aFe Magnum Force air intake system for 2016 Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aFe Magnum Force air intake system for 2016 Platinum

Tim Nadolski

Reaction score
City, State
Dalton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Callsign
Padre Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Tim.:wave:
As for as I know, the hoods are all the same on all 5th gen Explorers.

Peter

Thanks. I'm hoping it works. Does anyone else have any experience using it?

Padre Tim

2016 Platinum and Sport hoods share identical part numbers. (FB5Z-16612-A)
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...-gas-engine/body-cat/hood-and-components-scat

Huge fan of aFe products, especially their Pro Dry S drop in panel filters. Maybe use your factory CAI and apply the savings towards a tune?
http://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10215-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

If available, ever consider using the oil free Pro Dry S conical instead of the Pro 5R? Better filtering efficiency without oil. (99.2% vs. 98.6%)
http://afepower.com/stock-replacement-and-universal-performance-air-filters

Thanks,
What sort of performance differences am I going to have with the flat panel drop in and the whole system change?

I would think marginal at best. Not familiar with the 3.5L Ecoboost, but after reading several threads in this 2011+ sub forum, aftermarket intakes are generally not highly regarded, especially the open filter design such as K&N. Looking at K&N's dyno charts, the small HP/Torque gains only occur over 3000 RPM. Below that the stock intake usually out performs aftermarket. This why you will NEVER see intake manufacturers make mileage gain claims. As for the drop in panel, although graphs show they breathe more, the stock intake and filter is capable of ingesting more air than the engine needs. IMO, the panel is more for convenience of 30K cleaning intervals, and a having a permanent filter. Pro Dry S did give my engine a little more intake noise and a lower note, but nothing more. No regrets from me, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. GL

Padre Tim

Dont waste your money on a CAI, the results will be disappointing at best.

Go purchase a tune, Livernois is probably the best at the EcoBoost engines because of their relationship with Ford but SCT or Diablo have options.

Bang for the buck you cant beat the tunes for performance.

I bought a second hand Air Raid CAI for $50. It makes cool swoosh noises and you can hear the turbos spin up. I probably wouldn't spend any more than $150 for a CAI for these cars. Other cars it makes a bigger difference.

What is the difference between AFE Pro 5R and K@N? Seems about the same price.

Dont waste your money on a CAI, the results will be disappointing at best.

Go purchase a tune, Livernois is probably the best at the EcoBoost engines because of their relationship with Ford but SCT or Diablo have options.

Bang for the buck you cant beat the tunes for performance.
+1 on this advice if you are looking for a performance increase. I run the LMS 93 tune with no mods other than Magnaflow mufflers (for the sound only, no performance increase over stock) and I'm solidly in the low to mid 5s 0-60. I'm at 23,000 miles with no issues related to the tune.

The CAI will give you a cool look and sound (both subjective, I know), but it will usually negatively impact the performance of an otherwise stock Explo engine. As always, my opinion only and YMMV.

I would think marginal at best. Not familiar with the 3.5L Ecoboost, but after reading several threads in this 2011+ sub forum, aftermarket intakes are generally not highly regarded, especially the open filter design such as K&N. Looking at K&N's dyno charts, the small HP/Torque gains only occur over 3000 RPM. Below that the stock intake usually out performs aftermarket. This why you will NEVER see intake manufacturers make mileage gain claims. As for the drop in panel, although graphs show they breathe more, the stock intake and filter is capable of ingesting more air than the engine needs. IMO, the panel is more for convenience of 30K cleaning intervals, and a having a permanent filter. Pro Dry S did give my engine a little more intake noise and a lower note, but nothing more. No regrets from me, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. GL

Performance in HP or Tourque will be be worse with K@N then in stock, will it actually make the truck slower? I just wanted to get something for the sound, because it is just too quite.

Padre Tim
i have a 2016 sport and i just installed the AFE was very easy about 20 min , and i do feel the difference
now just waiting for the livernoise tuner i ordered

i have a 2016 sport and i just installed the AFE was very easy about 20 min , and i do feel the difference
How's your fuel economy?

I drive like and idiot so honestly don't know

You'll love the Livernois tune. It's a different truck with it.

Different truck with AFE installed? What does it get you 0.1 HP more? It might be more beastly sounding but it is all bogus if you read the threads on this board. People have mentioned fuel economy go down from around 20 to 14 or so. Maybe there is something else wrong with their trucks the fuel economy was never once mentioned to be better then factory setup. I am too in a market to get a $300 CAI but so far 100's of people have replied that I will just throw away my money. I have had a couple of experiences here in NY when people cut me off, probably not seeing the Sport logo and the engine sound is just not loud enough.
I want to show them who I really am about.

Different truck with AFE installed? What does it get you 0.1 HP more? It might be more beastly sounding but it is all bogus if you read the threads on this board. People have mentioned fuel economy go down from around 20 to 14 or so. Maybe there is something else wrong with their trucks the fuel economy was never once mentioned to be better then factory setup. I am too in a market to get a $300 CAI but so far 100's of people have replied that I will just throw away my money. I have had a couple of experiences here in NY when people cut me off, probably not seeing the Sport logo and the engine sound is just not loud enough.
I want to show them who I really am about.

I don't know what you're talking about man. I said a tune makes it a different truck...

Has anyone installed the AFE in their Explorer? I'm trying to see if it would fit in my 2014 SHO. They both have the same exact engine, turbo, airbox, pipe routing, etc... but your hoodline is taller.

Doing the math, the stock airbox and panel filter would choke out the turbos when running any kind of tune. If you use K&N's formula for sizing a panel filter based on CFM, the stock paper filter is a max of 55 in2 while a 3.5L running to 6200 RPM would need almost 64 in2. If we're talking CFM, then the stock SHO/Explorer Sport flows 38 lb/min so it would need almost 500 cfm with 10-11 psi of boost. Any decent 93-octane tune will be running over 14 psi, and the stock GT1549 turbos choke out beyond 48-49 lb/min so the engine then needs almost 700 cfm of airflow. According to K&N, the stock airbox and their K&N panel filter maxes out at 750 cfm - but their math/engineers tell me I need over 800 cfm to satisfy my engine airflow requirements. Their "cold air" intake flows 800 cfm at 1.5 inH2O which according them, is the pressure drop at 2000 RPM, so the conical filter will be more than enough even with aftermarket turbochargers. But a paper filter would most likely choke out at higher RPMs with a tune.

I noticed that with 16 psi, my SHO's STFT drops sharply negative above 5400 RPM (my lambda goes really rich as well). This is either airflow restriction or the turbochargers are way out of efficiency or a combination effect. When I run 11-12 psi of boost, the STFT drops sharply above 5700 RPM so it's a big difference.

What I do know is that our stock paper filters were designed for the 2007 Ford Edge, and our airboxes aren't all that different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what you're talking about man. I said a tune makes it a different truck...

Yeah, but not in power, it only makes 0.5 seconds if not less in 0-60 mph and if you add CAI you could be back to square one.

Back