Ford Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost Engine

xplo134

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT 2.0 Ecoboost
Hi guys,

Is there a difference between the 2013 vs 2014 2.0 Ecoboost engines?

I'm just confused as the K&N website is saying that the Cold Air Intake for 2014 2.0 ecoboost won't fit my Ford Explorer 2013 2.0 ecoboost. Tried searching for information online but I can't really see any details if it's the same version of 2.0 turbocharged engine.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I can't say for sure, I don't think Ford would change the engine from 2013 to 2014. I'm guessing that the 2014 may have a different engine compartment configuration that won't allow for the same type of installation. But like I said, it's just a guess. Will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

Peter

Although I can't say for sure, I don't think Ford would change the engine from 2013 to 2014. I'm guessing that the 2014 may have a different engine compartment configuration that won't allow for the same type of installation. But like I said, it's just a guess. Will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

Peter

I appreciate your reply on this Peter! Thanks!

Okay, I have compared the engine bay of 2013 vs 2014 2.0 Ecoboost but can't really see the difference.
I wonder why K&N website says their 2014 cold air intake isn't compatible with the 2013 model.

Only AEM is selling Cold Air Intake for my 2013 2.0 Ecoboost but not really sure if this will be a better option for K&N.

K&N Cold Air Intake for 2014 2.0 Ecoboost:

77-2587KS_Eng.jpg

AEM Cold Air Intake for 2.0 Ecoboost:

AEM-21-756C-Explorer-2015-Ecoboost-3.jpg

I think the AEM installation looks much 'cleaner' and professional. Are they both made of a metal material? If they are then I don't see much of a benefit of them being 'cold air intakes' as they will heat up due to the engine temperature and thus heat the air going through them. From the many posts I've read, the only real advantage of having a CAI is that you will get more sound from them. No mpg or real power gains.

Peter

I think the AEM installation looks much 'cleaner' and professional. Are they both made of a metal material? If they are then I don't see much of a benefit of them being 'cold air intakes' as they will heat up due to the engine temperature and thus heat the air going through them. From the many posts I've read, the only real advantage of having a CAI is that you will get more sound from them. No mpg or real power gains.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! Yes they are made of both metal so I agree with you that both of them will eventually heat up compared to those of MDesignPerformance Carbon Fiber intakes. I just want to improve the sound of my engine and maybe hear the turbo boost a bit more by installing these.

Also, we have some reputable tuners here in the Philippines and would like to see if there will be a significant amount of gains by doing dyno tune with ECU.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! Yes they are made of both metal so I agree with you that both of them will eventually heat up compared to those of MDesignPerformance Carbon Fiber intakes. I just want to improve the sound of my engine and maybe hear the turbo boost a bit more by installing these.

Also, we have some reputable tuners here in the Philippines and would like to see if there will be a significant amount of gains by doing dyno tune with ECU.
I just read a post in another thread that mentioned removing the engine cover would improve the sound. Had not heard that before.

Peter

Back