How to: - 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So shortly after I picked up my Interceptor, I installed the VSS module and then had the remote start activated at the dealer. The remote start works as it should as does the keyless entry. This afternoon when I went to go try the security system, it didn't work. I went through the learning process again and that didn't help. Is there a way to reset the module without losing the remote start and keyless entry?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may need to enable the Perimeter Alarm feature with IDS.

You may need to enable the Perimeter Alarm feature with IDS.

I second that. Perhaps the dealer missed that part when activating the system. Its clearly in the instructions.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've only glanced over things here and there the past week and there were a few things that were unclear. I'd really like to add the remote access / cellular start feature to my 2016 Platinum. So I understand I need to purchase the Remote Access Kit and VSS both mentioned in the original post here. I noticed on Ford parts that while the remote access kit lists as being compatible with the 2016 Explorer, the VSS Kit doesn't. Is it recommended that I have these installed by the dealer? I have heard conflicting reports that not only does the system need to be dealer activated, but that there is a registration that the dealer needs to complete for you to activate the cellular (some people seem to indicate they were able to do this on their own. I'm quite capable of a basic plug and play install, but if there is more than just IDS activation involved I figured I might just want to let them do it all. Lastly, I saw that the system is covered by factory warranty only if added during purchase of the vehicle. What's he warranty if it's added after the fact? Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, but I've only glanced over things here and there the past week and there were a few things that were unclear. I'd really like to add the remote access / cellular start feature to my 2016 Platinum. So I understand I need to purchase the Remote Access Kit and VSS both mentioned in the original post here. I noticed on Ford parts that while the remote access kit lists as being compatible with the 2016 Explorer, the VSS Kit doesn't. Is it recommended that I have these installed by the dealer? I have heard conflicting reports that not only does the system need to be dealer activated, but that there is a registration that the dealer needs to complete for you to activate the cellular (some people seem to indicate they were able to do this on their own. I'm quite capable of a basic plug and play install, but if there is more than just IDS activation involved I figured I might just want to let them do it all. Lastly, I saw that the system is covered by factory warranty only if added during purchase of the vehicle. What's he warranty if it's added after the fact? Thanks!

I added a little bit to the bottom of the original post. You would be best to speak to a dealer about warranty concerns.

I added a little bit to the bottom of the original post. You would be best to speak to a dealer about warranty concerns.

Thanks for the extra info. To be honest, I had no idea that the Platinum came standard with the perimeter alarm feature until I checked my window sticker tonight. There is so little info on it I'm not even sure what it really does. I had seen the steps for testing the previous VSS by hitting the steering wheel and how it reacts to softer and harder hits with horn honking, I'm assuming the perimeter alarm functions similarly, but don't really have the desire to test it. I'm glad that I'll only need to install the remote access kit and have them activate it, so will most likely do that soon.

Thanks for the extra info. To be honest, I had no idea that the Platinum came standard with the perimeter alarm feature until I checked my window sticker tonight. There is so little info on it I'm not even sure what it really does. I had seen the steps for testing the previous VSS by hitting the steering wheel and how it reacts to softer and harder hits with horn honking, I'm assuming the perimeter alarm functions similarly, but don't really have the desire to test it. I'm glad that I'll only need to install the remote access kit and have them activate it, so will most likely do that soon.

You still install the VSS.

Can this be installed into a 14' PIU plug and play type kit?

Check the thread specific to 11-15 Explorer remote start facts.

Will update this as more information becomes available.

The 2016 Explorer not only has styling changes but the entire electrical system of the vehicle was changed from the standard used in the 2011-2015.

If your 2016 Explorer did NOT come with remote start from the factory, then hardware kits must be installed. They are plug and play which means no splicing of wiring.

You will have three choices:

1000' Long Range One Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB - Kit with Antenna and Two FOBs: EL3Z-19G364-B
1000' Long Range Two Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB
Cell Phone Kit known as "Remote Access" - RMU Only: DL3Z-19A390-B
Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) + Wiring Harness (DG1Z-14B504-A) is required for Base Model Explorers.

All three off these also require the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module which includes a shock sensor that can be disabled if you wish.
VSS Kit: FT4Z-19A361-A

Installation of a kit should take roughly an hour. This includes the IDS (dealer software) programming that must be done.

IF YOU HAVE A BASE MODEL YOU MAY NEED TO INSTALL THE HOOD SWITCH ALONG WITH THE HOOD SWITCH WIRING. You will need to check to see if these are present in the vehicle. A Police Interceptor Utility ordered without the perimeter alarm will have the hood switch wiring but not the hood switch.

People are going to ask why can't I have remote start enabled and get a new FOB with the remote start button on it like the 2011-2015 models. Well the reason is how Ford has setup the remote start in the 2016 Explorer. Without remote start the FOBs work on 315mhz (North America) and with remote start the FOBs operate on 902mhz.

I will update this with part numbers as I get them.

DEALER PROGRAMMING IS REQUIRED TO ENABLE REMOTE START.

Please note the above information is for ADDING remote start to your base or XLT Explorer.

If you have a 16 Explorer that already has existing remote start and you want to add a long range or cellular kit you can do that. As long as you have the perimeter alarm the only reason to contact a dealer would be to activate the cellular kit after you have it installed. They can do this without having possession of the vehicle. The only reason the dealer would have to have physical possession of the vehicle is to enable the remote start and perimeter alarm functions which if already equipped don't need to be done over. The kits do not come with installation instructions so if you purchase a kit on line ask for the instructions from the seller.

Can anyone tell me where the VSS module is supposed to go? I've seen F-150 install video's but have not been able to find any on the 2016 explorer.

It goes where ever the installer decides to put it. There is no official mounting location. It just has to be within reach of the Gateway Module where it plugs into. It should be mounted on a solid surface and mounted in a secure fashion as this has a shock sensor in it.

Let me phrase this better, the module kit comes with a interconnect harness that has to get plugged into the factory harness - my question is where is that connection ( Gateway module )
Also i notice that the new harness has two pigtailed wires - one white and the other white with red - where do these end up?

Did you not get instructions with it? The gateway module is what the OBD connector is on. Plug is on the back side. Those connections don't go to anything. Just tape them off.

Neither part came with any installation manual or sheet and both boxes were factory sealed. They do refer the dealer to FMC dealer for installation assistance but it has been decades since i had access to that.

Neither part came with any installation manual or sheet and both boxes were factory sealed. They do refer the dealer to FMC dealer for installation assistance but it has been decades since i had access to that.

I just got the 2016/17 Installation instructions today from my contacts at Ford.....send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Install done - 2016 xlt. DIsconnect battery, remove lower left dash panel which has 2 screws on the bottom and 3 clips on the bottom and 2 on top. Once the screws are out, gently pry with a screwdriver and it pops right out. Remove left dash side panel cover - all clips that pop out easy. Remove headlamp switch panel - all clips that pop out fairly easy with a good pull. Two clips on bottom, 2 center and 2 top. Remove Gateway module - 2 screws under the ip are real easy to see and access.
Disconnect the wire to the gateway module and install the jumper.
Run the antenna wire - it tucks up under the headliner real easy and you can also insert it along the edge of the A-pillar trim and down into the left side of the dash. The ends are different so make sure to put the correct end top and bottom. The wire plug into the antenna and the antenna has self-stick tape for the ( Clean Dry) windshield. The other end plugs into the vss module as does the other end of the jumper from the gateway module. I used the supplied plastic ties to put the VSS Module to the right of the headlamp module on a fairly accessible support. If i want to change the set screw for the alarm, i can access it by pulling out the headlamp panel. Reconnect battery.

All in all it is fairly easy and this gave me the best access. Younger more spry people can probably do it easier.

Good Luck

John

* there were two pigtails of wire on the new jumper that go no where. I taped them off as suggested by Jason. There is also a jumper in the kit to bypass the security system if you are so inclined.

I just got the 2016/17 Installation instructions today from my contacts at Ford.....send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.
Can I get a copy of those instructions.

Thanks. The biggest hidden pricing difference is the incentives that are available for the 2016, but won't be on the 2017. I took the 0% financing, which was a net $500 savings over taking the money incentives and financing through a bank. I received a $500 loyalty cash coupon in the mail, and my dealer was able to make it $750 by finding a differen, better coupon :):thumbsup:

But back to Remote Start - as I was reading the User Manual (yes, some of us do that) I saw where the system goes into Power Saving Mode after about 3 days. It must shut down the cellular connection so it doesn't totally drain the battery.

There is a Wake Up signal mentioned, and they say it could take up to 12 hours to be effective. My guess is the system wakes up periodically, searches for a message, and if it hears one, wakes back up for 3 days.

That is good to know, as one reason I bought Remote Start was to be able to start the car in the airport parking lot when my plane lands when coming back from a trip. So now I know to send a door lock code the day before to make sure the system is awake, so I'll be able to have a warm/cool car when I get back to the satellite lot. :D
HAHA, My goodness, how long does it take for your car to cool down? Or, maybe more pertinent, it must not take you long to get to your car upon landing. I live in Phoenix so, after baking in the 115+ summer sun for days on end in a barren airport parking lot, it would probably take at least 15 minutes for a larger car to cool - but, depending on what gate one arrives at and what lot one is parked at, is there luggage, etc, I'd still say the minimum time from landing to entering a car would be 30-45 minutes! But the airport is a brilliant example of where this device would be of great value and service. I'm planning on having one put in my car in the next month or so. And this will be my first summer with a vehicle with cooled seats so Arizona summers, be damned after this year!!

Will update this as more information becomes available.

The 2016 Explorer not only has styling changes but the entire electrical system of the vehicle was changed from the standard used in the 2011-2015.

If your 2016 Explorer did NOT come with remote start from the factory, then hardware kits must be installed. They are plug and play which means no splicing of wiring.

You will have three choices:

1000' Long Range One Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB - Kit with Antenna and Two FOBs: EL3Z-19G364-B
1000' Long Range Two Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB
Cell Phone Kit known as "Remote Access" - RMU Only: DL3Z-19A390-B
Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) + Wiring Harness (DG1Z-14B504-A) is required for Base Model Explorers.

All three off these also require the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module which includes a shock sensor that can be disabled if you wish.
VSS Kit: FT4Z-19A361-A

Installation of a kit should take roughly an hour. This includes the IDS (dealer software) programming that must be done.

IF YOU HAVE A BASE MODEL YOU MAY NEED TO INSTALL THE HOOD SWITCH ALONG WITH THE HOOD SWITCH WIRING. You will need to check to see if these are present in the vehicle. A Police Interceptor Utility ordered without the perimeter alarm will have the hood switch wiring but not the hood switch.

People are going to ask why can't I have remote start enabled and get a new FOB with the remote start button on it like the 2011-2015 models. Well the reason is how Ford has setup the remote start in the 2016 Explorer. Without remote start the FOBs work on 315mhz (North America) and with remote start the FOBs operate on 902mhz.

I will update this with part numbers as I get them.

DEALER PROGRAMMING IS REQUIRED TO ENABLE REMOTE START.

Please note the above information is for ADDING remote start to your base or XLT Explorer.

If you have a 16 Explorer that already has existing remote start and you want to add a long range or cellular kit you can do that. As long as you have the perimeter alarm the only reason to contact a dealer would be to activate the cellular kit after you have it installed. They can do this without having possession of the vehicle. The only reason the dealer would have to have physical possession of the vehicle is to enable the remote start and perimeter alarm functions which if already equipped don't need to be done over. The kits do not come with installation instructions so if you purchase a kit on line ask for the instructions from the seller.
Jason, this is going to sound REALLY stupid, but I want to make sure I get the stuff I need and not more. I have a '16 Limited, it already has push button AND remote start, I have the FOB that starts the car, opens the hatch, and has the stupid panic alarm (could they have made it bigger?).

I bought my car 9 months old and it came from a rental fleet - so I've been unable to find a "window sticker" list with options (which is understandable, I'm sure rental companies just order 200 of this exact same thing and 200 of that - though oddly, the dealer had 2 rentals that were near identical but just teeny differences - both Limiteds. I found that odd - but I digress).

Honestly, I have no idea what type of security system it has, if any at all. Can't say I've ever heard the alarm go off (except the panic since they put that button in the WORST spots). All my previous Fords have had a bright blue blinky light, clearly visible at night, indicating the system is armed - this does not, and I see that light is an option to purchase (which I would like).

What I want is the Perimeter Alarm, the Blue flashing light, and the Cell Phone Remote Access. I don't want the bi-directional thing, I don't want another FOB (I assume the existing FOB is still usable?), and since I have a Limited, I would assume the VSS, hood switch, and wiring harness are already installed - or is that hoping too much?

I have installed car alarms before, one eons ago on an '89 Nissan (an advanced alarm for the time) and I installed a Kenwood GPS Nav System with Bluetooth, remote start, video, and alarm system on an '08 Expedition Eddie Bauer in place of the 6-disc CD player (that thing was SWEET!) so I'm usually capable. I'm just too stupid to know if I have an existing Perimeter Alarm or what.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my car 9 months old and it came from a rental fleet - so I've been unable to find a "window sticker" list with options (which is understandable, I'm sure rental companies just order 200 of this exact same thing and 200 of that - though oddly, the dealer had 2 rentals that were near identical but just teeny differences - both Limiteds. I found that odd - but I digress).

Any help/suggestions would be great.
To find every litte feature your car has just go to this site and plug in your VIN.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=10F353148DA07DB5481507D7D648A3EA.fcvas507

Peter

Back