Deerfield Precision Braided SS Brake Lines | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deerfield Precision Braided SS Brake Lines

I installed a set of the WRXtra SS brake lines on my 96 Sport this weekend.
http://www.deerfieldprecision.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=89
Install went amazingly smooth. Not one fitment issue. The connectors and brackets all lined up and fit like OEM. I didn't use their copper banjo bolt washers though. They seemed too thin and easy to tear up. I just re-used the original Ford washers. Probably should have bought a new set of Ford washers.
On initial pedal movement, brakes seem to respond more quickly than before. I don't feel any significant increase in braking force. Just more responsiveness to pedal application. Overall I'm happy with this brake line kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed something the other day. I used to get pulsing in my pedal when I was almost all the way stopped (like a warped rotor or something?). It doesn't do that anymore. Really liking the upgrade.

Any added feedback after more driving? I'm ready to pull the trigger if you guys say they are a worthwhile upgrade. TIA

I think they are great. Was kind of expensive to have installed, but I would do it again. Might be a better deal if you can install yourself.

Got my lines installed today. Picked it up from the mechanic. All they said was the old ones were "fun" to get off.
Thanks for the comments and feedback. Somehow, I'm not seeing the level of difficulty your mechanic describes.
Must have been seized from corrosion, right? My fittings appear clean, spraying penetrant over night can only help.

Yeah, you should see the underside of my truck. It's pretty rusty under there. I'm not surprised at all. It took forever for me to just change shocks!

Finally got the time to install the fronts. Very easy to install them, great fit. Rear rotors are stuck on the ebrake shoes, so I may have to cut them off today.

Off Subject . . .

This is how I got my stuck rear rotor off after spending a week with PB Blaster, big & bigger hammers and multiple pry bars (Yes, I had backed off the parking brake shoes all the way!):

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-gear-puller-66657.html

I think Santa will have to buy some new brake lines for my Mounty.

Dan

Did anyone establich if these fir the later year (06-10) Explorers?

Time to do some front end work including brakes so I'm gonna get these.

I'm currently sitting at stock height. I'm planning on raising up a little to fit some bigger tires within the year. These brake lines are available for a 2" lift for only $2 more.

My question is: Will I have any problems with the extra length of hose until I do the lift?

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

Should be no problem with the extra length as long as they are not kinked or snagging on anything.
If there's an issue with light rubbing, 1/2" O.D. spiral wrap or split loom tie wrapped in place works well.

I just installed the lines last week, fit was perfect on them. I got mine with a four inch lift option since I was putting on lift spindles and didn't want to bend my hard line.
I didn't use the copper washers that were supplied either, they looked way to thin.
As for performance wise they feel good, faster pedal response. But I switched my rotors to ranger ones and new pads so i caught really speak on their stopping since I have small rotors now. But the cost for me was worth it

Bump for pics. Testing this weekend. Will post results and opinions here.

Oops! Forgot to update this post.

Won't claim shorter braking distance, but like most a much firmer and positive pedal feel. May be my imagination but the brake pedal also feels higher and the travel shorter. Know it wasn't old fluid or pads because I recently did a flush using the same Wagner TQ front and rear pads. Keep in mind these are installed on a lowered ST with stock rims and Michelin street tires. Oversize wheels will unlikely give the same result. Only regret is not doing this earlier when I started this thread in 2013.

Winner IMO.

I installed these last Summer on all four corners including new calipers (with Speed Bleeder screws), rotors and pads. My '99 5.0 AWD Mounty is the best braking vehicle I have ever driven! I do a LOT of mountain driving, nice firm feeling from the first movement of the brake pedal.

I know it wasn't just the brake lines that improved my braking but the price difference was only about double the price of "normal" ones so I thought it was a no brainer to include them in my brake job.

It's good to hear that those SS lines are working out.

I will need to get two more sets for my rears, but both trucks will get different calipers and rotors first. I have the 03-06 Crown Vic pieces to try on my mail truck, hopefully those will retrofit, if the housing bracket will bolt on. They have vented rotors and are a hair larger diameter, I've had them for ages so that's where I'll stick them.

It's good to hear that those SS lines are working out.

I will need to get two more sets for my rears, but both trucks will get different calipers and rotors first. I have the 03-06 Crown Vic pieces to try on my mail truck, hopefully those will be easy to retrofit. They have vented rotors and are a hair larger diameter, I've had them for ages so that's where I'll stick them.

You've piqued my interest!!!

Please tell me your "mail truck" is one of the 2nd Gens you have listed in your signature. I'd really like to do an upgrade to the rear brakes using Ford parts.

You've piqued my interest!!!

Please tell me your "mail truck" is one of the 2nd Gens you have listed in your signature. I'd really like to do an upgrade to the rear brakes using Ford parts.

Yes, the 99/93 is my mail truck, it's been un-driven since the V6 trans died about four years ago. All I've done to the brakes on that is swapping Sport Trac(and 01-03 Sport) spindles onto it for the bigger front rotor, and buy cryo-treated rotors.

I do not know if the other Ford rear brakes will be an easy swap, but if the spacing of the rotor to the axle matches, and the brackets can be fitted to the housing, the rest will be the parking brake cables, and the brake lines. The effective brake forces are based on brake pressure(master cylinder), caliper piston areas, and the rotor sizes. Most people think of those backwards in importance. The 2nd gen Explorers use small rotors, big caliper areas, and decent fluid pressure. Mustangs have big rotors, small caliper areas, and decent fluid pressure(plus there are 3+ choices of MC). We have the Ranger MC to possibly use, I'm hoping it reduces pressure just enough to allow my next caliper change(massive pistons(5.44sqin)) to work without locking up the tires too easily.

But the Crown Vic brakes are common, hopefully the parts match close enough to make it no big trouble to retrofit. Later cars might be even better or worse, I got the 03-06 parts long ago, when they were still kind of rare in junk yards. Now they are common to find.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I ordered some brake lines from Deer Precision online but can't get a hold of them. Are they still in business?

Yes I just ordered some a few weeks ago along with a pressure gauge. Guy contacted me a week later saying one of the fittings is back ordered and would take an extra week if I wanted to wait. He refunded the pressure gauge for me free of charge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whew, glad to hear it. I have emailed and called over there but haven't heard anything. I was worried they took my money and ran.

Back