Back up sensor bumper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back up sensor bumper?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I didn't even know the second gens had this option. I'm guessing it isn't just plug and play. Has anyone swapped one of these into their X? I personally wouldn't pay this much for a used bumper. But my local junkyard usually has 10-15 explorers, so I'm sure I'll find one of these eventually. I'm just wondering if it's worth the swap. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/98-99-01-FORD...-SENSORS-GENUINE-OEM-/201566519928?nav=SEARCH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's sort of plug and play. You need the bumper harness, the sensors, the module, the speaker and the switch. The bumper harness plugs into the truck harness behind the passenger side tail light. The plug for the module and speaker are tucked up inside the jack storage compartment up high close to the top. The wiring for the switch is plugged into a dummy plug behind the dash trim. If you can't get the trim panel from the donor car you'll need to cut a hole in yours to mount the switch. The easiest way would be to swap the whole bumper out sensors and all, but the only one I found didn't match my truck. So I used a hole saw to cut the holes for the sensors. Works great.

It's sort of plug and play. You need the bumper harness, the sensors, the module, the speaker and the switch. The bumper harness plugs into the truck harness behind the passenger side tail light. The plug for the module and speaker are tucked up inside the jack storage compartment up high close to the top. The wiring for the switch is plugged into a dummy plug behind the dash trim. If you can't get the trim panel from the donor car you'll need to cut a hole in yours to mount the switch. The easiest way would be to swap the whole bumper out sensors and all, but the only one I found didn't match my truck. So I used a hole saw to cut the holes for the sensors. Works great.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I found an Eddie Bauer at the local junkyard that has the dash with the "P" button. I'm guessing that's it? I saw the dummy plug in mine when I replaced my dash lights and wondered what it was. The X I found didn't have the bumper, I'm guessing the former owner got tired of it and removed it. I'll look to see if the module and speaker are in the jack area. So there's a harness behind the tail light? Or does it somehow plug into the light socket?

Yup, that's the switch. The plug is behind the passenger tail light housing. It is a round-ish looking plug, and should probably have a rubber plug cover on it unless someone removed it for some reason.

I wondered why there was a plug behind that tail light. I thought it was another hookup for trailer lights.

Yup, that's the switch. The plug is behind the passenger tail light housing. It is a round-ish looking plug, and should probably have a rubber plug cover on it unless someone removed it for some reason.

Ok so I pulled the module and switch. Is the speaker built into the module? I didn't see it in the jack area. I'm getting the bumper tomorrow as I need a breaker bar to remove it.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums...oads/FB3D9503-FE8F-44DD-8634-5EB4E8FAE273.jpg

Sorry about the late reply, I've been really busy with work. My speaker/buzzer was in the jack compartment, but I've heard that depending on the year and build date it could be in the dash somewhere.

Sorry about the late reply, I've been really busy with work. My speaker/buzzer was in the jack compartment, but I've heard that depending on the year and build date it could be in the dash somewhere.

No problem I appreciate the help. I only saw one speaker in the cargo area, but I thought it was the 5th speaker that some explorers have. It was opposite of the jack, on the right side of the cargo area. Do you remember how the speaker looks? This is the only thing I could find online:

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/F-1...-New-Parking-Aid-Speaker-p/4l1z-15a866-aa.htm

Back