• Register Today It's free!

15 digit vin number

Tom shaw

Reaction score
City, State
Batesville, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer limited
Asked my dealer for my vin number and he gave me one that is 15 digits. Does anyone know how much time there is between the 15 digit and the full 17 digit number? My explorer was ordered 5 weeks ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Salesman said you get the last two numbers when it's scheduled for production

I ordered mine 5/25 and had the entire vin within a week

Full vin is created within a day or two of Ford pulling the order. Ordered on a Monday, had vin on Wednesday. Your guy is full of crap.

You need to speak with Sales Manager or GM of Dealership. Your sales guy is lying to you, he needs to be fired for incompetence.

I don't really buy the reason's being given for a 15 digit number. What does the salesperson have to gain by giving out just 15 numbers? Where did the numbers come from? Why would he/she not provide the full 17 numbers 'if' he had them? Doesn't make sense.

Peter

You need to speak with Sales Manager or GM of Dealership. Your sales guy is lying to you, he needs to be fired for incompetence.

Quite the over reaction.

So now that you have the full VIN, I'm curious to know what 2 numbers you were missing?

My guess it was the last 2 since the final 6 digits make up the production number.:)

Peter

So now that you have the full VIN, I'm curious to know what 2 numbers you were missing?
Digits 9 & 10. He said he can show that was the number given by Ford. Salesman is really an honest guy I've known for several years.

Digits 9 & 10. He said he can show that was the number given by Ford. Salesman is really an honest guy I've known for several years.
I can understand the 9th (check digit) but not the 10th. The 10th digit indicates the year. Were they afraid it was going to go into 2017?:D

Peter

Back