Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woo those times are much slower up there..really nice gains from just a 50 shot tho..do you have a wideband a/f gauge? I ask because i wonder if your running overly rich when the nitrous is on because of the lack of oxygen. .might need to go down 1 number or 2 on the fuel jet..""might""

When are you spraying? Do you have a pressure gauge on the bottle also??

Your R/T are getting better ,what gears and tires do you have?

My van needs this.

Woo those times are much slower up there..really nice gains from just a 50 shot tho..do you have a wideband a/f gauge? I ask because i wonder if your running overly rich when the nitrous is on because of the lack of oxygen. .might need to go down 1 number or 2 on the fuel jet..""might""

When are you spraying? Do you have a pressure gauge on the bottle also??

Your R/T are getting better ,what gears and tires do you have?

I'm spraying once i hit 3000 rpm. Don't have a a/f gauge or a pressure gauge on the bottle. Stock gears and Goodyear Wranglers Radials tires. Tires probably hurt my ET and MPH but gotta have them for the occasional snow storms

Awesome!
You have done the hard work. As you fine tune those et's will come down for sure.
Nice to see another build!

Awesome!
You have done the hard work. As you fine tune those et's will come down for sure.

Thanks! It would be awesome to get into the 16s

Awesome!

Would a larger exhaust help my ET?

Would a larger exhaust help my ET?

It will help on the big end but down low and 60' times might suffer.

What are your factory gears? If your not at least 3.73 this should be your next mod to drop your ET.

Have you considered getting a set of cheap rims and putting smaller/sticker tires on rear just for track?if you knew what gears you had (ie 3.55- 3.73 ls or open) and tire size (28-31???) Would tell us alot more info. Alot of other little mods you can do also that would help alot

Are 2wd also??

Have you considered getting a set of cheap rims and putting smaller/sticker tires on rear just for track?if you knew what gears you had (ie 3.55- 3.73 ls or open) and tire size (28-31???) Would tell us alot more info. Alot of other little mods you can do also that would help alot

Are 2wd also??

P235/75R15 Wrangler Radial tires. Pretty sure i have stock gears. I'm almost at redline in third gear crossing the finish line. 4wd unfortunately

P235/75R15 Wrangler Radial tires. Pretty sure i have stock gears. I'm almost at redline in third gear crossing the finish line. 4wd unfortunately

Stock can mean many different sizes..look on the door jam and see what rear end code it has

Tires are 28"

Stock can mean many different sizes..look on the door jam and see what rear end code it has
/QUOTE]

Says D4 so i believe thats 3.73

What kind of mods do you recommend?

Id start with the free stuff,like checking your throttle cable for slack and adding zip ties if it has any.then maybe half blade throttle mod...then efan and high flow filter.even under drive crank pulley and high flow cats/exhaust. .or even ford racing carbon fiber clutches for the rear end,i assume yours are original and about done for..

Your biggest power mods will be internal though, cam and bigger vavles.or even porting the lower manifold and headers

Sticky tires are gonna be probably the best mod though. .some nice 28x10.50 (275/50) would let you launch at much higher rpms and or replace those rear clutches if original

Guess it all depends on your funds and how much track time you really do..first id throw a 75 shot at it

Id start with the free stuff,like checking your throttle cable for slack and adding zip ties if it has any.then maybe half blade throttle mod...then efan and high flow filter.even under drive crank pulley and high flow cats/exhaust. .or even ford racing carbon fiber clutches for the rear end,i assume yours are original and about done for..

Your biggest power mods will be internal though, cam and bigger vavles.or even porting the lower manifold and headers

Sticky tires are gonna be probably the best mod though. .some nice 28x10.50 (275/50) would let you launch at much higher rpms and or replace those rear clutches if original

Guess it all depends on your funds and how much track time you really do..first id throw a 75 shot at it

I'm almost outta high school so i don't have a whole lotta spending money. I've done the cable mod, I have a KKM filter and a dynomax super turbo muffler. I've always thought about getting a full exhaust kit but never knew if the power gain would be worth the money.

About the 75 shot...i have the NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped at what you recommended. They look great after doing plenty of nitrous runs. Would i need to upgrade the spark plugs to do the 75 shot?

I'm almost outta high school so i don't have a whole lotta spending money. I've done the cable mod, I have a KKM filter and a dynomax super turbo muffler. I've always thought about getting a full exhaust kit but never knew if the power gain would be worth the money.

About the 75 shot...i have the NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped at what you recommended. They look great after doing plenty of nitrous runs. Would i need to upgrade the spark plugs to do the 75 shot?

Nope.Tr6 should be fine.people over on RPS have sprayed i think up to a 125 shot but they had tuning to support that

Nope.Tr6 should be fine.people over on RPS have sprayed i think up to a 125 shot but they had tuning to support that

Sweet. 75hp is the limit i plan on ever doing. I might port the manifold and exhaust to make sure they're matched up. What's your thoughts on upgrading the exhaust pipes an extra .25 inch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. 75hp is the limit i plan on ever doing. I might port the manifold and exhaust to make sure they're matched up. What's your thoughts on upgrading the exhaust pipes an extra .25 inch?

I dont think exhaust mods on a basically stock motor (IE no cam or head mods) is worth much as far as power.i know headers dont even gain you a hp with stock heads,valves and cam..

Personally id spend it on efan or under drive pulley..both are proven to release hp

Back