What Year Seats Will Fit My 1994?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Year Seats Will Fit My 1994??

It's on hold. I will continue to look for the right seats, but am not in a hurry. I spent my 4X4 budget this quarter on stuff to make it off road better (bumps), safer (cage work), maintenance (new yellow top aux battery) and passenger comfort (AC system) than interior looks. Plus, Obama's rant about gun control made me nervous so I bought a couple of rifle kits I don't need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's on hold. I will continue to look for the right seats, but am not in a hurry. I spent my 4X4 budget this quarter on stuff to make it off road better (bumps), safer (cage work), maintenance (new yellow top aux battery) and passenger comfort (AC system) than interior looks. Plus, Obama's rant about gun control made me nervous so I bought a couple of rifle kits I don't need.

The never ending gun debate sure spurs sales of guns and ammo...!

Did you end up swapping for newer seats? I'm picking up a pair of 05's for my 92 this weekend. Hoping it'll work out.

That would be cool. My main concern was pretty much dimension (between center console and door. And fittment onto my 92 track. For $85, driver and passenger, I figure is worth a shot. Thanks.

Did you end up swapping for newer seats? I'm picking up a pair of 05's for my 92 this weekend. Hoping it'll work out.

I haven't done anything with the seats as I ended up with a bunch of other, non 4x4 related projects. The 05 seats have different brackets so you will need to make them fit.

One of the best things you could do, would be to spend a day at a wrecking yard playing with yard cars. Do this before investing money in something you can't return.

That's a good idea.. I broke my front axle shaft replacing the U joint. I got the replacement at pick N pull. While there i ended up pulling out the wheel bearings on three different trucks. I felt like a pro at home when it came time to do my own.

One of the best things you could do, would be to spend a day at a wrecking yard playing with yard cars. Do this before investing money in something you can't return.

I already did that for him / them / you / whoever. I explained how minor fabrication skills would be required as all the seat mounts are different for different years, but its do-able. The reason for this thread...

If you are going to junk yard hunt, take measurements and pictures of how your seats mount to the floor so you can compare.

Here is what I found out today:

Junk yards are full of Explorers. Most of them have trashed drivers seats.

But..
All the Explorers from 91-2007 have basically the same seat sizes (outer diameters). The seat faces are wider but the overall width are nearly the same. I measured out 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, all within an inch of my 94. All the electric motion controls are on the seats as well. Mounts are different, but not so much that they can't be modified to fit a 94. Including the rear seats. This would not be a job for the inexperienced fabricator, but anyone who can figure out an SAS should be able to make them work.

Just for info, the Flex, Escape and Expedition seats are all very close, but the mounting is so different it might not be worth the trouble.

One of the main issues would be disabling the air bag on 99 and up models before attempting to do any wiring.

Went to the first yard and they had the seats I saw in CL add yesterday. Perfect tan leather 2007. Problem is they sold the driver seat this morning. Guy offered me $175 for the rest. Need the complete set. I also found a set out of a 99, tan leather with a split in the driver seat that could easily be repaired for $150. I bet I could get them down to $100 cash.

The search continues.....

That's a good idea.. I broke my front axle shaft replacing the U joint. I got the replacement at pick N pull. While there i ended up pulling out the wheel bearings on three different trucks. I felt like a pro at home when it came time to do my own.

Did you replace bad wheel bearings with junk yard wheel bearings? Some things just need to be replaced with new parts.

I already did that for him / them / you / whoever. I explained how minor fabrication skills would be required as all the seat mounts are different for different years, but its do-able. The reason for this thread...

If you are going to junk yard hunt, take measurements and pictures of how your seats mount to the floor so you can compare.

Did you replace bad wheel bearings with junk yard wheel bearings? Some things just need to be replaced with new parts.

I only used the axle shaft. And replaced the bearings with new. I don't remember why it took me three trucks to get to.. But the practice saved time in the drive way. I also found a pair of good seats from a 97. I think I might go with those since they should be a direct swap. The only thing is they are from a sport model. I'm pretty sure I read they don't adjust back as far. They are also maual. Neither of which would bother me. I actually prefer the manual adjustments. I thought I would be able to detatch the 05 seats from their mounting brackets and track and simply reattach to mine, keeping all moving parts original.

I replaced my 94's front seats with a mint set from a 98 Limited Ex. Nice tan leather Eddie Bauer. I only had to swap out the seat belt arms, as the belts connectors changed style. IIRC, The wire harness was even plug and play.

Back