Hello, fellow PIU owners! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, fellow PIU owners!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer PIU
Hi There,

First time poster here - I wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. Looking forward to chatting with the community and learning what everyone else is up to. I recently bought a 2015 PIU and am loving every minute of it! Here is a quick link to my introduction in the new member section where I give a bit of background and posted a few pics of what I've done to my PIU so far.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-myself-and-the-15-police-interceptor.457940/

Most recent pic of the car with a few mods I've done in the past month. I've just recently discovered plastidip...holy moses that stuff is amazing! Was able to black out a ton of stuff like trim and side mirrors without having to deal with any paint. :)

night_clear.jpg

Hope you guys have a great weekend and drive safe!

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! Can you elaborate on the roof rack setup please? The other thread mentions that it's Thule brand, but the side rails don't look like OEM. I have a naked roof right now, and when I checked different aftermarket roof rack companies I couldn't find anything that claimed to fit.

Looks great! Can you elaborate on the roof rack setup please? The other thread mentions that it's Thule brand, but the side rails don't look like OEM. I have a naked roof right now, and when I checked different aftermarket roof rack companies I couldn't find anything that claimed to fit.

Hi Blob19,

Sure bud, I'll share what I know and hopefully it'll help you get setup with a good rack. I thought about getting the OEM rack at first. It doesn't look horrible, but what ultimately pushed me to Thule was the low profile rails. The OEM rails sit a few inches above the roof with the crossbars sitting flush in between the rail bars. Thule, on the other hand, has rails which sit flush on top of the roof and do not stick up at all. This means you can have the option of easily removing the crossbars in 30 seconds and just have the rails left - and since they sit so low on the roof it's almost like you have nothing there.

The crossbars you want are the Thule Aeroblade Edge (Raised M)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/car-racks/thule-aeroblade-edge-7502-_-7502a

The rails you want are the 60 inch bulk tracks.

Here is a picture of my invoice in case you need to look up exact part numbers
https://s28.postimg.org/y7srd13b1/2017_01_21_7_15_39.jpg

I bought the parts and installed at the same place. Rack n Road. They have a few locations in California and one near me in Seattle. I'm not sure where you live but in case you're close by you can check them out: http://www.racknroad.com/

Hope that helps with your search and good luck to you sir.

Jason

Posting a few pics of where things are at after installing new wheels yesterday. Going to take a break for a month or two to replenish the bank account. Let me know what you guys think!

20170126_150057.jpg

20170126_151038.jpg

20170126_151002.jpg

20170126_151011.jpg

Nice and shiny...for now.;) Did you change the rear emblem? From the angle it still looks blue?

Peter

Yep! Still blue. Been thinking about giving it a coat of plastidip in the next few weeks when I have time. For some reason the blue doesn't bother me in the rear, it kind of grew on me. :)
Nice and shiny...for now.;) Did you change the rear emblem? From the angle it still looks blue?

Peter

I was looking into the roof rack situation, based on the parts list you shared, but now I'm more confused.

2017_01_21_7_15_39.jpg

• The crossbars are Thule brand, but the 60" rails part number 8001606 is a Yakima brand part number.
  • The crossbars say "raised rail" but aren't the bulk tracks considered flush rail?
  • The user manual for fit kit 3114 shows drilling it directly to the roof -- no rails at all.
I could understand if Rack N Road just typed in the Yakima part number accidentally, but the other two are really confusing. I'm wondering if I can just bolt the fit kit directly to the roof and call it a day.

Hey RE,what wheels are those please? Size? Thanks!

Back