• Register Today It's free!

BRAKE LIGHTS...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Shawn Grafe

Reaction score
City, State
Lenexa, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Ok I have a duzy for anyone that can help me with my brake light situation...My brake light will not come on....All three..I know the brake switch is good and i know there is power to it and coming out when the pedal is pushed...And thats where i am at.. I have checked the fuses and all are good.. When i take the two wires that hook into the break light switch and touch them together my lights should come on but they dont..I have checked all of the bulbs and all are in good working order...So I am stuck on what to do..Is there someting i can do...I have to fix it my self cause i need to save money...please help any suggestions.. Could it be the ground? Thanks Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, have you tried the turn signals and hazards just to verify the side bulbs are good at least?

Second, you are testing the switch under the dash on the pedal right? Not the one under the hood on the master cylinder.

20h5wth.png

Yeah i am testing the switch on down at the brake pedal....turn signals work and the hazards work which is what is throwing me a curve ball...its almost like the power wire out from the brake switch is broke somewhere in between the switch and the light....i have tried everything i know of to do and i still cabt hit this curve ball...i may just have to run a new wire from the switch to the light...i dont know...i know that doing that will suck

Yeah i am testing the switch on down at the brake pedal....turn signals work and the hazards work which is what is throwing me a curve ball...its almost like the power wire out from the brake switch is broke somewhere in between the switch and the light....i have tried everything i know of to do and i still cabt hit this curve ball...i may just have to run a new wire from the switch to the light...i dont know...i know that doing that will suck

Well first take a multi-meter and check for power. Check between the Light Green with Red Stripe coming into the brake pedal switch and ground (I usually use the power outlet / cig lighter plug rim as a ground for my meter) to confirm that power is getting from the fuse box to the brake switch.

If there is power then the problem has to lie in the Tan with Black Stripe wire coming out of the brake pedal switch because one it gets split into the Light Green wires they go to separate places as you can see, the L and R brake lights are fed though the multifunction switch while the center brake line is fed directly.

Also, are you able to shift out of park with your foot on the brake and are you NOT able to shift out of park without your foot on the brake? That should tell us a little about what part of the brake switch wiring is not passing current properly.

I'm noticing two different fuse numbers in these schematics. Check both fuse 23 and fuse 25.

Edit: According to the owners manual it is fuse #23 under the dash.

Well first take a multi-meter and check for power. Check between the Light Green with Red Stripe coming into the brake pedal switch and ground (I usually use the power outlet / cig lighter plug rim as a ground for my meter) to confirm that power is getting from the fuse box to the brake switch.

If there is power then the problem has to lie in the Tan with Black Stripe wire coming out of the brake pedal switch because one it gets split into the Light Green wires they go to separate places as you can see, the L and R brake lights are fed though the multifunction switch while the center brake line is fed directly.

Also, are you able to shift out of park with your foot on the brake and are you NOT able to shift out of park without your foot on the brake? That should tell us a little about what part of the brake switch wiring is not passing current properly.

I'm noticing two different fuse numbers in these schematics. Check both fuse 23 and fuse 25.

Edit: According to the owners manual it is fuse #23 under the dash.

Check the wiring on the connector to the master cylinder and the switch in the enging compartment. I have the exact same issue, and they started working again out of the blue after a friend and I were checking the above mentioned wire connection points.

Back