Need New Ball Joints? Buyers Guide | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need New Ball Joints? Buyers Guide

I agree too... It seems Moog went to mostly cheap crap not long after this was posted.

Well that's good I didn't end up buying bad quality hardware. Thanks for letting me know guys! I ended up getting some raybestos pro grade ball joints. They were about $23 apiece from rockauto. They also have grease relief valves like the moogs. Don't know about the extra 10 degrees of rotation though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing ball joints

Hi all,

Just wanted an opinion on wether or not I should replace my ball joints or what is wrong with them?

Every time I go over a speed bump a hear a massive clunk in the front and wanted your opinion again on the cause of that noise.

Here are the pictures of the two upper and lower ball joints.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Mc8Om

Thanks heaps.

Jake

Did the noise start after you did the 2" lift yesterday? ALL boots appear torn with little or no grease. Position of the ball joints in the sockets have also changed after your TT. Lift and support from the LCA forward facing "hooks and check for excessive lower and upper ball joint movement. Did you install camber kits and check alignment as previously advised?

Did the noise start after you did the 2" lift yesterday? ALL boots appear torn with little or no grease. Position of the ball joints in the sockets have also changed after your TT. Lift and support from the LCA forward facing "hooks and check for excessive lower and upper ball joint movement. Did you install camber kits and check alignment as previously advised?

Yes the noise has happened before the TT.

Hi all,

Just wanted an opinion on wether or not I should replace my ball joints or what is wrong with them?

Every time I go over a speed bump a hear a massive clunk in the front and wanted your opinion again on the cause of that noise.

Here are the pictures of the two upper and lower ball joints.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Mc8Om

Thanks heaps.

Jake
You need balljoints. If you want to know how bad it is, place a jack under the lower control arm and get the tire an inch or two off the ground. Grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock the wheel. If there's movement- they're really toast. Clunk going over a speedbump + your pics = im betting they're long gone.

Back