double honk disable/enable with FORscan | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

double honk disable/enable with FORscan

Thanks. Do you happen to also have instructions to disable daytime running lights on 2016 models?
I thought in Canada the DRL were required - no? Anyway, in Arizona, my 16 Explorer Limited has an option to turn off the DRL through the left side dash screen, I believe it's under Vehicle Settings. But they are not required here so perhaps that's why it's accessable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought in Canada the DRL were required - no? Anyway, in Arizona, my 16 Explorer Limited has an option to turn off the DRL through the left side dash screen, I believe it's under Vehicle Settings. But they are not required here so perhaps that's why it's accessable?
You are correct. It is required by law to have DRL here and that is why there is no option to disable them.
Also, please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) of your Ex to your profile. Once added to your profile it will show in the margin and be useful info for the members in replying to certain concerns you may have in future posts. Thanks.

Peter

You are correct. It is required by law to have DRL here and that is why there is no option to disable them.
Also, please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) of your Ex to your profile. Once added to your profile it will show in the margin and be useful info for the members in replying to certain concerns you may have in future posts. Thanks.

Peter
You're the 2nd person who's asked me to add the trim level and I can't seem to figure out how! It cuts me off after adding Explorer. I looked last night, I'll try again now. Probably something really easy and I'll feel totally stupid once I get it!

Yes, it's the law here in Ontario (except for Quebec and I'm sure other provinces also).
Thank goodness for the great community support, as I was able to disable the DRL day/night LEDs (but I do drive with the signature lighting on).

You're the 2nd person who's asked me to add the trim level and I can't seem to figure out how! It cuts me off after adding Explorer. I looked last night, I'll try again now. Probably something really easy and I'll feel totally stupid once I get it!
Looks like you have it figured out.:) Knowing the trim can really help with some issues when members reply since they have different features and sometimes different resolutions. Thank you.

Thank goodness for the great community support, as I was able to disable the DRL day/night LEDs (but I do drive with the signature lighting on).

Could you please explain how you did it?

Could you please explain how you did it?

For me. When I turn the light switch knob to the left of the steering wheel all the way to the left then I have not DRL but only signature lights.

For me. When I turn the light switch knob to the left of the steering wheel all the way to the left then I have not DRL but only signature lights.
The option to disable daytime running lights is removed on Canadian EX, but present in US EX.

Anyone in the Toronto ontario area that can help disable this double honk?

Coffee on me!!

Can't find where you shared how. Can you share?

Can't find where you shared how. Can you share?

I posted a google docs link on the forscan thread, but no instructions yet (haven't had a chance perform any new changes on the EX).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=0

Forscan changes below.
Disabling Canadian forced DRLs to cluster controlled

BCM 726-16-02 0101 0101 0049 (DRL Cluster Control 1 enabled)
BCM 726-21-01 xxxx xxxx x1xx
BCM 726-50-01 108E xxxx xxxx
IPC 720-02-01 xxEx xxxx xxxx (Daytime Lights option & Lane Keeping System present in Settings)
IPC 720-02-01 xxCx xxxx xxxx (Daytime Lights option present & Lane Keeping System absent)

I posted a google docs link on the forscan thread, but no instructions yet (haven't had a chance perform any new changes on the EX).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=0

Forscan changes below.
Disabling Canadian forced DRLs to cluster controlled

BCM 726-16-02 0101 0101 0049 (DRL Cluster Control 1 enabled)
BCM 726-21-01 xxxx xxxx x1xx
BCM 726-50-01 108E xxxx xxxx
IPC 720-02-01 xxEx xxxx xxxx (Daytime Lights option & Lane Keeping System present in Settings)
IPC 720-02-01 xxCx xxxx xxxx (Daytime Lights option present & Lane Keeping System absent)
It would be helpful if you posted what years this works on.

It would be helpful if you posted what years this works on.

Unfortunately, I have very little data points from the EX community on which MY these changes can be applied on; as most of the activities are happening with the F150 owners.

So for us non-engineers...

It is possible to buy an OBD reader amd Forscan license to change a couple numbers in the code to disable the double honk?

Having to go to the dealer is the only reason I haven't bought the other fix for this issue.

Can someone break this down into simple terms? What to buy, where to buy and then the procedure?

I hate the double honk!

Me too!!! at 5am if i forgot something and close the doors in the garage, my neighboors i think they going to kill me with this loud double honk.

Thanks for all for all this great information.

I also do not like the double honk but it did serve its purpose a couple weeks ago. I was in a bit of a rush so I parked, hit the Start/Stop button, got out and closed the door. The double honk sounded and it was only then that I noticed the vehicle was still running. These engines sometimes are just too quiet. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first was with the 2011 Limited I had. It didn't have the double honk but I noticed it was still running when I got out because it was in the garage making it easier to hear. There definitely is more chance of this happening with the push button ignition than a keyed one.

Peter

I also do not like the double honk but it did serve its purpose a couple weeks ago. I was in a bit of a rush so I parked, hit the Start/Stop button, got out and closed the door. The double honk sounded and it was only then that I noticed the vehicle was still running. These engines sometimes are just too quiet. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first was with the 2011 Limited I had. It didn't have the double honk but I noticed it was still running when I got out because it was in the garage making it easier to hear. There definitely is more chance of this happening with the push button ignition than a keyed one.

Peter
What you just mentioned is the only reason I haven't taken mine in to have my uncle disable the double honk. I'll probably still end up doing it, but leaving it running accidentally when you thought you turned it off is at least slowing down the process.

What you just mentioned is the only reason I haven't taken mine in to have my uncle disable the double honk. I'll probably still end up doing it, but leaving it running accidentally when you thought you turned it off is at least slowing down the process.

Even with the double honk disabled, the warning chime for key not detected is still audible.

Even with the double honk disabled, the warning chime for key not detected is still audible.
Haha, not when you have a four year old and two year old jabbering in the back seat. :p

True story. Happened a couple of weeks ago. My mother-in-law is a teacher at the christian school my 4 year old goes to preschool at. She picks him up on her way to school and (most of the time, at least) brings him home. A couple of weeks ago she was running late and forgot to get his backpack with his lunch on the way out the door. My four year old likes 'normalcy' and flipped out about not having his backpack upon arriving at school.

No biggie. Threw a coat on my 2 year old (still in jammies), put my keys in the front of the backpack and headed to town. A student met me in the parking lot, I handed off the backpack and took a quick spin around town before going home. All in all about 30 minutes from departure of backpack until pulling into our driveway. No fob the whole way home. Didn't get the 'need your key fob' message until I pulled into the driveway.

Thankfully Mrs. Squirrel leaves her fob here unless she plans on driving the Ex that day so I had hers for the return trip a few hours later. Still, never saw anything on the dash about missing the fob and didn't her any chimes, either. To say I got lucky that day is an understatement. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

supr suirrel:

It sounds like you may of disabled one to many warnings. :thumbsup:

Back