Sync issue with USB drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync issue with USB drive

So glad I read this. I believe I have some mp4 files on my USB stick. Will remove them and see if it works. Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So glad I read this. I believe I have some mp4 files on my USB stick. Will remove them and see if it works. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Be sure to report back. Thanks.

Peter

I've been having issues as well, sometimes it indexes endlessly (and when it's doing that, you can't use voice commands), sometimes it forgets where you left off when you start the car next (which is very troubling when you're listening to a book on CD ripped to MP3), or, my favorite, when the car suddenly says it can no longer find the USB device even though you didn't unplug it (when that happens, the radio turns on at a much higher volume then the USB was playing at, which is a thrill when you're not expecting it) I thought this last one was the result of a bad stick or possibly the plug it goes into, but I've tried 3 different sticks in both of the plugs and eventually get the same results.

My stick is 32GB, I leave it in all the time, and I never formatted it, so I don't know if it's NTFS or FAT, but it sounds like I've got a great starting point. I'll get a 4GB formatted up as FAT and see how it goes.

On a side note, I took my car in for warranty work because of all the hassle with this thing and, after they had the car for two days, I got in it and the same song was playing from when I dropped it off and they said they couldn't find any problems with the MFT. On the two mile drive home the car couldn't find the USB twice.

Thanks dmuscat, I hope this is it!

Welcome to the Forum HauntedMansion.:wave:
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.). This can be very helpful info to have in answering certain questions. Thank you.

Peter

I've been having issues as well, sometimes it indexes endlessly (and when it's doing that, you can't use voice commands), sometimes it forgets where you left off when you start the car next (which is very troubling when you're listening to a book on CD ripped to MP3), or, my favorite, when the car suddenly says it can no longer find the USB device even though you didn't unplug it (when that happens, the radio turns on at a much higher volume then the USB was playing at, which is a thrill when you're not expecting it) I thought this last one was the result of a bad stick or possibly the plug it goes into, but I've tried 3 different sticks in both of the plugs and eventually get the same results.

My stick is 32GB, I leave it in all the time, and I never formatted it, so I don't know if it's NTFS or FAT, but it sounds like I've got a great starting point. I'll get a 4GB formatted up as FAT and see how it goes.

On a side note, I took my car in for warranty work because of all the hassle with this thing and, after they had the car for two days, I got in it and the same song was playing from when I dropped it off and they said they couldn't find any problems with the MFT. On the two mile drive home the car couldn't find the USB twice.

Thanks dmuscat, I hope this is it!

I have two 64GB flash drives plugged into both USB slots with thousands of songs and currently don't have any problems. When you initially put in one of these USBs loaded with music, MP3's, WMA's, etc., it will take a little time for indexing and then applying voice commands (which I don't use) and then it seems to play fine and always remembers where it left off, whether it's on straight forward play or random.

In summary, the size of flash drive should not make difference, perhaps reformatting your current drive may help, not sure. I also don't play books in MP3, but data is data and that should not make a difference. I've yet to have the unit say it cannot find a USB, at least not yet. If it's not a format issue, I'm guessing you have a bad unit and if the vehicle is under warranty I would request a new one.

Back