Looking at 2000 4WD Manual Shift Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at 2000 4WD Manual Shift Explorer

Justinwht

Reaction score
City, State
Rosston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT, '96 XLT, '00 XLS
First post after several years on here.

Need to replace my '96 Explorer XLT 4WD as transmission going out and not worth spending $1,400+ which is more than I paid for it three years ago for $1,200.

Off Craig's List

2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 - $1999

Ford explorer 2000, with six-cylinder engine, and standard transmission, 4x4, the truck is in very good condition, both inside and outside, air conditioning, radio.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5870496368.html

Don't know mileage or if inspection current.
Correction: 143,000 miles and dealer will get it inspected. Said I could bring my own mechanic if I wanted, so likely no outstanding discoverable problems.

Will take my OBC tester to check for any engine codes. Not much can go wrong with standard tranny and not expensive to replace clutch pads.

Anything I need to be wary of?

I'll get around telling my '96 Explorer experiences and solutions with pictures - Replacing fuel pump was...an experience!

Why did this preview in BOLD font? Sorry if it did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has the better OHV engine. The only way I would stay away from it is if the coolant looks crappy or that check engine light reveals a missfire. The ohv is a little more prone to cooling issues and like to crack cylinder heads.

I'd still bring your mechanic with you. One area to have checked is the front suspension (these trucks are tough on ball joints). Not a deal killer, but perhaps a bargaining point. The OHV V6 is a more reliable engine than the SOHC, but produces less HP and is more prone to head problems (gaskets, cracks). Asking $1999 for clean a 2000 with 143K is a very fair price for a dealer (if that's what he is) and is even a good price for a private party sale. Check it out, test drive it and make sure everything works as it should.

Being an XLS model, don't expect too many options/amenities, though it appears to at least have windows and privacy glass.

It has the better OHV engine. The only way I would stay away from it is if the coolant looks crappy or that check engine light reveals a missfire. The ohv is a little more prone to cooling issues and like to crack cylinder heads.
I'll be looking at all the fluids. Check to see if cat converter and emissions calibrated after driving long enough to trigger codes in case OBC was reset to clear any codes.

Only options I need are forward and reverse, and A/C. Ha!

/added
I installed track lighting in back of my '96. Eight foot string of battery powered Christmas lights pulled into length of clear plastic tubing and screwed into overhead from.

the stick shift OHV explorers last a very long time. I know some here pushing 500K with good maint.

Even in the unlikely event there are head/coolant issues work on the OHV is simple, doable and inexpensive. Once repaired correctly it would probably run for ever.
Some also leak at the lower intake manifold.

It is probably no sports car though if it has any higher gearing than 4.10.

Don't need sports car performance. Just need room to carry rodeo gear. I'll let the engine run and check for leaks.

I'd be suspicious of that CEL. Scan it to see if the readiness tests are complete, which would be a sign that the codes were cleared recently. If so, then test drive it for a good 20 mins at least, taking it on the highway and a bit of in town driving to try to get the computer to run all the tests/possibly set a pending trouble code.

Yup. That why I want to check if (especially the cat conv and emission) units have been calibrated by driving and show ready.

356 000 Canadian kilometers on my 2000 4L OHV 4wd Sport 5 speed manual. - Very reliable and it takes the main failures of explorers out of the equation .. sohc timing chain failure and automatic 5r55 failure. Oh and it's the best configuration for fuel consumption in a 2nd Gen.

Next on National Geographic - The Hunt For the Elusive White Explorer!

Join us as we travel into rural North Texas - the land where time slows to the pace of Dairy Queens on a Saturday night.

Our journey slows as we approach the geotagged pin on Google Maps. "Y'all drive to the the fork in the road" directions replace visible addresses on front of buildings. A phone call to our contact says we are forty miles in wrong direction.

By mid afternoon we arrive at the new location, but the only Explorer there is a red one with blown motor and they don't remember anyone calling about a white one. Our tour guide who used to work for M5 British Intelligence whispers "call that number and see if their phone rings" - an old spy trick he says. The phone RANG!

We showed them the Craig's List picture of the white Explorer and discover a hidden link to contact information. The phone number was DIFFERENT from we had been calling!

Mysteries don't happen. They are the result of a chain of events. A wrong phone number and miscommunication of color. We called the newly discovered phone number and we were at the right location earlier that day but didn't realize it! We also confirmed the white Explorer was still there.

The sun just set and we shall set off again in the morning. We will carry $2500 gauge seditive and hope to bag him tomorrow.

I'd give it serious consideration, I looked at a 95 2 door that was a stick at the JY, I almost bought it, the reason I didn't? The trans was run low on grease and literally busted, had to hold the clutch to idle, and the other is the lifter tapping, which it was low on oil, I liked it though, I screwed with it a bit and the floor shift was fun around the yard, just couldn't stop and let out on the clutch, if he'd have had a tranny, I'd have bought it, no questions, if nothing else, to fix and put back on the road.

OK.... test drove it 25 miles. Cat converter finally changed from inc(conclusive) to OK but evap emmission didn't but then that took 40 miles on my '96. No worry.

Good low range 4Wd, leaps off. Good low end torque. Power steering didn't show when cold, may low as slight growl when turn wheel parked.

BUT has P1309 engine code. Dealer said it will pass his inspection. My guess bad sensor.

I put down $200 to hold it two days until I could get feedback about P1309 coddfrom the forum.

I'm not really concerned about the P1309 code if they are going to pass the inspection and will give me a year to address that for next inspection.

17R15 muddin' tires with very good tread. Obviously the OEM jack will be too short.
Cruse control out. Steering wheel cruse control switches look worn out. Can swap steering wheel from my '96.

UPDATE -
Biggest complaint...no console to store anything. Oh well, I'll hack some ideas.

Runs very good, lot of power in 4WD low range.
* Rear glass makes a glass sounding impact when it inadvertently slams shut. The hex bolts that attach the glass to the hinge look loose.
* Driver side door key won't move unlock and handle flops around. Will pop off door panel and look.
* Rear doors won t open from inside (even with child-proof level in down position). Yup...someone tried to force the doors open. Read about that problem on here. Am just going to install a lanyard to pull the arm until I replace that poorly engineered plastic part. Will use same lanyard idea to open my '96 hatch from inside.
* 17R15 tires - OEM jack will be too short, will carry longer jack.
* Slight power steering growl when sharp slow turn in parking lot (might even be normal). Will recheck fluid level.
* Slight paint problem and rusting in the grooves on the roof. Seems to be a common Explorer problem. Navel Jelly and touch up paint.
* Should get a second electric key made ($90??). But did have a spare key made to open doors just in case I lock my electronic key inside.
* Rear window wiper not working - will pop off panel and look.
* Dirty transfer case oil - will replace.
* Dirty rear end different fluid and some metal (oil change guy told me that and I can't say just what it was) - will replace oil.
****** Question...will simply changing the fluid be sufficient, or should I open it up and wipe it down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take the diff cover off and clean it out if you're going to give it some attention, careful with the bolts, they snap easily. Limited slip rear ends take full synthetic with friction modifier.
The rest sounds like the usual 2nd Gen woes.

(Of course it has lots of power in 4lo :D )

Back