Ford Explorer Sport Fluids- Converting To Fully Synthetic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Sport Fluids- Converting To Fully Synthetic

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
So far I have called 4 dealerships with widely varying answers regarding fluids in my 2013 XSport. Maybe some of you can chime in (minus the pasive-aggressive "search is your friend" and "it's been covered in another thread" and "read your owners manual cover to cover, multiple times").
Let us keep in mind that I plan on doing a Livernois 93boost tune with .030 gapped sparks, 160 (or 170?) Tstat, and 3-bar map sensor.
The best info I could ascertain after spending my entire morning speaking to 4 local Ford dealerships:

1) Brake fluid- can be upgraded from DOT3 to DOT4. Some think the 2013 already has DOT4, some think its DOT3. Anyone know for sure? Their Motorcraft version is semisynthetic, but they said I could take it elsewhere for full synthetic ($250ish)

2) Transmission fluid- OEM is semisynthetic MERCON LV. Anyone have a recommendation for a full synthetic? ($250ish is the cost for synthetic service is what the tech told me)

3) Front differential- tech said it cannot be changed- it is a sealed unit. Anyone beg to differ?

4) Rear Differential- Tech said viscosity is 80w90. Anyone have suggestion for a good brand to use? Tech told me not to use Royal Purple since it has additives. ($150ish)

5) PTU- Tech thought it was 75w140? Said it could cost up to $150 to be serviced. Again he said not to use a fully synthetic gear oil that has additives. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

6) Coolant- Tech said its the orange stuff...what would that be? Should I just leave this alone? Any reason to swap this out or is it all the same? I will soon be running a cooler Thermostat...

7) Oil- The oil cap on my 2013 XSport says "5W30"...BUT the tech insisted I run 5W20! Does this sound right? Anyone object? Any opinions/suggestions on a good full synthetic oil? ($75)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 'orange stuff' is VC-3DIL-B (US) according to the Manual's list of specifications. It is a Pre-Diluted Antifreeze/Coolant.
The oil cap on mine also shows 5W-30 but the dealership always uses 5W-20 Premium oil (non synthetic).
For the PTU, my Manual shows Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle
Lubricant. It also confirms what the teach said about the rear differential (AWD) Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant.
Mobil 1 and Amsol both have synthetic transmission fluids with Amsol stating it has one for transmissions requiring Ford's MERCON® LV and SP fluid.
Hope that helps.

Peter

file

file

I went to a Havoline Xpress Lube (Chevron) and for $275 they
-flushed and filled the transmission fluid with full synthetic ATF- the pics show the dirty fluid coming out and the new red fluid going in. 45,000 miles is where I'm at. Guess I'll go to 100,000 before changing it again?
-Havoline DS full synthetic 5w20 oil. What do you think? Go 6,000 miles before next oil change?
-GL-5 differential. They didn't have synthetic.

They were unable and unwilling to do the work it takes to get to the PTU drain plug. I wonder where to go to get this done? After replacing the transfer case on my previous Flex EB I am determined to get this flushed and filled!

I thought the Sport called for 5W-30? Turbo.

Non-turbo is 5W-20.

It does. Not sure why anyone would run anything but 5-30 in their 3.5 Ecoboost.

As mentioned before, my dealer puts Premium 5W-20 in mine. When I asked about it they told me that is what they put in all of them. If it was actually my vehicle and not leased, I would probably use the 5W-30 Synthetic blend.

Peter

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/5w20-cafe.shtml

After reading this, and some back and forths in another Ford forum on w20 vs w30, I am inclined to stick with 5w30 at next oil change and on.
I have not tuned yet, but seems anyone with anything more than a stock turbo engine should be running synthetic 5w30.

Hi guys!

Just want to ask if there is in fact a front differential or it's termed differently for the 5th generation Explorer. I have 90XXX miles on mine and I want to do gear oil and fluid changes for the front and rear differential, transmission, and PTU myself. As a Filipino foreigner in America, i find the cost of having the dealership do it to be very expensive. Searching online only gives repair information on the 3 except for the front differential.

Any technical advice will help.

Thanks in advance.

The Owner's Manual shows a maintenance schedule of what needs to be done to which items at what intervals/mileage. There is a thread on doing the PTU oil change which is 'supposed' to be a lifetime fluid. I don't believe there is a front differential. I've never checked or read about one.

Peter

That's my big question too. it has a fwd mechanism similar to cars and attached to a PTU towards the rear diff... and i was thinking maybe the lubrication/oil must be part of the engine or transmission or maybe a PTU?

Back