then I clean the inside of the outer sleeve and lube up and install the poly bushing. If the new bushing has a metal sleeve then I take an air hammer, dent the old metal sleeve, and proceed to punch it out.

I have two questions related to this:
1. On this Energy Susp kit 4.124 --

What are the rounded large washer-type bushings in the kit used for on our springs? (I'm talking about the ones on the far right in the pic in the link). I can't see any use for them.

2. On the frame-to-shackle bushing...does the flanged side of the bushing go on the outside-edge of the frame? It's not clear in the pics I'm seeing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have two questions related to this:
1. On this Energy Susp kit 4.124 --

What are the rounded large washer-type bushings in the kit used for on our springs? (I'm talking about the ones on the far right in the pic in the link). I can't see any use for them.

2. On the frame-to-shackle bushing...does the flanged side of the bushing go on the outside-edge of the frame? It's not clear in the pics I'm seeing.

The flanged bushings goes in to the washer-type. That side, with the large washer-type, goes on the inside framerail.
It's basically a 2-piece bushing.

According to the instructions, anyway.

Back