• Register Today It's free!

PTU Fluid

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all. I want to run full synthetic in my 2013 XSport. Does anyone have any knowledge on the types of fluids I will need?

1) PTU Fluid? What kind?
2) Oil? What kind and viscosity?
3) Any other fluids I cqan change to synthetic?

I'm in Atlanta where temps reach a humid 100 degrees in summer and gets into the teens sometimes in winter.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. I want to run full synthetic in my 2013 XSport. Does anyone have any knowledge on the types of fluids I will need?

1) PTU Fluid? What kind?
2) Oil? What kind and viscosity?
3) Any other fluids I cqan change to synthetic?

I'm in Atlanta where temps reach a humid 100 degrees in summer and gets into the teens sometimes in winter.

Thanks
All the answers should be in your Owner's Manual. The PTU is supposed to be 'lifetime', if you want to go along with the Manual. You can also check out this recent thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445603
It is a good idea to read the Manual cover to cover, perhaps even several times as many questions brought up here have answers that are found in the Manual.

Peter

Yeah Peter I'm pretty sure the PTU fluid is not in the manual.
I'm trying to get a direct answer...you know, from someone who has already dealt with it

Can Dexose be used in our XSports?
Pretty sure the previous owner told me he put it in

Can Dexose be used in our XSports?
Pretty sure the previous owner told me he put it in

Kennesaw? I'm in Marietta haha. I just changed mine out. After reading the opinions of others on here it prompted me to do it. We have 20k on ours. Oil was dark. Went with Royal Purple Max Gear.

140. If you're up in the air about where to get this done I would consider G&S auto muffler in Kennesaw by Cowboys. That's where I get all of my exhaust work done and they're honest and good people.

Yes thank you! I went to Havoline Xpress Lube off 92 near Bells Ferry and they couldn't do it. So I will be going to G&S.
Dealership told me not to use gear fluid that has additives in it like Royal Purple, so I'm on the hunt for another full synthetic fluid...

140. If you're up in the air about where to get this done I would consider G&S auto muffler in Kennesaw by Cowboys. That's where I get all of my exhaust work done and they're honest and good people.

Would you mind giving me a rundown of what it takes to get to the drain plug and whereabouts it's located?

Yeah Peter I'm pretty sure the PTU fluid is not in the manual. I'm trying to get a direct answer...you know, from someone who has already dealt with it
75W-140. Less than a quart. Amsoil Severe Gear would be a good choice. This task is on my To Do list.

75W-90 in the rear diff. Again, Amsoil. Again, on my To Do list!

I exchanged the fluid in the trans with a full syn Mercon LV spec fluid using a BG machine. Castrol Transmax.

That vid was informative. Did you do this? Relocated your hose permanently? I did notice that original hose had some sort of clamp/plug on it, and in the vid it looked like the guy didn't move it to his new hose?

No, I retained the factory tube. It's not that bad a of job with the MDesign intake, opens up that area a lot. My buddy is also a Ford master tech so that helped lol.

Well damn, it looks like the 2013 XSport does NOT have a drain plug. Found the fill plug but no drain plug. Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a drain plug?
I'd really like to change out the fluid after having to replace a ptu on a tuned Flex once (it too did not have a drain plug).
If no drain plug, would it have to be suctioned out? What kind of vacuum would one need to do this?

Well damn, it looks like the 2013 XSport does NOT have a drain plug. Found the fill plug but no drain plug. Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a drain plug?
I'd really like to change out the fluid after having to replace a ptu on a tuned Flex once (it too did not have a drain plug).
If no drain plug, would it have to be suctioned out? What kind of vacuum would one need to do this?
Have you seen this thread? It may help. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...r-diff-fluid-change-2011-explorer-xlt.446413/

Peter

You do need to use an air compressor to suction the fluid out of the PTU. Another good practice is to fill your PTU to the fill line and then add an extra PINT to it. The reasoning for this is to prevent any cavitation from occurring after the fluid is hot and becomes less viscus.

Perfect. Thank you guys. The shop said they can do this but I have to come back another day. About an hour and a half job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a drain plug. The factory repair manual outlines this and the procedure to change--but you can't get to the fill port!

The youtube video is a much better option. By removing the drain plug and filling from the vent tube...

Back