2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Im curious as well. I dont have extended coverage..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 explorer has 13,500+ miles. Just had this issue with the throttle body occur yesterday x 2. Today i called dealer on and off all day.. was told part on back order for up to 6 wks.. & no rental/loaner cars not even thru enterprise..all out on loan for mostly same reason... then this evening they called still no rental available... but located the throttle body part and its post to be fixed in the am.. & of course they want me to bring/drive it the dealer 30 miles away.. i hope this is the updated Throttle body and not the defected one. Also hope this fixes this issue... i also noted the cooling fan sounded funny.. i will have to mention that too.

My 2016 explorer has 13,500+ miles. Just had this issue with the throttle body occur yesterday x 2. Today i called dealer on and off all day.. was told part on back order for up to 6 wks.. & no rental/loaner cars not even thru enterprise..all out on loan for mostly same reason... then this evening they called still no rental available... but located the throttle body part and its post to be fixed in the am.. & of course they want me to bring/drive it the dealer 30 miles away.. i hope this is the updated Throttle body and not the defected one. Also hope this fixes this issue... i also noted the cooling fan sounded funny.. i will have to mention that too.

X2?
Did you get a CEL?

Is the dealership just taking your word for it, or there's an error code stored on the ECU that they can pull?

i hope this is the updated Throttle body and not the defected one.

Except for rumor by an occasional dealer, there is no official word from Ford and no new part number to suggest there is an updated part.

I am beginning to think that it is just a matter of say of each box of 100 ETBs about 2 are bad... Ford doesn't want to recall them because 98 of the parts are good... so when you get a replacement part (from the same bin) it is still a 2% chance of a bad part. So each repair reduces the odds of getting a bad part...

Say 250,000 vehicles = 2% bad... 5000 vehicles
5000 vehicles get repaired but again 2% of repairs are bad = 100 will have second failure...
100 vehicles who need second repair, again 2% of repairs are bad = 2 vehicles have 3 failures.

It's a game of numbers... if they replaced all 250000 vehicles ETBs under a recall, they would still have 5000 bad vehicles but they would shuffle who gets the bad parts... They would replace good parts for bad in a number of vehicles.

I understand this may be the best way to shake out only the bad parts but I don't like that they shake out the problems at our peril.

Post 45 seems to indicated it is a different part.

Just got a call from FMC CSM (customer service manager) and they have authorized a larger vehicle (thank you!) and that parts are shipping tomorrow and "aren't the ones failing" (taking that with a grain of salt and hope that's correct) and will follow back up with me on Friday and should have vehicle next week (mid or later) - Crossing fingers!

Even the poster doesn't necessarily believe it...
I asked FMC that even if they couldn't confirm the issue, could they confirm a redesigned part and they won't.

They seem to stand by the vehicle once the problem arises, which is great but they don't want to admit to the problem, or take a proactive approach.

I still don't know why the TB for the 2016 was redesigned. Perhaps the previous ones weren't failing often enough? o_O

Peter

I still don't know why the TB for the 2016 was redesigned. Perhaps the previous ones weren't failing often enough? o_O

Peter

Agree 100%

Looks like they had a problem in the 2010 to 2013 range (about+/-), then they got it fixed.
Then in 2016... they redesign it...

Well you guys have now completely convinced me not to get a 2016. I guess I'm spoiled after 9 years with a Honda Pilot that had it's first actual repair done at well past 100,000 miles. Hopefully the 2017s have an updated part.

Well you guys have now completely convinced me not to get a 2016. I guess I'm spoiled after 9 years with a Honda Pilot that had it's first actual repair done at well past 100,000 miles. Hopefully the 2017s have an updated part.

Congrats on having such good luck with a vehicle.

You may want to check out the Piloteers website...
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/
And then you can see all the problems they have had with their Pilots that you were just lucky not to have...

I still Like my Explorer. I chose it over the 2016 Pilot and I would still choose it.

You can check here to see all the problems they are having with the 2016 Pilot...
Subjects include "why not to buy a third generation Pilot", Full transmission failures, etc....
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/

Every model vehicle has issues and they get a lot of extra attention in these types of forums.

If you are looking for a vehicle that there isn't a forum discussing the issues... you probably won't find it...

Good luck in your search for your next vehicle and just take the forum info in perspective.

So just found this thread I'm also a victim at 10,200 miles. Same story as everyone else luckily I wasn't on a highway pulled out of a driveway hit has to pull in front of car that was coming and gas pedal stopped working no response it just coasted, thankfully I wasn't on a highway. Had truck towed to dealer they had part in stock so atleast it was a quick turn around but seriously it's a matter of time before this becomes fatal for someone.

Any breakdown can be fatal... they have a new part, problem has been found and resolved from a manufacturing standpoint.

Any breakdown can be fatal... they have a new part, problem has been found and resolved from a manufacturing standpoint.

"problem has been found and NOT resolved"
This warrants a recall...no?

^ making a part more reliable / durable isn't a recall issue. A part that causes the vehicle to violate an NHTSA FMVSS is another story.

^ making a part more reliable / durable isn't a recall issue. A part that causes the vehicle to violate an NHTSA FMVSS is another story.

The problem is that there are EX out there that has the "original" TB and there's no evidence that the replacements are any differernt!

"problem has been found and NOT resolved"
This warrants a recall...no?
I don't believe that there have been any posts of a repeat failure once the updated TB was installed. There are a couple of posts about repeat failures but those seem to be due to having the defective part replaced by the OEM (defective) part.
Only 18 complaints filed with NHTSA. If more owners entered a complaint it would give more weight to the issue.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2016/engine/loss_of_power_while_driving.shtml

Peter

The problem is that there are EX out there that has the "original" TB and there's no evidence that the replacements are any differernt!

What are you talking about? Not one person has reported that they have had a repeat and the part # is not the same as the troublesome part that some people have been having failures with.

So unless you can show me that there has been a repeat issue with the NEW part number, I will again repeat, the problem has been found and resolved.

What are you talking about? Not one person has reported that they have had a repeat and the part # is not the same as the troublesome part that some people have been having failures with.

So unless you can show me that there has been a repeat issue with the NEW part number, I will again repeat, the problem has been found and resolved.

This is great news! Only problem is my dealer said there is not a new part and that there is only one part number...
Off the of my head it was something like 9E6--...

If you know the old and new numbers, please share them as I would love to take that to my dealer and have them check which is in my Explorer and proactively deal with this.

Thanks in advance for the info!

While, I haven't read about repeat failures, my statement stands true that the issue is not resolved, becuase there are still EXs out there with the original TB.
If you consider this problem as being "resolved" good on you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is great news! Only problem is my dealer said there is not a new part and that there is only one part number...
Off the of my head it was something like 9E6--...

If you know the old and new numbers, please share them as I would love to take that to my dealer and have them check which is in my Explorer and proactively deal with this.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Part# AT4Z*9E926*B
I also inquired with a local Ford dealership and one further away outside of the city and confirmed it's the same part#.
None are aware of any "new" part and there are some in stock.

Back