New 2017 Platinum Ordered | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2017 Platinum Ordered

I was able to track mine within a few days of ordering on cotus.ford.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My order was distinct enough that FordService on this site was able to get me my VIN before my dealer. Once I had that I tracked it all the way through to delivery. I'll be picking it up Thursday!

Finally picked up my new 2017 Explorer Platinum this morning. One small snag, a gouge out of the hard plastic cover above the right-most set of buttons on the steering wheel. The dealership is looking to see if warranty will cover it - the steering wheel is a single unit and replacement would be over $1,000 - so my question to the group: If warranty won't cover te replacement, should I, as the customer who just bought a brand new $50,000+ top-of-the-line Ford, be happy with a third-party repair, or should I hold out for wanting my new vehicle pristine when delivered? I'm not an unreasonable guy, but want to see what the forum thinks. Thanks.

Craig.

P.S. Thanks to Peter I was able to post a picture in a follow-on post later in this same thread.

I would never had accepted the vehicle....... but that being said, Ford should make it good.....

Whether it is a top of the line or very base model should not matter. A new vehicle should be free of any defects. If they are willing to replace the steering wheel at no cost to you, I think that would be reasonable. I would not take possession of it if it is going to be a repair. Actually difficult to see what can be repaired/replaced without seeing the damage.

Peter

Whether it is a top of the line or very base model should not matter. A new vehicle should be free of any defects. If they are willing to replace the steering wheel at no cost to you, I think that would be reasonable. I would not take possession of it if it is going to be a repair. Actually difficult to see what can be repaired/replaced without seeing the damage.

Peter
Peter, can you point me to the thread that tells me how to upload a picture?
The defect is minor, but it's more than a surface scratch.

Peter, can you point me to the thread that tells me how to upload a picture?
The defect is minor, but it's more than a surface scratch.
PM sent.

Peter
It's minor, but it's more than a scratch. There's an actual little chunk missing:
IMG_1934.jpg

If it was mine, I would have insisted it be replaced. That's one thing you'll be staring at all the time.

I am in the same boat as you, except mine is the dash. Consider replacing it, but you also have to consider what replacing it entails. Could replacing it cause another issue? Probably, because let's face it, it is not being replaced at the factory, but at the dealership, and the dealership doesn't make mistakes right?
Anyway, one option you might consider, (if offered, because I think it is up to Ford whether they replace or not) is an appearance allowance. Consider the electronics in it, (plus the time your SUV is in the dealership) if the amount they gave back to you on your steering wheel was reasonable like say $800 or so, to leave it alone, maybe you could live with it knowing that you won't have any new issues as a result of having the steering wheel replaced, and Ford doesn't have to pay the dealership for the labour to change it.

Just got off the phone with the dealership. Ford has offered to pay for the replacement. The parts should arrive and the repair made the week after Christmas.

Whickey's caution about the repair potentially causing more damage has me worried, and it's the same concern my wife expressed. I had thought about it, but can't see this being an overly complex repair. . . Shouldn't it only be a few steps: I.e. unbolt the steering wheel, disconnect a wiring harness, discard the wheel, connect the new wheel's wiring harness, and bolt on the new steering wheel?

Just got off the phone with the dealership. Ford has offered to pay for the replacement. The parts should arrive and the repair made the week after Christmas.

Whickey's caution about the repair potentially causing more damage has me worried, and it's the same concern my wife expressed. I had thought about it, but can't see this being an overly complex repair. . . Shouldn't it only be a few steps: I.e. unbolt the steering wheel, disconnect a wiring harness, discard the wheel, connect the new wheel's wiring harness, and bolt on the new steering wheel?
Steering wheels. They either work, or they don't work.

Back