Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC

IBrokeDadsCar

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 AWD V8 Limited
Hi guys. I have an 08 Limited with Dual Climate Control and rear AC controls, as well. Last weekend I was driving around with the gf on a very hot day with the AC cranked, and we heard a weird sound from the passenger side of the dash like something was losing power, I can't really explain it. A short while later we realized her side was blowing really hot air, while mine was ice cold. When I manually lowered the temp on her side down to 60 degrees, the hot air wasn't as hot, so it did lower a bit. Turning off the dual feature, the problem still persisted. I decided to turn off the AC and turn it back on in a few minutes, and that cleared the problem up.

A few days ago it was just me in the car and I noticed the same thing happening but no noise to precede it, and it was going back and forth from blowing hot air to cooled air, on its own. Eventually it went to working as intended and blew cold air on both sides. Given this information, is there a way I could pull trouble codes to see the failing part? This seems a little different than the blend door problems I've heard of, where people weren't getting hot air out of their vents. Whatever part it is, it isn't completely broken because it keeps going in and out. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is most likely the HVAC blend door for that side. With the way that they are made it is possible that the drive gear is completely gone on the actuator. See here for the part and pricing. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...r&initSearch=1&keyword=hvac blend door#Search

Thanks for the reply. Assuming I ordered the correct part, do we know how hard it is to get to the passenger side door? Know of a way to pull trouble codes to see if that truly is the culprit before I try to fix it?

Also for anyone reading, I drove the car today and had the same issue, and I kept changing the temp from low to high and each time, I heard a squeaking noise behind the dash as the temperature passed from being set between cold and hot. Also, each time, the output from the passenger vent was the opposite of what I had set in the climate controls. Just in case that helps solidify any opinions, I thought I'd mention it.

It is not that difficult, everything that you need to work on is under the dash on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. The diagrams in the link above show you how everything goes together and there are some posts around here with pictures outlining the general procedures for replacement of the actuators/doors. Based on what you are saying with the squeak and temperature being opposite of what is programmed, I am confident that it is the passenger side HVAC blend door (which happens to be the same part for both sides on a dual zone auto temp controlled vehicle YH-1759). If you don't feel comfortable doing it ask a shop what they would charge to do it for you.

It is not that difficult, everything that you need to work on is under the dash on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. The diagrams in the link above show you how everything goes together and there are some posts around here with pictures outlining the general procedures for replacement of the actuators/doors. Based on what you are saying with the squeak and temperature being opposite of what is programmed, I am confident that it is the passenger side HVAC blend door (which happens to be the same part for both sides on a dual zone auto temp controlled vehicle YH-1759). If you don't feel comfortable doing it ask a shop what they would charge to do it for you.

As long as I have the right part and a general idea, I'm almost positive I can do it. If that's the right part # I'll do ahead and order it and give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

To be absolutely sure that it is the right one use the fordparts.com website and put in the vehicle vin and then search "hvac blend door". That should eliminate all parts that are not compatible with the vehicle and hopefully that part still shows up.

LOL, it still shows 12 different options, but 1759 is still in there. I may just take it apart and listen up close for the part that's making the noise and then identify it from the diagram.

If it is the passenger side one, I believe that it is the one on the back side of the assembly.

Oddly enough, on my 2003 explorer when I was low on AC refrigerant, one side came out warm, and the other cold. Never did figure it out but after a charge I was AOK.

Oddly enough, on my 2003 explorer when I was low on AC refrigerant, one side came out warm, and the other cold. Never did figure it out but after a charge I was AOK.

I did read about this, but I'm led to believe that isn't the case because of that dying noise behind the dash, as well as the fact one second it'll blow hot, and the next it's ice cold. If it were low on refrigerant, I doubt it'd fluctuate so widely. Just my thoughts though. If I find that to be the case, I'll make sure to follow up on this post.

I did read about this, but I'm led to believe that isn't the case because of that dying noise behind the dash, as well as the fact one second it'll blow hot, and the next it's ice cold. If it were low on refrigerant, I doubt it'd fluctuate so widely. Just my thoughts though. If I find that to be the case, I'll make sure to follow up on this post.

Just charged my 2008... It sat for over a year largely and the ac line had several
Bubbles that did that to me as well. Cold one minute and room temp the next. Again probably not your issue as you said but something to ponder!

So quick update, I just went downstairs to work on the vehicle and check things out. Taking off both side-access panels to expose both blend door actuators, I noticed that by cycling through very cold to very hot and back to very cold, both actuators seemed to be turning their gears just fine. Also, I could not re-create the issue; it was blowing at the temperature it was set. However, I did notice that on the very hot setting, my passenger side was not blowing air as hard as the driver side, through the front vents. On floor vents and defrost, it blew just as hard. Also, when cycling to the very hot setting and with my head underneath the glove box area, I heard the groaning sound again which was obviously something moving, but it wasn't coming from the actuator, it was coming from much deeper into the footwell, but I couldn't put my finger on where it was coming from. I may need to wait and see until I have this problem again and get my head down there, but I wonder if any of these observances give us any new clues?

You've got me stumped unless something like a leaf is caught in there but admittedly I'm far from an ac/heat expert

Just wanted to give a quick update to any thread searchers. Ford has said that the failure is actually the HVAC Evaporator Assembly, which has blend doors on the housing itself. Unfortunately this part is about 10 hours into the dash, so replacement costs a total of 1700$ where I live. I have been putting off the repair but will likely be doing it before the summer rolls in.

Hogwash, message me privately if you can. Neil

Hi..I have the same exact problem with my 07 limited Explorer. Any suggestions?

Hi..I have the same exact problem with my 07 limited Explorer. Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't take it to Jerry's Ford in Annandale, VA. They're crooks who can't diagnose problems.

I recharged my AC, replaced the evaporator assembly at the advice of the dealer, and still had the problem. Replaced the driver's side blend door since they said that was also broke, all with the same problems. Eventually moved away and had another Ford dealer tell me it was the passenger side door all along. They replaced it and now I'm fine. I wasted $2000+ on Jerry's Ford and they would not refund it.

Yeah, don't take it to Jerry's Ford in Annandale, VA. They're crooks who can't diagnose problems.

I recharged my AC, replaced the evaporator assembly at the advice of the dealer, and still had the problem. Replaced the driver's side blend door since they said that was also broke, all with the same problems. Eventually moved away and had another Ford dealer tell me it was the passenger side door all along. They replaced it and now I'm fine. I wasted $2000+ on Jerry's Ford and they would not refund

Thank you for the information and I will start with the passenger side. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you went through

My wifes 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with the auto temp and dual climate control recently had the pass side blowing out hot air even with the temp manually dropped down to coldest temp possible. The driver side has complete control with the temp but not matter what temp you set the pass side at (dual or both) it still blows out hot air. Is there some kind of valve that would control this? Its almost like the a/c or cold air intake from outside air is not being allowed through the pass side of the car.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wifes 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with the auto temp and dual climate control recently had the pass side blowing out hot air even with the temp manually dropped down to coldest temp possible. The driver side has complete control with the temp but not matter what temp you set the pass side at (dual or both) it still blows out hot air. Is there some kind of valve that would control this? Its almost like the a/c or cold air intake from outside air is not being allowed through the pass side of the car.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Your issue is probably the passenger side blend door unit, which is what mine was, exhibiting the same symptoms.

Back