Windshield Cracked / Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Cracked / Replacement

Regarding to the cause of crack, I have to take it back.

I did call service advisor at dealer yesterday and he suggested over 90% of cracks are caused by stone chip. I did check it in the morning and didn’t notice anything because it was dark and wet. So I had another closer look of my windshield after work and to my surprise I did see a tiny white point right on the crack. I think it is less than half of a sesame.

Now I remember Tuesday afternoon while driving, I did hear a relatively loud pop while driving. My interior routinely creaks/pops a couple times when the car is warmed up and I believe it is related to the wood trim on glove box. So I didn’t realize that was probably the incident because it was much quieter than other stone chips I had before.

So I called insurance company and they suggested Speedy Glass or Apple Auto Glass although I can choose Ford dealer as my own choice. I am now kind of nervous doing this because the fear that it would be never be the same as factory installed. Of cause the other immediate impact is $300 deductible that I have to pay. And thanks to blwnsmoke suggestion, I confirmed with insurance company that they will pay for OEM parts.

If anyone could share some experience on replacing windshield then it would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did call service advisor at dealer yesterday and he suggested over 90% of cracks are caused by stone chip. I did check it in the morning and didn’t notice anything because it was dark and wet. So I had another closer look of my windshield after work and to my surprise I did see a tiny white point right on the crack. I think it is less than half of a sesame.

Now I remember Tuesday afternoon while driving, I did hear a relatively loud pop while driving. My interior routinely creaks/pops a couple times when the car is warmed up and I believe it is related to the wood trim on glove box. So I didn’t realize that was probably the incident because it was much quieter than other stone chips I had before.

So I called insurance company and they suggested Speedy Glass or Apple Auto Glass although I can choose Ford dealer as my own choice. I am now kind of nervous doing this because the fear that it would be never be the same as factory installed. Of cause the other immediate impact is $300 deductible that I have to pay. And thanks to blwnsmoke suggestion, I confirmed with insurance company that they will pay for OEM parts.

If anyone could share some experience on replacing windshield then it would be much appreciated.

Replacing the windshiled is no big deal. Just make sure the install the OEM one and you will be fine. I have had one replaced in one of my Explorers before, with no issue. If you don't have Ford do it then just be sure to check the company out before calling one...

When I got my new 15 back in July this year, it had what looked like large "snowflakes" in the windshield at the bottom. I didn't know what that was and neither did the salesman. After purchasing the vehicle I took it to the service department and they told me that it was a defective windshield and it was "delaminating". I made an appointment and when they got the original replacement windshield in it was replaced. No problems and no leaks and no more "snowflakes" in my windshield. The bottom line is that replacing a windshield is not that big of a deal. Of course mine was done under warranty because it was a manufacturing defect but as long as you get the factory replacement it should look and perform just like the original.

As TinMan4154 mentioned, make sure that the company installs the correct type of windshield. I believe it is called a SoundScreen.

Peter

No big deal having it replaced. Glass companies do it every day. Big thing is OEM like I said but shouldn't matter who does it.

No big deal

I had to replace the windshield on my 2011 to pass inspection a few years ago. They wound up breaking the plastic clips on the passenger side "A" pillar and had to redo that but otherwise it was no big deal. I had it done at the local independent glass shop which my dealership uses for glass work. I have a fifty dollar deductible comprehensive policy and they took care of it.
Just make sure you do what the glass shop says and don't be slamming doors shut with windows up putting pressure on the new windshield for a week to let the sealant cure.:)

Quick question. Stray rock clipped the windshield leading to a crack slowly creeping all the way across half at now. I could only find 1 place near me that does exact factory glass. My question is it worth it to wait a week or so for the next appointment or will any glass be just as good?

factory glass has special acoustic plastic as the laminate to absorb sound as far as I know, not sure if aftermarket one does so it may let more noise through.

Yes, wait. Some aftermarket glass will have distortions. Have you tried SafeLite? They got my OEM glass the same day I called.

I had to replace my 2011 windshield last week. Got quotes from 2-3 places.

The key is to confirm that the glass you get has:
  • sound deadening
  • dotted middle visor behind rear view mirror
  • whether or not the quote includes the A pillar trim
  • type of warranty you get
  • Sun shade tint at the top

Since mine is 5 years old, I took a chance on a non-OEM windshield. And I couldn't be happier. the ONLY difference is that it's missing the Ford logo at the bottom, center of the windshield.

It's quiet as OEM, looks OEM, and it cost 1/3 the price of Safelite.

BUT...I do believe Safelite quote includes 2 new A pillar trim pieces. I was able to remove mine without breaking them, so I didn't need to buy new ones. (they're $150+ a pair)

If you want name of where I got mine done, send me a Private Message and I'll be glad to share. Or you can google Auto glass windshield and get several to check out.

Good luck.

I had to replace my 2011 windshield last week. Got quotes from 2-3 places.

The key is to confirm that the glass you get has:
  • sound deadening
  • dotted middle visor behind rear view mirror
  • whether or not the quote includes the A pillar trim
  • type of warranty you get
  • Sun shade tint at the top

Since mine is 5 years old, I took a chance on a non-OEM windshield. And I couldn't be happier. the ONLY difference is that it's missing the Ford logo at the bottom, center of the windshield.

It's quiet as OEM, looks OEM, and it cost 1/3 the price of Safelite.

BUT...I do believe Safelite quote includes 2 new A pillar trim pieces. I was able to remove mine without breaking them, so I didn't need to buy new ones. (they're $150+ a pair)

If you want name of where I got mine done, send me a Private Message and I'll be glad to share. Or you can google Auto glass windshield and get several to check out.

Good luck.

Only the retaining clips need to be replaced on the pillar trim. Ford states they are one time use only and you risk the trim coming off if reusing them. Just FYI.

If I recall correctly, the windshield has "Sound Screen" written on it. The replacement should also have that then if you're going with OEM replacement.

Peter

There are a few aftermarket replacements for cars that will have some flavor of sound dampening. Often they are made by the people manufactuer _________ didn't choose for the car.

IE if your car has pilkinton glass, then the PPG replacement will have their version of sound dampening but it's "not OEM"

etc etc. There are basically 4 major glass makers for automotive. PPG (now PGW I believe), Pilkington (NSG) and Sekurit (Saint- Gobain). There are mergers and cross country ties. There are some other asian companies but their product is predominately on asian makers. NSG however is one of those.

Thank you guys for the advice. I was thinking the same thing with the sound screen portion. I figured since this car is a few months old I wanted the best i can get and this is the same company my dealer uses.

Wanted to avoid using insurance, but the cheapest they could do it was $700-$800.

I feel for you I thought I had a chip yesterday but thank god it ended up being a blob of tree sap that the wipers couldn't wipe off. Years back I got the cheapes aftermarket windshield I could buy on my Accord and it was so bad I think a feather could chip it. A year later I had little pits that looked like if woody pecked at it all night. Another thing is if your cars a lease look up fords policy on windshields upon return.

Now that I know you're car is only a few months old, I'd insist on OEM glass as well. Mine is 5 yrs old and I probably won't keep it for more than another yr or 2, so the non-OEM is fine for this one.

Yes for such a new car and a lease I'd insist on OEM replacement.

actually for an 8 year old car I actually own outright I still insist on an OEM replacement.

Yes, wait. Some aftermarket glass will have distortions. Have you tried SafeLite? They got my OEM glass the same day I called.

Is OEM same as factory? i read Safelite makes their own glass is that correct? The closest appointment I could get is 21 May. if Safelite can do it sooner that be nice I just want to be sure its just as good as factory.

I just had my windshield replaced last week with aftermarket Pilkinton(sp?) glass and have no issues. No waviness, distortions or increase in noise. It is sound deadening as well. The glass has a small ear symbol in the passenger corner as well as stated on the work order.

Didn't cost me a dime since I have 0 deductible glass coverage under my insurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the past I have had:

PGW - Wavy distortions 2002 F250
Pilkington - No issues 2011 F150

When the wife's windshield cracks into view, I will be requesting Pilkington 2011 Explorer

Back