change oil or wait | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

change oil or wait

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
Since last week every time I start my EX I have “change oil soon” message on the dash so I went to the dealer to ask them to change the oil, service advisor told me that there is no need for an oil change and they need to follow the service maintenance interval which is 10k or 6 months, I’ve driven 7k+ km so far in four months. They just reset the oil life to I think 50%. I’m concern about the engine, should it be ok if I continue to drive specially this very hot summer weather here (45-50 degree Celsius and humidity up to 100%) I know it’s just algorithm program and doesn’t actually test the oil itself.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For GCC, Ford's recommendation was 8000KM or 6 months, which ever comes first. Resetting the oil life to 50% means the reminder will come again after 8000km/6months from when they reset it.

Note that when the "Change oil soon" warning first comes, you have ~ 800 km before the oil life monitor reaches 0%, at that point the message will change to "Change oil now" (or something similar).

Also, note that the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) system is simply a calculator that calculates oil life, supposedly based on driving conditions, it does not actually measure oil life with a sensor. For the Ford Edge/Explorer/MKX I have seen (2011-2013) with the IOLM, the % was always based on mileage regardless of driving conditions.

If your oil life monitor stated you should change your oil, the dealer should have changed the oil. The oil may last up to 10K miles or 1 year, but you should not go beyond what the OLM says. Sounds like your OLM was telling you to change the oil and the dealer ignored it and reset it.

Also, how does the dealer reset it to 50%? When I do mine, it resets it to 100%, there’s no intermediate set point. Dealer would have to hook into the computer to change that(if they can even do it).

The best thing to do when you have your oil changed is to check to check to IOLM to make sure it was reset. Even though there is a statement on my invoice saying it has been done, I always check it just to make sure. If you are really concerned about it, just have the oil changed, if for nothing else than peace of mind.:)

Peter

Which dealership is this, that doesn't want an easy revenue stream?
All of the Ford dealerships in my surrounding area suggets I come at 8000km/6months, when the maual suggests 12000km/6months.

the dealer you used, and/or it's service writer should be shot for incompetence.

The OLM is an algorithm but it varies the timing based on how you drive - so it's conditional based not a standard X miles or XX months. To that end - change the oil - have it done elsewhere because those morons aren't trustworthy.

I normally go to about 30% of OLM mostly because I do it myself and I use that as my gage to go buy the oil and filter and plan to do the job on the next off time.

The OLM is an algorithm but it varies the timing based on how you drive - so it's conditional based not a standard X miles or XX months. To that end - change the oil - have it done elsewhere because those morons aren't trustworthy.

I understand how it is supposed to work. Unfortunately, at least on the 2011-2013 Edge/MKX/Explorers I first hand have experience on, that is not how it works, it simply calculates mileage. Just like the OP, we get extremely high temperatures (120+F), with extreme city driving habits (very frequent 0-60mph) for short distances, a lot of engine idling (to keep the cars cool), yet, 50% always yields 5000 miles (8000 km), which is supposed to be the highest possible interval!

i'm not so sure if the technician reset to 50% as i'm not in the car when he does he just to me that he will reset it to 50 or 30% so it will be good for my next service. i argue about it but no one seems to listen so i decided to save my time and energy.
i might be changing the oil very soon for my peace of mind outside the dealership.

thanks everyone :)

i'm not so sure if the technician reset to 50% as i'm not in the car when he does he just to me that he will reset it to 50 or 30% so it will be good for my next service. i argue about it but no one seems to listen so i decided to save my time and energy.
i might be changing the oil very soon for my peace of mind outside the dealership.

thanks everyone :)
You can always check to see what the IOLM currently shows. That should give you some idea if it was reset to around 50% or not.

Also found this in your 2012 Manual;
Hot climate oil change intervals: If operating conditions are normal
and you drive your vehicle under typical, everyday conditions and you
are using an API performance category oil of SL or later (for example
SM, etc.) then you can follow the 7,500 mile (12,000 km) normal service
oil change intervals schedule. Vehicles operating in the Middle East,
North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa or locations with similar climates must
follow the oil change interval of 3,000 mile (4,800 km) if the owner is
using oils defined by the American Petroleum Institute (API)
performance category of API SK or earlier (for example SJ, etc.)

Peter

If your ever wondering, just take a sample next time you change it, and send it to blackstone for analysis. It will tell you for sure if you are changing your oil too soon.

If your ever wondering, just take a sample next time you change it, and send it to blackstone for analysis. It will tell you for sure if you are changing your oil too soon.
Or you could just take the $38 you would spend on that, and just... oh, I don't know... CHANGE YOUR OIL.

Unless you suspect a problem with your engine, I have doubts about the value of lab testing your oil. Even if you think you are chewing up a bearing or a cylinder wall, analysis doesn't fix anything. It could only confirm your suspicion.

I would never worry about "changing your oil too soon." It's not like your engine is going to hate having fresh oil run through it. But if you are concerned whether or not you are spending too much money on oil changes ask yourself which is cheaper -- paying for a few too many oil changes over the life of your vehicle, or paying for a new engine.

Or you could just take the $38 you would spend on that, and just... oh, I don't know... CHANGE YOUR OIL.

Unless you suspect a problem with your engine, I have doubts about the value of lab testing your oil. Even if you think you are chewing up a bearing or a cylinder wall, analysis doesn't fix anything. It could only confirm your suspicion.

I would never worry about "changing your oil too soon." It's not like your engine is going to hate having fresh oil run through it. But if you are concerned whether or not you are spending too much money on oil changes ask yourself which is cheaper -- paying for a few too many oil changes over the life of your vehicle, or paying for a new engine.

Yes, that defiantly is the simplest option, truly, not the best value for your buck, but if you want to know if your oil is worn out beyond a doubt, a test would be the way to find out.

Yes, that defiantly is the simplest option, truly, not the best value for your buck, but if you want to know if your oil is worn out beyond a doubt, a test would be the way to find out.
But if I take $38 to Walmart I can buy 6 quarts of oil and a filter (and a 20 oz. Diet Coke), and I KNOW my oil is not worn out.

You are talking about a false economy. You want to spend money so you know when it's okay to spend more money.

But if I take $38 to Walmart I can buy 6 quarts of oil and a filter (and a 20 oz. Diet Coke), and I KNOW my oil is not worn out.

You are talking about a false economy. You want to spend money so you know when it's okay to spend more money.
:thumbsup: I'm with you on this one Chris, except I let the dealer do it while drinking their free coffee.:D

Peter

:thumbsup: I'm with you on this one Chris, except I let the dealer do it while drinking their free coffee.:D

Peter
I like that idea too, Peter.

And I am not trying to just be argumentative. I just think the consumers' money is better spent simply changing their oil. Fresh oil is always better than old oil.

I saw that company also does aircraft oil analysis. That's great. But no matter how well that oil does in analysis, it is still required by regulation to be changed at every 50 hours of engine run time. Why? Because fresh oil is always better than old oil.

Now, if I was concerned about the condition of an engine (like I was purchasing an aircraft, or an investment vehicle) I would consider having the oil tested to see if there are any impending problems. But a simple, DIY way to see if your motor is "making metal" is to cut open the old filter and inspect the filter element.

If you are concerned about "saving the planet", then relax. It is silly to think that the used motor oil you turn in isn't recycled one way or another. And you can always buy recycled motor oil. I do believe some NASCAR teams are using it in their engines.

I like that idea too, Peter.

And I am not trying to just be argumentative. I just think the consumers' money is better spent simply changing their oil. Fresh oil is always better than old oil.

I saw that company also does aircraft oil analysis. That's great. But no matter how well that oil does in analysis, it is still required by regulation to be changed at every 50 hours of engine run time. Why? Because fresh oil is always better than old oil.

Now, if I was concerned about the condition of an engine (like I was purchasing an aircraft, or an investment vehicle) I would consider having the oil tested to see if there are any impending problems. But a simple, DIY way to see if your motor is "making metal" is to cut open the old filter and inspect the filter element.

If you are concerned about "saving the planet", then relax. It is silly to think that the used motor oil you turn in isn't recycled one way or another. And you can always buy recycled motor oil. I do believe some NASCAR teams are using it in their engines.

The same argument can be had with fuel type, but you don't see drivers solely filling up with 91+.LOL

........If you are concerned about "saving the planet", then relax. It is silly to think that the used motor oil you turn in isn't recycled one way or another. And you can always buy recycled motor oil. I do believe some NASCAR teams are using it in their engines.
Not concerned about that at all Chris. I think that whole "saving the planet" issue is over blown, IMO. The oil gets changed in my vehicle every 6 months and with the limited driving I do that amounts to about every 1500 miles. The IOLM is usually at around 55% by then. I've had the vehicle 26 months and just coming up to 6900 miles. ;)

Peter

This is the first time in all my life (48 years) that i have ever heard of a dealership refusing to do an oil change, because the mileage was too low, even though the message center stated to "Change oil soon" I honestly think the mechanic who did this was just being lazy. Most(heck, all) dealers would gladly change oil on the same vehicle on a daily basis, if it meant more money for them.

I go to the Jiffy Lube by my house every 5-6k miles and don't worry about a thing. I know Jiffy Lube has caught a bad rep for some of their crappy stations, but the one by my house is clean and thorough. I just tell them "no" to everything else they offer and just have them change the oil with their synthetic blend.

Bought the truck in February and just rolled over 8k miles. Got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube at 5k and I plan to do it again at 10k.

My dad's GMC Yukon has 280,000 miles on it, has never had any issues, and still runs great. Goes to Jiffy Lube every 6k miles.

Don't over complicate Oil changes more than you have to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its indeed very cheap for a peace of mind :) so i did it, of course outside dealer
thanks for all the inputs and advise.... happy motoring

Back