Adding Back Up Camera - It can be done on the OEM screen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Back Up Camera - It can be done on the OEM screen

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
I know some MFT units and some that have the basic 4.2" display didn't come with back up cameras. I can enable the back up camera feature on the MFT system (you have to add a camera). I need to do this in person or you have to send me your APIM.

On the basic 4.2" screen I modify the vehicle programming which your dealer can load. I tested this on a 2014 PI Utility. It comes up with that error message as it isn't seeing a video input. Shows that it can be done though.

I am working on sourcing the parts needed to build interface cables that plug directly into the OEM connector for the APIM (MFT units) or the FCDIM (4.2" MyFord). You can install the OEM camera or use an aftermarket camera. This will give you basic back up camera functionality.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 809

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 2016 PI Utility and Sedan Ford is offering the customer the option of RVC on either the 2" rear view mirror or the 4" radio screen.

Just want to confirm this is done through IDS tool programming correct?

Could be switched back and forth if needed?

If you are asking about the 2016 specifically I can't answer that. The rear view mirror has no programming associated with it so that is probably just a static system, ie not much for programming.

The FCDIM has to be programmed for the camera to display. The FCDIM programming is altered with a file I provide for use with IDS.

I need the file to add the camera..Also some instructions

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it always shows in the margin. It may not make a difference in this case but it could in addressing other concerns you may have in later posts. Thanks.

Peter

Does anyone sell an interface cable that would mate the non camera connectors in the tailgate to an oem camera replacement molding with oem camra? I can't find the connectors to make my own. I think its a ford 8 way male to 6 pin female with a bnc video cable

Back