• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Rattle

Macnerd

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I've searched around the forum a bit and really haven't been able to find anything about this, was wondering if you all had any input or had experience with it yourself.

It appears the right part of my second row rattles when it's in the upright position, it occurs whether or not the headrest is up or down. When I fold it over so it is laying flat, no rattle. I've tried shaking the seat, the headrest, everything when the vehicle is parked and it feels very solid. But, I do know it's the seat because folding it over stops the rattle. Seat belt also doesn't seem to be the issue.

My local Ford dealer has a ridiculous long wait for an appointment any time I try to get one, so I hate bringing it to them if I don't have to but I want to be nit picky while I'm still under my 12/12.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are many threads on rattles in the seats, front, 2nd row, 3rd row and all are somewhat different. Just as a thought, have you tried fastening the seat belts in the second row just to see if the rattle persists? It seems that someone had this same issue with the rattle with the seat upright but not with it down but I haven't found it. Not sure what if anything was found.

Peter

I have a similar issue with mine, and the best way I could describe it to my wife was it sounds like a tiny elf jumping off a miniature diving board lol I know that sounds ridiculous, but does yours happen to sound the same? Also, do you have leather seats? My wife thinks it could be the leather rubbing up against each other in the crack of the seat. We put a pillow case in the crack to test out this theory and it resolved the issue, but of course, that wasn't a permanent fix.

I have a similar issue with mine, and the best way I could describe it to my wife was it sounds like a tiny elf jumping off a miniature diving board lol I know that sounds ridiculous, but does yours happen to sound the same? Also, do you have leather seats? My wife thinks it could be the leather rubbing up against each other in the crack of the seat. We put a pillow case in the crack to test out this theory and it resolved the issue, but of course, that wasn't a permanent fix.
I'm guessing that wasn't on your Honda Ridgeline that shows in your profile.:)

Peter

Oops...just purchased mine a few weeks ago. Profile updated!

It appears Peter might have been onto something with the seatbelt, I've only gone on one drive and was late for work so I didn't really pay attention to it and the radio was on so I'll listen more carefully tomorrow morning, but it appears that it may have been the seatbelt after all. It wouldn't shift properly on the way home so that's a story for another day.

Back