Buying a 2016 sport, need some help with the price | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2016 sport, need some help with the price

Yiming Yao

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Passat
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, found it's a very active and helpful place.

We want to buy a 2016 sport (preferably with 400A package), but we have difficulties with a reasonable price to negotiate, as we don't have much experiences.

One of the dealers gave us a price of a sport with 401A of $49090.84 (xplan, invoice is $49001.95), the MSRP is $51260. We are in Arizona and the sale tax is 5.6%, so the out door price may add up somewhere $2000 above MSRP with other fees.

So would it be reasonable that I can target at an OTD $1000-2000 below MSRP or even lower? Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, found it's a very active and helpful place.

We want to buy a 2016 sport (preferably with 400A package), but we have difficulties with a reasonable price to negotiate, as we don't have much experiences.

One of the dealers gave us a price of a sport with 401A of $49090.84 (xplan, invoice is $49001.95), the MSRP is $51260. We are in Arizona and the sale tax is 5.6%, so the out door price may add up somewhere $2000 above MSRP with other fees.

So would it be reasonable that I can target at an OTD $1000-2000 below MSRP or even lower? Thank you in advance!

You already are $2K UNDER MSRP (see bold above) .... expecting to get the whole deal with sales tax under MSRP might be a challenge.
The tax goes to the state, not the dealer so they are working with you on pricing but no incentive for them to do all the deal under MSRP.

Have you tried other dealers to compare pricing?

You already are $2K UNDER MSRP (see bold above) .... expecting to get the whole deal with sales tax under MSRP might be a challenge.
The tax goes to the state, not the dealer so they are working with you on pricing but no incentive for them to do all the deal under MSRP.

Have you tried other dealers to compare pricing?

Thank you! I was asking like that since I've seen people reported OTD several thousand dollars below MSRP (not sport, like XLT, Limited). In addition, I haven't bought a new car before, so I'm pretty confused on what a good deal would be like for sport. I know it's more difficult to negotiate than XLT and Limited.

Yes, I'm calling around the local dealers to get more prices. One of them gave me a price of $50,155 (MSRP $52,410). Similar package with the other one, a little bit more upgrades.

Go in with checkbook in hand and be ready to buy . Offer $1,000 under invoice. You may be surprised..

Go in with checkbook in hand and be ready to buy . Offer $1,000 under invoice. You may be surprised..

For what it's worth, before ordering a Limited at the dealership, they offered a 17 Sport for $1,200 under invoice here in So. Cal. That's the deal that got me into the dealership. I didn't go with it just because of a lack of bells and whistles that come with a loaded Limited. It seems like most dealers have Sports coming in around here. I'd call or email dealerships to see what they're willing to do.

For what it's worth, before ordering a Limited at the dealership, they offered a 17 Sport for $1,200 under invoice here in So. Cal. That's the deal that got me into the dealership. I didn't go with it just because of a lack of bells and whistles that come with a loaded Limited. It seems like most dealers have Sports coming in around here. I'd call or email dealerships to see what they're willing to do.

Just curious if it's a US configuration difference, but what exactly are bells and whistle that the Limited can be optioned with that the Sport can't?

Taking a quick glance at Ford.com it appears the 301A Equipment Group is not available in the Sport.
Equipment Group 301A
  • • Enhanced Active Park Assist System with Parallel Parking, Park Out Assist, Reverse Perpendicular Parking, and Forward and Side Sensing Systems
  • • Lane-Keeping System
  • • Multi-Contour front seats with Active Motion®
  • • 3.51 Non-Limited Slip rear axle ratio
The same appears to hold true for Ford.ca with the following not being available in the Sport;

• BLIS® Plus Inflatable Rear Safety Belts Package
Peter

I have asked around, negotiated and got an offer $1,000 under invoice before rebates. The final OTD is about $300 below MSRP. Thinking of going with this one.

Taking a quick glance at Ford.com it appears the 301A Equipment Group is not available in the Sport.
Equipment Group 301A
  • • Enhanced Active Park Assist System with Parallel Parking, Park Out Assist, Reverse Perpendicular Parking, and Forward and Side Sensing Systems
  • • Lane-Keeping System
  • • Multi-Contour front seats with Active Motion®
  • • 3.51 Non-Limited Slip rear axle ratio
The same appears to hold true for Ford.ca with the following not being available in the Sport;

• BLIS® Plus Inflatable Rear Safety Belts Package
Peter

Both BLIS and inflatable 2nd row seatbelts are standard on the Sport (at least here in Canada).

I just bought a 2017 Sport. There's no way I would go for a 2016 -- with the Employee Pricing deals the 2017s are only $1000 more (roughly), and it's worth it alone just for the Sync 3. Also the 2016s will naturally have a lower value that exceeds the difference.

I just bought a 2017 Sport. There's no way I would go for a 2016 -- with the Employee Pricing deals the 2017s are only $1000 more (roughly), and it's worth it alone just for the Sync 3. Also the 2016s will naturally have a lower value that exceeds the difference.
Could have saved that $1000 with the Costco rebate if you had a membership.;) I just took out a membership in the hope that when I'm ready to order in late March that the offer will be available then. Too early I believe for the Employee Pricing offer.

EDIT: Just noticed in another one of your posts that you did get the Costco rebate.

Peter

I did get the Costco rate and 1.9% financing over 4 years. My key reason for holding out a month ago was the high interest at 4.4%. I'm in Canada.

I'm in Canada.
That's what your profile shows.:D
I wonder what the lease rates will be later in the year. My current 0% lease is up April 1st.

Peter

That's what your profile shows.:D
I wonder what the lease rates will be later in the year. My current 0% lease is up April 1st.

Peter

In ON during Ford Employee pricing and Costco discount, you won't get anywhere near 0% financing.
Interest rates starts to drop when the new witner tire package promo comes up in Nov or so.
Thus why I bought my EX in cash, becuase FORD jacks up the rate during these promos.

It's too bad that those in Canada are being hamstrung on price.
It's just not that hard in the States.

It's too bad that those in Canada are being hamstrung on price.
It's just not that hard in the States.

Tell me about it.
Even at around $9k in discounts off of MSRP, I paid the same price for my Sport that you folks pay for the Platinum.

I just got back some quotes for ESP and for the 8yr premium care, our cost is CAD $5400 (USD $4193 after conversion); which is double that from a quick online quote from one of the many US dealerships that sells ESP; at around $2400.

In ON during Ford Employee pricing and Costco discount, you won't get anywhere near 0% financing.
Interest rates starts to drop when the new witner tire package promo comes up in Nov or so.
Thus why I bought my EX in cash, becuase FORD jacks up the rate during these promos.
I realize that interest rates go up during these promotions. Posted about that some time ago. Being that I Iease it's almost a 'catch 22' situation. Interest rates are usually higher when the new model hits the market and then go down as the year goes on. The catch is that the residual is at its highest early in the year and is adjusted downward each quarter and therefore also affects the bottom line.
That's not something to worry about when buying.

Peter

I just bought an Explorer Sport yesterday in BC and financed it for 4 years at 1.99%. 5 years would be 2.99%. I got an Ford Employee pricing, a couple freebies, low interest, and the Costco discount, and came in under the luxury tax threshold. A month ago, the price was the same, and the interest was 3.99%. I assumed price & interest was Canada wide, though taxes and fees can vary. Is that not true? I felt like I got a wickedly good deal overall.

I just bought an Explorer Sport yesterday in BC and financed it for 4 years at 1.99%. 5 years would be 2.99%. I got an Ford Employee pricing, a couple freebies, low interest, and the Costco discount, and came in under the luxury tax threshold. A month ago, the price was the same, and the interest was 3.99%. I assumed price & interest was Canada wide, though taxes and fees can vary. Is that not true? I felt like I got a wickedly good deal overall.
I'm sure that Ford offers are nation wide as are Ford Canada's interest rates. In addition there may also be regional offers/rebates.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, it's not nation wide and you got very lucky.
Ford.ca website is still showing 3.99% and 4.99 interest rate and if history repeats itself; the interests rate will only drop after employee pricing and Costco discount.

Trust me, I didn't want to drop $50K+ last year in one shot, as my money is growing nicely in my investments; but I coulnd't stomach paying those high interest rate; which pretty much negates all of the discounts.

Back