brand new special order 2016 xlt comes with dark paint touch up on hood +++++ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brand new special order 2016 xlt comes with dark paint touch up on hood +++++

moegielaka

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 ford explorer xlt aw
So I got my 2016 xlt last friday. Hot off the presses. Get it home and notice a dark line in the paint on the hood. Like it was touched up with a tube from Canadian Tire. Also noticed the second day the leather stitching on the two front seats had pulled away and tore a bit of the leather. I complain to the dealer and I bring it in for them to see. They take pics and as they are doing that I notice a glob of junk underneath the paint on the quarter panel on the drivers side. After looking at the car the warranty guy tells me they are probably going to have to paint my whole hood over and the quarter panel. He said they would repair or replace my seats. Is this really acceptable for a car that was special ordered? They ran out of 2016 good hoods and quarter panels they were left with seconds and had to compromise? Not sure if this happens a lot or not but I guess Im looking for answers. What are my rights as a customer?
I told them I wanted a new car and he just keeps telling me they will fix my car and make everything right. I dont think thats satisfactory since I ordered this car to what I wanted and I expected it to be in perfect condition. Super dissapointed.
And then I noticed a big chunk of paint out of the roofline by the drivers door. It just keeps getting better.
I went for the protection package to get the leather warranty and paint wax and end up with this.
Can anybody tell me if this is common with special orders? Its like I picked up a car off a used lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum moegielaka. :wave:
Sorry to read about your very unpleasant experience with your new Explorer. This again points out the importance of going over any new vehicle very, very, carefully before accepting it and signing the final paperwork. You are not alone in finding your self in this situation. There have been a few others as well. This is not a common occurrence with 'Special Orders'. Actually those orders are not treated any differently than any other orders that the factory rolls out. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that yours was likely one of the last 2016 models to come off the line. I certainly hope not. Since you have already accepted the vehicle I'm not sure what your legal rights are here in Canada. Different provinces may have different laws as well.

Peter

I figured since I ordered it and it wasnt sitting on a lot somewhere that it had a better chance of being perfect. Guess I was wrong.

how many miles were on it when you got in it. I bet it was more than 20

It's possible depending on where you are that the damange is from shipping. usually cars are protective wrapped but that won't stop a wonton rock of doing some serious damange.

the seat bit is what worries me the most - it means either A - someone did something to the seat, or it passed QC that way

the paint I could see being a case where the dealer prep team didn't want to be blamed - so they got a touch up pen from the parts counter and did something as opposed to talking to the actual paint and body people. If that dealer even has any.

at this point I still lay the blame more on the dealer.

I bought my '16 new off the lot in March , but took delivery on a rainy day. Salesman / sales manager said I had a week to check it out and report any needs. It had a paint flaw on the rear bumper that had been touched up with darker paint (ingot silver is tough to match), but going to the dealer is a bit of a drive, so I put off going back or reporting the problem. This week I had trouble with the cruise control and had to go back, and while I was there I asked about the paint flaw. The service adviser sent a picture off to Ford and they said they'e fix it, and described what they would do (I was satisfied with the "fix"). Since it had been about three months since the purchase they had no obligation to repair, but handled the problem in a nice way. They also gave me a rental for the time my vehicle would be in the shop (2-3 days or more depending on the cruise control fix). Maybe were so nice because it is a Platinum? Very nice dealership.

I'm new around here, but we had a similar experience with our 2010 Escape. I noticed you said you got the protection package, was this done at the dealership? In our case, it was the company who did the protection work at the dealership (under their contract) who caused the damage, not the factory or shipping. It was made right but we were upset for a while about it.

Why in the world would anyone pay for a "protection package"?

Why in the world would anyone pay for a "protection package"?
The same folks who buys electronic anti-rust, paint protection (not even remotely close to opti-coat, or cquartz), lock nuts and everything else the dealership tacts on.

The same folks who buys electronic anti-rust, paint protection (not even remotely close to opti-coat, or cquartz), lock nuts and everything else the dealership tacts on.

What's that old saying by PT Barnum? "There's a sucker born every minute"

Peterk9 is exactly right. Special order vehicles go through the same transport & delivery system all the others do, and they're treated no better/worse. It's just bad luck that yours suffered some damage along the way & that the repairs weren't up to snuff. Hopefully your dealer does right by you and repairs to like-new condition.

Peterk9 is exactly right. Special order vehicles go through the same transport & delivery system all the others do, and they're treated no better/worse. It's just bad luck that yours suffered some damage along the way & that the repairs weren't up to snuff. Hopefully your dealer does right by you and repairs to like-new condition.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Thanks. Just bought my 2013 used a couple of weeks ago & came on w/a wheel question. I saw this thread and have a lot of experience w/custom ordering cars (5 so far). I sympathize with the OP because there really is nothing "special" about it to anyone but the buyer.

Back