Repairing faded door panels, how?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I have read numerous posts about people fixing their faded door panels. Only issue is they are almost always black/charcoal color panels which they fix with a heat gun and/or some scrubbing.

I have the camel interior and the tops of the panels are damn near white. Every thread I've read with a tan interior, they say they ordered spray paint to match but it doesn't match and/or it doesn't look right, like it doesn't shine the way the stock plastic does.

Any suggestions? My interior is pretty nice after I overhauled it but these door panels are so bad. Gonna redo the cloth inserts at the same time possibly with some black leather.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did my doors a few months ago, same problem as you ....interior good top of doors white.
I used LVP camel. and it does NOT match the correct color. It is just a little bit lighter than the door color. BUT there are at least 4 different color tans in your interior right now. the LVP matches the seat color not the door color. I did my door anyway and it came out great. NO one has noticed. I even had to point it out to some friends that are car guys and show them the diff between the front doors (both) and the rear doors. I couldnt stand looking at the white top doors so I painted mine and I like it. To put this in perspective I am very fussy about my cars and this doesnt bother me at all

I just found that site. Looks like good stuff. I don't have tan seats anymore, I switched to black leather, so i'm really adamant about matching to the dash which is completely un-faded and meets right up next to the horribly faded door panels.

Would you happen to have any pictures? (Specifically looking for that area of the front doors that meet up with the dash)

I remember my VIN brought up my interior being "Medium Light Stone" and that company offers a "MLT Stone" which shows up as medium light stone on the actual page.

Was going to order one can to test, at $14 but wonderfully enough they don't sell you anything unless you spend just under $40. Thats a good way to deter potential customers including myself.

I just took some pics with phone but they are terrible. It doesnt show true colors and it actually looks very bad. Which it is not.
I got mine from Amazon and I just checked they do have mlt stone :
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...aint+mlt+stone&rh=i:aps,k:lvp+paint+mlt+stone

I would give it a try. the sheen matches perfect not to dull or shiny more of a mat.
As mentioned earlier I like it and I'm **** about cars

deves, I just ordered some of the colorbond camel from Amazon to do the panels on my 07 Limited. Did you use the adhesion promoter on the door panels, or did you see that as unnecessary?

I did use the adhesion promoter but only because I had never used that product before. I went strictly by their recommendation and so far it has turned out great. NO problems after several months. The only mistake I made was the color that I used was not a "perfect" match. It is darker than the original but it is close enough that no one can notice the diff. I thought the interior color was camel but mine was "stone" oh well it still looks good .

I just bought some Grey to do same thing on my Lightning door panels and I did not get the adhesion promoter.

So I guess that I didnt really answer your question.

Good luck

I did use the adhesion promoter but only because I had never used that product before. I went strictly by their recommendation and so far it has turned out great.
I thought I should go by the book too so I went ahead and ordered the adhesion promoter... but not the cleaner... I'm sure that's just some cleaner that leaves no residue.

The only mistake I made was the color that I used was not a "perfect" match. It is darker than the original but it is close enough that no one can notice the diff. I thought the interior color was camel but mine was "stone" oh well it still looks good.

Ah that makes me feel a bit better... I've seen your other posts on it not matching and it worried me... I'm certain i have the camel as its the only tan that came in the limited.... Even so if its close enough its better than what I've got now.

Thanks. Very helpful

mine is a limited also and if you look at the interior there are about 4 different color "tan" in your exp right now, so which did Ford list as camel......I dont know... even my seats have 2 diff color tans.. its close enough that no one will be able to notice..

the cleaner is nothing more than simple green in a small bottle. looks the same, smells the same etc. I did wash it multiple times to get rid of ALL the oils, shiney stuff, dirt etc. my application turned out great

mine is a limited also and if you look at the interior there are about 4 different color "tan" in your exp right now, so which did Ford list as camel......I dont know... even my seats have 2 diff color tans.. its close enough that no one will be able to notice

I see.... Well that's good to hear anyway thanks for the help.

Back