Does Anyone Else Hate The Amber Headlight Housings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does Anyone Else Hate The Amber Headlight Housings?

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 XSport and I've always swapped the amber parking light bulbs with switchbacks (they illuminate white until turn signal deployed they flash amber) in other vehicles.
I do notice the parking light area of the housing has 2 separate bulbs- one dedicated solely to parking lights and the other dedicated to turning.
I recently bought some white LED bulbs with resistors built into them from CariD. (Yeah I know the white bulbs will still illuminate amber in the amber housing.).
My plan is to take out the amber parking light bulbs altogether, so no constant orange glow unless turn signals are deployed. Also got some amber LED turn signal bulbs for rear as well.
Anyone know if this is going to cause any rapid flash issues?
I also got some white halos for the foglights that I will wire into the DRL.
H11 Fogs and 9005 headlights have been replaced with Philips Diamond Vision 5000K halogens and they look nice and white! Happy with them and ten times better than the ugly stock yellow bulbs. Those things were awfully bad lighting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 XSport and I've always swapped the amber parking light bulbs with switchbacks (they illuminate white until turn signal deployed they flash amber) in other vehicles.
I do notice the parking light area of the housing has 2 separate bulbs- one dedicated solely to parking lights and the other dedicated to turning.
I recently bought some white LED bulbs with resistors built into them from CariD. (Yeah I know the white bulbs will still illuminate amber in the amber housing.).
My plan is to take out the amber parking light bulbs altogether, so no constant orange glow unless turn signals are deployed. Also got some amber LED turn signal bulbs for rear as well.
H11 Fogs and 9005 headlights have been replaced with Philips Diamond Vision 5000K halogens and they look nice and white! Happy with them and ten times better than the ugly stock yellow bulbs. Those things were awfully bad lighting.
To answer your initial question, NO.

Peter

Did you ever change the amber lenses?

Peter

Did you ever change the amber lenses?

Peter
I didn't change them out ever; just put black tint over the amber part of light.
I changed rear lights with LED which caused rapid flash, so added resistors.
I now have an MKT, and in forscan there is an option to cancel rapid flash; maybe could've done that on the Explorer too.

I didn't change them out ever; just put black tint over the amber part of light.
I now have an MKT, and in forscan there is an option to cancel rapid flash; maybe could've done that on the Explorer too.
I had a 2014 MKT.

I had a 2014 MKT.
How many miles did yours have? Have any problems with it? What do you have now?
Got mine at 48K and immediately had leaking PTU and rear diff fixed under warranty.
My USAA insurance went up $900 per year switching from 13 Xsport to 16 MKT. They told me Lincolns are one of the more expensive cars to insure. Makes no sense to me. I'm 45yrs old, no tickets in past 5 yrs

Not many miles on it. It was a showroom vehicle and I lease all my vehicles and don't drive much anymore. It had just over 6200 miles in the 2.5 years I had it. Then went to a 2017 Platinum Explorer. I didn't have any issues with it at all. My insurance actually went down $89 compared to my 2011 Explorer Limited As the margin profile shows, I now have a 2020 Aviator and loving it. I'm 74 and no tickets at all.

Peter

Yes you can stop rapid flash by using the code from this spreadsheets :

Back