Brake Controller Plug and Wiring | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

Like everyone else, I struggled locating the harness. I was able to find it but the connector doesn't match the connector on my brake controller harness. I have the Tekonsha harness like this. I have been unable to find the proper connector anywhere. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? The dealer has not been able to help me so far.
open

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like everyone else, I struggled locating the harness. I was able to find it but the connector doesn't match the connector on my brake controller harness. I have the Tekonsha harness like this. I have been unable to find the proper connector anywhere. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? The dealer has not been able to help me so far.
open

Thanks,
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
BTW I don't see a picture. Just a black square with an 'x' in it and IMG beside it.

Peter

I guess I did the picture part wrong. Here is a link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8n3G3tR63PDakUzV1dqY0tEa2M/view?usp=drivesd
Hopefully this works better.
Got that one. Not sure why I get that other issue from time to time. Most of the time there's no issue so I don't know if it is a problem at my end or the way they are posted.

Go to the top right of the page and use the 'Search' feature. Enter the word Tekonsha in the search field and select "Search this thread" and execute. You'll find 16 posts where that word is mentioned. The 2nd last one shows a link to an adaptor but check out the other posts as well s I saw one that said the adaptor may not give full functionality. Good luck.

Peter

Hi, new to the group, joined to possible be of some help. Picked up my new 2016 Explorer XLT May of 2016, it has a factory installed Class III tow package. I had been looking for a week for the connector for an after market brake controller that should have come with the vehicle. Called the Ford help line, the dealer, looked on line all to naught. I finally found it! The FACTORY INSTALLED SOCKET for an after market plug for the brake controller on my vehicle was inside the dash on the drivers side. The ONLY way I could see it was to remove the LEFT end trim of the dash nearest the left door. Then with a light, look inside to the right and down a little, I'd say under the screen display. It was in 18" with the open end of the socket facing to the left side of the vehicle. There was NO play as it was taped to another bunch of wires. I could not reach it but was able to attach the plug by using blue painters tape and a stick. As I pushed it in I could hear a loud click as it locked in place. I had scored the blue tape and once the plug was locked, gave the stick a wiggle and the tape broke away. Then I fished the rest of the wire down to come under the dash to where I wanted it. Using a zip tie to keep it from contacting the steering column and getting chafed.
Well I just bought a 2017 Explorer XLT with a Tow package an have been looking for a month to locate this connector. I hope my 2017 is like the 2017 can you post a reference picture? Or can anyone else confirm the location of the 2017?

Well I just bought a 2017 Explorer XLT with a Tow package an have been looking for a month to locate this connector. I hope my 2017 is like the 2017 can you post a reference picture? Or can anyone else confirm the location of the 2017?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Happy hunting.;)

Peter

I have a 2015 Explorer with factory tow package. The trailer I am looking at requires a brake control installed. Does anyone know if there is a plug under the drivers side dash that you can just plug into? The Ford website says that there is a plug there for trailer brakes, but that might be just for there trucks.

I have a 2015 Explorer with factory tow package. The trailer I am looking at requires a brake control installed. Does anyone know if there is a plug under the drivers side dash that you can just plug into? The Ford website says that there is a plug there for trailer brakes, but that might be just for there trucks.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the forum's 'Search' feature.

Back