Intermittent Stalling and code P0193 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Stalling and code P0193

Beau Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
Bullard, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2004 Sport Trac and i have recently started having an issue with it stalling while in motion. Some day they car will do fine and someday it will stall at 60mph. I brought it to our local mechanic that we always use and he said he didn't want to do anything because he can't pin point the problem. He hooked his scanner up and the fuel pressure was fine, but he didn't want to charge me for something that might not the problem. Sometimes the car with fire right back up, sometimes i have to give it gas to start it, but it has never left me stranded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? Ford recommends every 30K miles. I had a 4.3 Blazer that ran fine until you put your foot down and then it would fall flat on it's face. It had about 70K on it. I pulled the fuel filter and that sucker was clogged solid! You may also benefit from cleaning your MAF sensor.

Here's what an internet search had to say...

P0193 Ford Description The FRP sensor is a diaphragm strain gauge device. The FRP sensor measures the pressure difference between the fuel rail and atmospheric pressure. The FRP sensor nominal output varies between 0.5 and 4.5 volts, with 0.5 volts corresponding to 0 MPa (0 psi) gauge and 4.5 volts corresponding to 26 MPa (3771 psi) gauge. The sensor can read vacuums and may lower the output voltage to slightly below 0.5 volts. This condition is normal and is usually the case after several hours of cold soak before the vehicle dome light is turned on. The FP module is energized at the same time the dome light is commanded on. A disabled or malfunctioning dome light does not affect the FP module control. The FRP sensor is located on the fuel rail, and provides a feedback signal to indicate the fuel rail pressure to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM uses the FRP signal to command the correct injector timing and pulse width for correct fuel delivery at all speed and load conditions. The FRP sensor, along with the fuel volume regulator (part of the fuel injection pump), form a closed loop fuel pressure control system. An electrically faulted FRP sensor results in the deactivation of the fuel injection pump. Fuel pressure to injectors is then provided only by the FP module. When the fuel injection pump is de-energized and the injectors are active, the fuel rail pressure is approximately 70 kPa (10 psi) lower than FP module pressure due to the pressure drop across the fuel injection pump. Thus, if the FP module pressure is 448 kPa (65 psi), then the fuel rail pressure would be approximately 379 kPa (55 psi) if the injectors are active.

Read more: http://www.autocodes.com/p0193_ford.html

I just bought the truck so I do not know when the last time the fuel filter was changed, but I did spray some maf cleaner on the maf and that did not change a thing. The car will idle fine for hours then drive good for the first bit. IT gets worse the longer your drive so I don't know if it has something to do with heat.

I just bought the truck so I do not know when the last time the fuel filter was changed, but I did spray some maf cleaner on the maf and that did not change a thing. The car will idle fine for hours then drive good for the first bit. IT gets worse the longer your drive so I don't know if it has something to do with heat.

I'd go ahead and replace the fuel filter as you don't know the last time it was changed. Couldn't hurt.

I sure will try it, but is this a common thing on ford explorer or an uncommon problem?

I sure will try it, but is this a common thing on ford explorer or an uncommon problem?

I don't recall reading other posts with your reported issue, so I wouldn't say it's common. If it's the fuel filter - any vehicle with a clogged fuel filter would behave in this matter.

Yesturday i was in my car and decided to erase the code to see if they immediately came back. They didnt but today my truck was idling while i was eating then it started to surge then drop to 500 rpm then shoot to 1100 so i killed it. Later when i got home the check engine light was on and now i have three codes p0193, p0171, and p0174 along with a pending code of p0191 i dont know if this changes your diagnosis or not but just adding more info.

P0171/174 can indicate a major vacuum leak somewhere. This is probably what caused the surging and high idle. P0191 is indicating the same problem as the P0193 code. So it appears you have multiple problems possibly all fuel related. It has been reported that a clogged fuel filter may cause the P0171/174 codes, so I still think that's a logical (and inexpensive) place to start, especially as you have no idea when it was last changed.

Screenshot_20211102_234829_com.ovz.carscanner.huawei.jpg
this is a 2008 explorer with these code and its the same ones it heats up it acts tht way plus the battery lights shows for a week thn disappears afted a week it got 300,000 kms also the fuel is clean and 85 is the least u will get n no one puts 85 thy do 92

Back