2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Oh fun.... But easy fix, but hope the part has been updated to prevent another issue. Should know more tomorrow. Until then, driving a Focus :(

20160505_181936-M.jpg

They gave me a Mazda 3, 10 year old car for 3 days when they were oiling the vista sunroof because it would not close on my 13 Edge sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yikes! This is thru Enterprise and what a POS it is.... and the tabs are now expired and the oil change light is on... should get word on new rental tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about the oil light. They typically don't have the services done at the dealer, so sometimes the shops forget to reset the oil light. The rental car companies are very strict about the maintenance on their vehicles. The registration is an issue, but they will either update the tags or just switch you out. If Ford is paying for the rental then they will need to keep you in a Ford product. I got an Expedition from them today.

honestly I don't care if the oil is good or not, they've been told and they didn't care.
I should be out of this thing today. I have also escalated the TB issue with [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] and they are helping as well in the timeline and repair efforts.

Just got a call from FMC CSM (customer service manager) and they have authorized a larger vehicle (thank you!) and that parts are shipping tomorrow and "aren't the ones failing" (taking that with a grain of salt and hope that's correct) and will follow back up with me on Friday and should have vehicle next week (mid or later) - Crossing fingers!

leased my 2016 explorer xlt in January of this year. this past weekend my electronic throttle body went sour. mt mileage was only 3K. very scary while it occurred on the highway. dealer said the part wont be in until perhaps 2 weeks. they gave me a low budget loaner. very irate. this is my second lease. i'm hesitant to feel safe when the replacement comes.

Talked to my dealer yesterday. They have 5 other Explorers in the shop with same issue. He said there are no replacement ETBs available anywhere in US because Ford wasn't expecting to need so many of them so soon. Still a 3 week wait. "This is how recalls start" he added.

Talked to my dealer yesterday. They have 5 other Explorers in the shop with same issue. He said there are no replacement ETBs available anywhere in US because Ford wasn't expecting to need so many of them so soon. Still a 3 week wait. "This is how recalls start" he added.
Dave, did the dealer mention if the others were all 2016 models? For some reason most recent reports all are from 2016 owners.

Peter

The Ford Manager I spoke with on the phone, did mention the TB is different for the 16.

So the TB has arrived on 5/11!!! - installed, test driven, will be test driven today and if no issues, I should get my EX back tomorrow - plenty of time before the road trip!
TB replaced
Cooling fans replaced
Seat cooling checked and "OK"

So surprising phone call yesterday - he TB has arrived on 5/11!!! - Replacement TB unit installed, test driven, will be test driven today and if no issues, I should get my EX back tomorrow - plenty of time before the road trip!

So the TB has arrived on 5/11!!! - installed, test driven, will be test driven today and if no issues, I should get my EX back tomorrow - plenty of time before the road trip!
TB replaced
Cooling fans replaced
Seat cooling checked and "OK"

Not that it will benefit me (up here in Canada), but credit is due for this excellent service you received from your dealership.

Throttle Body replaced, PN AT4Z*9E926*B THROTTLE BODY AND MOTOR ASY

20160513_154533-M.jpg

So excited to find this forum! Just bought a 2016 Explorer XLT. I saw many posts on this forum and others about the throttle body issues. They appear to be popping up around 8k-10k miles. Are all Explorers affected? When replaced, wouldn't it just happen again? Lastly, it is Ecoboosts and V6s?

Debating a road trip when I am around that mileage but don't want to risk it.

So excited to find this forum! Just bought a 2016 Explorer XLT. I saw many posts on this forum and others about the throttle body issues. They appear to be popping up around 8k-10k miles. Are all Explorers affected? When replaced, wouldn't it just happen again? Lastly, it is Ecoboosts and V6s?

Debating a road trip when I am around that mileage but don't want to risk it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The 2016 models seem to be plagued with throttle body and squealing cooling fans. As mentioned in posts above, the throttle body is a redesigned one compared to ones used in previous years. It hasn't been mentioned whether the replacements are the identical ones or modified like the replacement fan motors have. Checking the trim levels in the margins of this thread, it doesn't appear any vehicles with the Ecoboost have been affected.

Peter

Mine is an EcoBoost (2016 Sport) & was affected.

Mark
I read your posts Mark and from what I understood from them was that the issue wasn't the throttle body as you said, "The new Throttle Body did not fix the issue. Looks like the smoke test & tightening of the ducts fixed the issue."

Peter

I read your posts Mark and from what I understood from them was that the issue wasn't the throttle body as you said, "The new Throttle Body did not fix the issue. Looks like the smoke test & tightening of the ducts fixed the issue."

Peter

True, but what I am unsure of is whether the loose duct connections were from the factory, or possibly from the replacement of the throttle body. What I'm getting at is: Did the new Throttle Body fix the issue, but the technicians introduce a new source for the problem, by not properly tightening the ducts when they installed the new Throttle Body? I don't know. I all know at the moment, is that I've gone close to 4,000 miles since the last visit, with no problems. Going back to the dealer for my first oil change next week.
I haven't really seen how the throttle body is connected to the cylinders on a modern engine. In my mind, the throttle body (or carburetor on an older engine) sits on top of a fairly large piece of cast & machined metal (the intake manifold) that sits in the valley between the cylinder banks (on a V-design engine) of the engine.
I'm not certain that is any longer the case in newer V-designed engines, as installed in the 2016 Explorers.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I am new to the forum and have just experienced the "Throttle Body" issue. Not sure what to expect once it is "fixed". Hopefully it doesn't take 2 - 4 weeks for the part to arrive.

Back